Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How strong is a bug roof? (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29250)

carcentric January 5th, 2010 07:59 PM

How strong is a bug roof?

Can a stripped bug body (no doors, lids, glass, pan) rest upside down on its roof without denting?
:Idunno:

lunatic_magnet January 5th, 2010 08:46 PM

Re: How strong is a bug roof?

not in my experience. the dome of the roof itself will cave in pretty easily. its only sheet metal.

you could probably flip it upside down if it was supported at the drip rails on 2x4's or something.

jonjon January 5th, 2010 10:15 PM

lol yeah not unless it has a sunroof or something, i'd keep it supported at the drip rails

bugroadster January 6th, 2010 01:43 AM

not unless you want a flat top definately need support like said above

HeidelbergJohn4.0 January 6th, 2010 04:12 AM

I know it can't take a tree falling on it., and I know that one can roll one through a ditch on the way to school, flip it back on it's wheels and still make it to school on time

somewhere someone posted a picture here of a bug on it's roof. I'm sure the crown of the sheetmetal caved in, but the general curvature of hte roof near the drip rails would probably be ok.

detroit73super January 6th, 2010 01:41 PM

Make a template of roof with paper / carboard and then fabricate a "cradle" like what they use for sailboats. Use (4) pcs. of 3/4" ply to create (2) 1 1/2" wide surfaces and you can even carpet / pad. That way, weight is distributed. Then prob. 4 guys could flip body. 2 can easily carry, but to flip, prob. 4.

briancustoms January 6th, 2010 01:51 PM

Ok, I guess I'll be the first to ask:

Why?:Idunno:

Why can't you just set it on the rockers?

Al Low Ha January 6th, 2010 02:02 PM

I'm with Brian...WHY Doc?

detroit73super January 6th, 2010 02:40 PM

Well why does anyone put a body in a rotisseree ? (yeah, I graduated High School....ok, barely)

Because it sure beats lying on your back media blasting / welding / priming / painting only to have everything fall back down into your face...

carcentric January 6th, 2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancustoms (Post 439722)
Ok, I guess I'll be the first to ask:
Why?:Idunno:

Why can't you just set it on the rockers?

All of the following:
  • I'll be welding square tubing reinforcements into the running board areas and don't want to lay on my back to weld the underside of those tubes.
  • I think it will be easier for me to cut out the spare tire area for an extended wheelbase with the body upside down than by stooping over (I pass out when I try to work while bent over).
  • If the roof could take the weight, I could easily spin the body when I wanted to work on the other end or other side . . . :funny:

So, the alternative to flipping it upside down seems to be rolling it over on its side (like the Morris Minor below). With the running boards and fenders off, laying it on its side will mean it's on its front and rear quarter panels (probably stronger than the roof?). I can still get at the areas I need to work on without making my head feel like it's going to explode.
:thumbsup:
http://www.chertseyminors.co.uk/underfloor.jpg

Al Low Ha January 7th, 2010 10:17 AM

Ah Ha! So if you don't want to fab up a steel rotisserie....detroit73super is on the right track with the boat cradle idea. I made a rotisserie out of wood once kinda like the boat cradle idea...i did it around the outside of the A and B pillars, from the rear shock/body mount area(fenders removed) and all up and over the roof (drip rails are a key!!). Basically 3 ribs all tied together lengthwise...It was "decades" ago...no pics, sorry. Think of it like building a wood boat 'frame' around the outside of your car. Imagine the Morris in your pic in the exact same position but 8" off the ground encased in 3 wooden ribs which would allow you to rotate the car from it's pictured position ..all the way over to the opposite side and stoppable at any point inbetween by simply screwing on a few blocks/stops. I was able to replace heater channels,lower tin, suspension pieces and more without lying on the ground or sitting on a stolen milk crate (lol)

lunatic_magnet January 7th, 2010 10:50 AM

i just did vert reinforcement rails by flipping the body on its side. no body damage that i can see from doing it this way, though i did use some pieces of wood so it didnt get too scraped up by the concrete garage floor.

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2380942_n.jpg

carcentric January 7th, 2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunatic_magnet (Post 439873)
. . . i did use some pieces of wood so it didnt get too scraped up by the concrete garage floor.

I have some 24" square interlocking foam rubber floor tiles I intend to use (over pea gravel).
:thumbsup: