Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum... (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38099)

DrHax December 25th, 2014 09:10 PM

Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglydog56 (Post 579396)
Jon, one reason to start with a bug (in fact, it's a major reason I started with one) is that it has a title and a VIN and that makes a lot of things simpler on the back end.

I always wanted a 1930's mob car style two door. Like a buggatti 57c antique or something of that style... I'm really tempted once I get my welding certification and a better paying job to just go mental and build a body in such a fashion as the beetle duece, But keep the aircooled motor.. just move it to the front :love:

Unkl Ian December 26th, 2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Twister (Post 578827)
The Hamb isnt about old cars...

Step vans, Gassers, "Barn finds", fake patina,
"Show me pictures" threads,
and "what color should I paint my..." threads.
All OK.

Just don't say "Rat Rod" or someone will cry.:crybaby:

I was trying to help a guy there this week.
He has a 1927 American LeFrance fire truck,
that he wants to put brakes on the front of.
The came from the factory, with cable brakes
on the rear only. He has swapped in a 50's(?) motor and rear end. Probably needs custom spindles to fit the stock axle. Had 2 threads deleted, the third got locked.
Obviously not "Cool" enough for someone's taste.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/need-some-spindle-help.956475/#post-10762243
Obviously not

hotrodheb December 26th, 2014 11:16 AM

I just read through that thread and I see no reason for it to be locked? It kinda sounds like they have some new moderators that need to back away from their computers and go build something.

Unkl Ian December 26th, 2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrodheb (Post 579424)
I just read through that thread and I see no reason for it to be locked? It kinda sounds like they have some new moderators that need to back away from their computers and go build something.

Self declared "Cool kids". :rollingeyes:

V8Transporter December 26th, 2014 05:54 PM

Yup. From my experience with these 'enthusiasts', they are of the type who are lacking the talent or initiative to actually build something. If you aren't building something "traditional," it isn't a proper hot rod etc. :finger::finger:
Back in the day, you built up what ever you could afford. Projects around me ranged from my Buick powered Ford coupe, Buick powered '55 Ford 4 dr., jacked up '53 Chevys with dul crb sixes, '49 Fords with Aluminum heads, a six cyl '51 Chevy sedan sporting a 'dual' exhaust, a couple of Chevy powered MGs, Merc powered '54 Studebaker, Hemi powered '55 Ford sedan, 'a 425 Buick powered VW bug, 348 '58 Chevy hardtop, Judson blown '55 bug, Corvair powered VW, a '50 Plymouth 2 dr sedan with a 383 Dodge, and on and on. :thumbsup::thumbsup:
It's funny, but back then these cars were not "Traditional" because they were too new weren't Deuce coupes or the "correct" Early Fords. If you looked around and scrounged parts you and your buddies could put together about anything. If you didn't weld, you helped with the project of buddy who could.

Metal Twister December 26th, 2014 07:32 PM

Wow... all this anger? They believe in building their cars to a certain era, and most likely an era that many of them grew up in. They just want a forum that reflects that and at some point a line has to be drawn as to whether or not what your building is within the frame work of what the forum is intended for? I know if I came here and some guy was chopping down a 62 Plymouth with the plans of someday putting a VW engine in it... well I can only imagine what kind of responses he would get. The 32 ford was only sought after at the time because it was the first V8 powered Hot Rod that was available to the masses. Wasn't til what 53 before Chevrolet figured out what everyone wanted. Who cares who they allow over there? I have traditional hot rods as well as bugs. I could give a rats ass if you guys dont like my Model A's and I could care less if they dont like my bugs. I just dont get this whole dialog? I only posted the original link because it was bug related and thought you guys might be interested... Personally I think his thread would be better suited on this forum but who knows? All I know is I dont really care LOL. Enjoy solving the worlds problems my friends.

DrHax December 26th, 2014 08:35 PM

I enjoy the craftsmenship on the beetleduece.. i also laugh at the hambs hatred for bugs.. It's kind've amusing.. Makes me grin at my 1958 just that bit more... really makes me want to crash back to the 50's in it.. (If you've been to MN you know what I'm talking about.) Just to urk people like that. I enjoy Model A's and vintage cars.. Hell I really want an early 50's mopar with the flat head 6! I enjoy everything here. As much as it is sad to see a RHD bug being cut up from the LHD side of the pond.. I realize it was just a shell he got. It's amazing work. I really hope he throws a rover aluminum V8 and makes a grill shell and throws a wolfsburg chrest on it. If he was here I'd show him the link on the person using the top of the vw door frames to make the grill shell! :dancing:

If you're gonna cut up a bug you might as well do something with it :grin:

V8Transporter December 27th, 2014 09:41 AM

Hmm. Okay, I overreacted a bit, and I see your point. :smile: I like about everything anyone builds. IMHO, all old cars, trucks, busses & bikes are just plain cool.
On the Model A front, my buddy Ron has a Model A coupe, or at least the frame, body, and front axle, complete with a bit of a tree which had grown up through the windshield. We were going to swap in the 289, 3 speed stick and rear end from a '64 Galaxy, but that went into his wife's '49 Shoebox. The '64 is going to a guy who plans to fix it up and "flip it". I think a bit of the tree may become a shift knob for the 'A.' :thumbsup:

Unkl Ian December 27th, 2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkl Ian (Post 579423)
Had 2 threads deleted, the third got locked.
Obviously not "Cool" enough for someone's taste.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/need-some-spindle-help.956475/#post-10762243

Make that 3 threads deleted, on that subject.

Unkl Ian December 28th, 2014 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkl Ian (Post 579453)
Make that 3 threads deleted, on that subject.

But a search shows 187 threads,
containing the word Seagrave.
20 threads with Seagrave in the subject line.

Maybe it was my fault,

for suggesting disc brakes.:Idunno::Idunno:

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

Metal Twister December 28th, 2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkl Ian (Post 579480)
But a search shows 187 threads,
containing the word Seagrave.
20 threads with Seagrave in the subject line.

Maybe it was my fault,

for suggesting disc brakes.:Idunno::Idunno:

:panic::panic::panic::panic::panic::panic:

See they still love ya!

Unkl Ian December 28th, 2014 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metal Twister (Post 579483)
See they still love ya!

How dare anyone suggest
a technical improvement,

on a "hot rod" board. :rollingeyes:

V8Transporter December 28th, 2014 08:49 PM

Instead of disc brakes, how about a simple drag chute?

HeidelbergJohn4.0 December 30th, 2014 05:40 AM

"I don't have the metalworking tools (or skills!) to hand-form the panels"

I call bullshit!

DrHax December 30th, 2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 (Post 579501)

I call bullshit!

Agreed. :blink: Just the lead slinging on it is making me go :ohmy: Makes me really itch to work on mine. :sad: Once I'm done with school I'll get a nice welder and just bunker down. :grin::thumbsup:

SCOTTRODS December 31st, 2014 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 (Post 579501)

I call bullshit!

Me too... HArbor freight Hammer and a Stump and some screwdrivers, and other pieces of wood... If he can weld like he's doin', he has the minimal tools, but maybe not the skills.