Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum... (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38099)

Metal Twister November 9th, 2014 10:31 AM

Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Ive been watching this thread for awhile. Looks like it is taking shape and thought you guys might be interested? Heck he might be posting here as well? If so disregard... :thumbsup:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...edeuce.945382/

BrownBUGUK November 9th, 2014 12:44 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Amazing work - thanks for the head's up.

alykat November 9th, 2014 01:18 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
I think this guy is an English cousin of MARKH

Metal Twister November 9th, 2014 02:40 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Its funny, this guy is world famous. They are even talking about him on the Rods and Sods forum in the UK. :thumbsup::sawzall::welder::plasmacutter:

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/top...ad-hamb-280553

markh November 10th, 2014 08:47 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Very cool, yet a little weird. Saw his recent posting and link under the intro section. Will be fun to watch. Started having night terrors when I was reading his build thread sitting at my desk.

d3ghia November 11th, 2014 11:59 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Surprized he wasnt kicked off - HAMB being so VW friendly and all.

1jarhead2 November 13th, 2014 08:05 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3ghia (Post 578696)
Surprized he wasnt kicked off - HAMB being so VW friendly and all.

I am also shocked that they havent kicked him off. They kicked me off with Das Speedster as Ryan told me no damn VWs.

d3ghia November 14th, 2014 12:25 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Right? I remember the big fight a couple years back...was it Walt? I'm too tired to look it up, but I remember a few threads on how much they like VWs.

We have a local car club that is "American only". They totally bash the VW, but every one of them has shared the "back when I was..." story of their old bug, ghia, bus or fastback and what a wonderful car it was.

But then they quickly add that now that they are older (average age in this club is probably 65) and they only drive REAL cars - and that VWs are for losers.

Whatever.

theredbarn November 17th, 2014 07:27 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3ghia (Post 578768)
They totally bash the VW, but every one of them has shared the "back when I was..." story of their old bug, ghia, bus or fastback and what a wonderful car it was.

They're totally blowing smoke! Worse yet, most of them bought their "Vintage American Iron" in it's present condition - they've never turned a wrench on it.

I like showing up a little local show and shines that are "open to all cars" just to piss guys like that off...

DrHax November 17th, 2014 11:33 AM

Lots of those people are very arrogant. Were lucky were part of a club that doesn't mind bugs.. but a lot of the car people don't view them as classic cars... despite the fact people go towards them at the car show.

Metal Twister November 17th, 2014 11:51 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
The Hamb isnt about old cars... Its about traditionally done Hot Rods. That eliminates everything but traditional built Hot Rods. I for one think its cool they try to keep their forum on topic and in essence pure old school hot rod. The club hot rod forum is about anything hot rod so bugs are more than welcome there. If this forum was an early German tin only forum I would expect it to be just that. I wouldn't be getting all sideways if I tried to post something on their site that wasnt in keeping with what their forum is all about. Your right there are a few snobs, know it all's, attention whores, and want to be's, on the Hamb but Ive seen those guys on every forum I visit. I come here to talk non stock VW's and there to talk traditional hot rod. So what is the sister site here for? Any hot rod talk?

SCOTTRODS November 17th, 2014 01:46 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
When you go to a forum, you play by the forum rules... or expect trouble.

Something funny but sad... Unkl Ian and others will know this one... Last year or so, The All Metal (Metal shaping) forums told Jesse James to Pound Sand, because he wouldn't sign up and do their process the way they require everyone else has to. I think he would have been an asset to the forums, and I think the forums would be an asset to him as well... but sometimes, ya just gotta work things out... they couldn't get it. Sadly... They have a reason for their process... and it's a respectable process that cuts down on a lot of issues... that situation could have turned out much differently with some diplomacy on both of their parts.

flatheadgary November 17th, 2014 07:40 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
well as expected, they deleted it from their forum today. he should have posted it here and linked it to there. now he would have to post it all over again here. to bad. it was a great thread and incredible work.

V8Transporter November 17th, 2014 08:34 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
I just love the term "Traditional Hot Rods." Back in the day, the guys I knew drove cars they themselves had built. Among them.. a 327 powered MGA; a 289 powered MGB; A 427 powered Austin Healey, lots of fifties' Chevys, a h hemi-powered 53 Ford, my nailhead powered '47 Ford coupe, a Trubo Corvair, a 312 powered '40 ford Coupe...and everyone got along. A THR was whatever you built yourself.

DrHax November 17th, 2014 10:15 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 578836)
I just love the term "Traditional Hot Rods." Back in the day, the guys I knew drove cars they themselves had built. Among them.. a 327 powered MGA; a 289 powered MGB; A 427 powered Austin Healey, lots of fifties' Chevys, a h hemi-powered 53 Ford, my nailhead powered '47 Ford coupe, a Trubo Corvair, a 312 powered '40 ford Coupe...and everyone got along. A THR was whatever you built yourself.

Precisely..since when did traditional hotrods involve Air conditioning and crate motors? :blink: From what i've seen from vintage pictures and stuff its cars that people experimented on and built using what ever parts they could get! I saw a hotrod built in 1954(?) using a chopped 30's ford deuce that was welded to the frame using stick welders and alot of junkyard parts and a mercury flathead.. The farm kid painted it with house paint and had fun with it. Must've been something to see in the day. :ohmy: I've seen the hamb and have no desire to really browse it. :Idunno: If I pick up a a vintage 1950's flathead 6 mopar I may go over there to do some research but not sign up:rollingeyes: I'd rather ask you lot if you have any experiences.. Maybe go the sister forum and see what happens.:funny:

I really enjoy this site because there doesn't seem to be an element of "stick up asses" here. Sure the noobie bashing was a bit worrying, but I just stuck around took the smacks and Now you can't get rid of me! :funny::thumbsup:

If I seem a bit hostile to other car scenes I don't mean to be :unsure: I enjoy all cars, yet most of the time I don't enjoy the scenes or the cliches. I get tired of car bashing (thats not out of joking or fun:funny:) or just general hostility. Being young alot of the car crowd seems to get generally pissy towards interest in the older cars... Whats the issue with young people liking older cars?:wacko:



Also went to the hamb.. Apparently they want back the forum.. I'm guessing it got wacked since it wasn't American steel and somebody made an offensive joke involving henry ford and hitler..:wacko: I'm smelling excuse to just get it off since we got mentioned in it.. Really annoying. Also apparently the volksrod name pisses off that lot!

Pissing off purists since day one really seems to apply there :funny::thumbsup:

V8Transporter November 18th, 2014 10:49 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
I talked with a guy last week who was driving a flat black red wheeled Model A roadster built by a local shop. In fact, the shop builds a lot of these for well heeled folks. The driver said he'd always wanted a hot rod, but didn't have the talent to build it on his own. This guy knew all about the car and wore a grin the whole time we talked.
A positive aspect of guys like this, is that their hard earned bucks support shops like the one mentioned above, my buddy's shop, and lines my wallet at times too. :thumbsup::grin:

DrHax November 18th, 2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 578850)
I talked with a guy last week who was driving a flat black red wheeled Model A roadster built by a local shop. In fact, the shop builds a lot of these for well heeled folks. The driver said he'd always wanted a hot rod, but didn't have the talent to build it on his own. This guy knew all about the car and wore a grin the whole time we talked.
A positive aspect of guys like this, is that their hard earned bucks support shops like the one mentioned above, my buddy's shop, and lines my wallet at times too. :thumbsup::grin:

Yeah those guys are fine. Its the investment type people who just buy the car yet can't talk about it that are annoying. I've met a few people who had cars built to use as summer daily drivers. They know about the car or people who have a car restored. Its the people who open up their wallet and only see in numbers that are usually snobs.

Metal Twister November 18th, 2014 11:39 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHax (Post 578852)
Yeah those guys are fine. Its the investment type people who just buy the car yet can't talk about it that are annoying. I've met a few people who had cars built to use as summer daily drivers. They know about the car or people who have a car restored. Its the people who open up their wallet and only see in numbers that are usually snobs.

So whats the difference between those guys and the guy who buys a Plymouth Prowler or a new style what ever, then has a paint job done on it just to show it off? I guess what I dont get is who gets to say what is right and wrong? Is there a rule somewhere that you cant talk about your ride unless you built it, or be a snob about if you want?
I build cars for a living, mostly the old stuff. Ive walk up behind guys at car shows and they are telling people all about what they did to their cars and how they did it... When they turn around and see me standing there they almost faint realizing that I built their car for them and I over heard what they said. Ya know I could care less! I'm not into these things for the ego factor. I do it because I love building stuff and am good enough at it that people want to pay me to do it for them. Mr. customer bought the bragging rights as far as I'm concerned.

I like talking VW here and old school hot rod on the Hamb and to be honest I don't give a rats ass if the guy built it himself or not. I certainly wouldn't let it affect the way I thought about him one way or another? If he was a snob so be it... Doesn't affect me in any way.

Call me stupid but I just don't get that "I built it and I'm someone for doing it" stuff? :thumbsup: Who cares... :funny: Enjoy it to the max for what it is. It can be a total POS or a show stopper... its all good and worth a look at and a discussion dont ya think? :driving:If the guy blows smoke up your ass just smile and move to the next one. Very few people do everything on a car all by themselves with no outside help or input.

V8Transporter November 18th, 2014 01:31 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Nicely said!

DrHax November 18th, 2014 05:39 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Twister (Post 578853)
So whats the difference between those guys and the guy who buys a Plymouth Prowler or a new style what ever, then has a paint job done on it just to show it off? I guess what I dont get is who gets to say what is right and wrong? Is there a rule somewhere that you cant talk about your ride unless you built it, or be a snob about if you want?
I build cars for a living, mostly the old stuff. Ive walk up behind guys at car shows and they are telling people all about what they did to their cars and how they did it... When they turn around and see me standing there they almost faint realizing that I built their car for them and I over heard what they said. Ya know I could care less! I'm not into these things for the ego factor. I do it because I love building stuff and am good enough at it that people want to pay me to do it for them. Mr. customer bought the bragging rights as far as I'm concerned.

I like talking VW here and old school hot rod on the Hamb and to be honest I don't give a rats ass if the guy built it himself or not. I certainly wouldn't let it affect the way I thought about him one way or another? If he was a snob so be it... Doesn't affect me in any way.

Call me stupid but I just don't get that "I built it and I'm someone for doing it" stuff? :thumbsup: Who cares... :funny: Enjoy it to the max for what it is. It can be a total POS or a show stopper... its all good and worth a look at and a discussion dont ya think? :driving:If the guy blows smoke up your ass just smile and move to the next one. Very few people do everything on a car all by themselves with no outside help or input.


More closer to what I was trying to say. Basically I don't like people who come to shows with trailer queens collect trophies to increase the value of the car then move on. I don't like people who only see the cars in $$$ and then knock other cars that are less $$$ then what you think your cars worth. I have issues with assholes and strict purists.. That why I enjoy the 1958 because its pissed off so many people and has been so much fun. It's even pissed off people who thought it was wasn't worth what we paid then Hagerty valued it at 13k :blink: That shut up a few of the american iron snobs. :funny: I can't wait till I get my poor man's porsche motor in it. :funny:

Jon November 18th, 2014 06:10 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
I would have liked to see him keep the narrowed body lines of the hood.
I also hated seeing the RHD drive dash get wasted for something he likely could have built out of a flat sheetmetal. interesting but seems like a of extra stuff to do with little reason of starting with the beetle.
Not because I am concerned about the use of the beetle but it seems pointless as when you see the where its going and its results.

markh November 19th, 2014 12:10 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
They revived his thread. Fun to watch his progress.

Metal Twister November 19th, 2014 12:18 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Must of saw DrAax's reply and changed their minds? Will keep a flying eyeball on it! Thanks for the heads up...:thumbsup:

DrHax November 19th, 2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Twister (Post 578867)
Must of saw DrAax's reply and changed their minds? Will keep a flying eyeball on it! Thanks for the heads up...:thumbsup:

From the sounds of it people were pissed at the mods for offing it. A lot of them were pissed because instead of cleaning up the thread they just offed it. My gut says it because it wasn't traditional and Gods forbid a volkswagen. But people uproared and basically challenged the mods there... yeah. Reading it was kindve funny.



Still not gonna sign up for that place. :hmm: don't like the atmosphere... I like it here its nice and cozy

uglydog56 December 23rd, 2014 09:37 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Jon, one reason to start with a bug (in fact, it's a major reason I started with one) is that it has a title and a VIN and that makes a lot of things simpler on the back end.

DrHax December 25th, 2014 09:10 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by uglydog56 (Post 579396)
Jon, one reason to start with a bug (in fact, it's a major reason I started with one) is that it has a title and a VIN and that makes a lot of things simpler on the back end.

I always wanted a 1930's mob car style two door. Like a buggatti 57c antique or something of that style... I'm really tempted once I get my welding certification and a better paying job to just go mental and build a body in such a fashion as the beetle duece, But keep the aircooled motor.. just move it to the front :love:

Unkl Ian December 26th, 2014 09:29 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Twister (Post 578827)
The Hamb isnt about old cars...


Step vans, Gassers, "Barn finds", fake patina,
"Show me pictures" threads,
and "what color should I paint my..." threads.
All OK.

Just don't say "Rat Rod" or someone will cry.:crybaby:

I was trying to help a guy there this week.
He has a 1927 American LeFrance fire truck,
that he wants to put brakes on the front of.
The came from the factory, with cable brakes
on the rear only. He has swapped in a 50's(?) motor and rear end. Probably needs custom spindles to fit the stock axle. Had 2 threads deleted, the third got locked.
Obviously not "Cool" enough for someone's taste.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/need-some-spindle-help.956475/#post-10762243
Obviously not











hotrodheb December 26th, 2014 11:16 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
I just read through that thread and I see no reason for it to be locked? It kinda sounds like they have some new moderators that need to back away from their computers and go build something.

Unkl Ian December 26th, 2014 11:22 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodheb (Post 579424)
I just read through that thread and I see no reason for it to be locked? It kinda sounds like they have some new moderators that need to back away from their computers and go build something.


Self declared "Cool kids". :rollingeyes:

V8Transporter December 26th, 2014 05:54 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Yup. From my experience with these 'enthusiasts', they are of the type who are lacking the talent or initiative to actually build something. If you aren't building something "traditional," it isn't a proper hot rod etc. :finger::finger:
Back in the day, you built up what ever you could afford. Projects around me ranged from my Buick powered Ford coupe, Buick powered '55 Ford 4 dr., jacked up '53 Chevys with dul crb sixes, '49 Fords with Aluminum heads, a six cyl '51 Chevy sedan sporting a 'dual' exhaust, a couple of Chevy powered MGs, Merc powered '54 Studebaker, Hemi powered '55 Ford sedan, 'a 425 Buick powered VW bug, 348 '58 Chevy hardtop, Judson blown '55 bug, Corvair powered VW, a '50 Plymouth 2 dr sedan with a 383 Dodge, and on and on. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
It's funny, but back then these cars were not "Traditional" because they were too new weren't Deuce coupes or the "correct" Early Fords. If you looked around and scrounged parts you and your buddies could put together about anything. If you didn't weld, you helped with the project of buddy who could.

Metal Twister December 26th, 2014 07:32 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Wow... all this anger? They believe in building their cars to a certain era, and most likely an era that many of them grew up in. They just want a forum that reflects that and at some point a line has to be drawn as to whether or not what your building is within the frame work of what the forum is intended for? I know if I came here and some guy was chopping down a 62 Plymouth with the plans of someday putting a VW engine in it... well I can only imagine what kind of responses he would get. The 32 ford was only sought after at the time because it was the first V8 powered Hot Rod that was available to the masses. Wasn't til what 53 before Chevrolet figured out what everyone wanted. Who cares who they allow over there? I have traditional hot rods as well as bugs. I could give a rats ass if you guys dont like my Model A's and I could care less if they dont like my bugs. I just dont get this whole dialog? I only posted the original link because it was bug related and thought you guys might be interested... Personally I think his thread would be better suited on this forum but who knows? All I know is I dont really care LOL. Enjoy solving the worlds problems my friends.

DrHax December 26th, 2014 08:35 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
I enjoy the craftsmenship on the beetleduece.. i also laugh at the hambs hatred for bugs.. It's kind've amusing.. Makes me grin at my 1958 just that bit more... really makes me want to crash back to the 50's in it.. (If you've been to MN you know what I'm talking about.) Just to urk people like that. I enjoy Model A's and vintage cars.. Hell I really want an early 50's mopar with the flat head 6! I enjoy everything here. As much as it is sad to see a RHD bug being cut up from the LHD side of the pond.. I realize it was just a shell he got. It's amazing work. I really hope he throws a rover aluminum V8 and makes a grill shell and throws a wolfsburg chrest on it. If he was here I'd show him the link on the person using the top of the vw door frames to make the grill shell! :dancing:

If you're gonna cut up a bug you might as well do something with it :grin:

V8Transporter December 27th, 2014 09:41 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Hmm. Okay, I overreacted a bit, and I see your point. :smile: I like about everything anyone builds. IMHO, all old cars, trucks, busses & bikes are just plain cool.
On the Model A front, my buddy Ron has a Model A coupe, or at least the frame, body, and front axle, complete with a bit of a tree which had grown up through the windshield. We were going to swap in the 289, 3 speed stick and rear end from a '64 Galaxy, but that went into his wife's '49 Shoebox. The '64 is going to a guy who plans to fix it up and "flip it". I think a bit of the tree may become a shift knob for the 'A.' :thumbsup:

Unkl Ian December 27th, 2014 11:15 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkl Ian (Post 579423)
Had 2 threads deleted, the third got locked.
Obviously not "Cool" enough for someone's taste.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/need-some-spindle-help.956475/#post-10762243

Make that 3 threads deleted, on that subject.

Unkl Ian December 28th, 2014 05:59 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkl Ian (Post 579453)
Make that 3 threads deleted, on that subject.


But a search shows 187 threads,
containing the word Seagrave.
20 threads with Seagrave in the subject line.

Maybe it was my fault,

for suggesting disc brakes.:Idunno::Idunno:

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Metal Twister December 28th, 2014 06:23 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkl Ian (Post 579480)
But a search shows 187 threads,
containing the word Seagrave.
20 threads with Seagrave in the subject line.

Maybe it was my fault,

for suggesting disc brakes.:Idunno::Idunno:

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

See they still love ya!

Unkl Ian December 28th, 2014 06:43 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Twister (Post 579483)
See they still love ya!


How dare anyone suggest
a technical improvement,



on a "hot rod" board. :rollingeyes:

V8Transporter December 28th, 2014 08:49 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Instead of disc brakes, how about a simple drag chute?

HeidelbergJohn4.0 December 30th, 2014 05:40 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
"I don't have the metalworking tools (or skills!) to hand-form the panels"

I call bullshit!

DrHax December 30th, 2014 09:16 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 (Post 579501)
"I don't have the metalworking tools (or skills!) to hand-form the panels"

I call bullshit!

Agreed. :blink: Just the lead slinging on it is making me go :ohmy: Makes me really itch to work on mine. :sad: Once I'm done with school I'll get a nice welder and just bunker down. :grin::thumbsup:

SCOTTRODS December 31st, 2014 03:11 AM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 (Post 579501)
"I don't have the metalworking tools (or skills!) to hand-form the panels"

I call bullshit!

Me too... HArbor freight Hammer and a Stump and some screwdrivers, and other pieces of wood... If he can weld like he's doin', he has the minimal tools, but maybe not the skills.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ALL text, images, graphics and content herein are Copyright 2002 - 2020 Three Pugs Design - Cut Weld Drive Forums