Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Tech Bin (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How-to-leadfill. (Lead or Lead-Free) (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10230)

Hebster52 March 7th, 2006 10:28 PM

How-to-leadfill. (Lead or Lead-Free)

To continue the How-to's, I'll post this link of a cool video on How-to-Ledfill in a separate thread too. :thumbsup:
http://www.voodoo-people.com/~daz/mu...ull@hugo14.wmv :welder:

Cobey March 8th, 2006 07:30 AM

Cool! I solder *a lot* for work, but nothing one that scale. Doesn't look to hard. Wonder if that was real lead or the lead free stuff, and if they should have been wearing a breather mask.

Maxx March 8th, 2006 07:50 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cobey @ Mar 8 2006, 11:30 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Wonder if that was real lead or the lead free stuff, and if they should have been wearing a breather mask.
[/b][/quote]I was going to ask the same thing.

"...Lead particles and fumes are created through sanding, scraping or burning lead surfaces or welding and cutting lead or lead painted objects common in lead industry and bridge and building renovation work. Hobby activities that involve melting, burning, cutting or casting lead can also create respirable lead fumes and lead particles....

...Studies of workers in lead industries have found chronic overexposure to lead may result in damage to the kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, peripheral and central nervous systems, reproductive system and blood-forming organs...."

Lead is some scary stuff.

Jon March 8th, 2006 05:33 PM

Thats cool. I have always wanted to do this. That makes it look so easy. I Thought it was really difficult.....

Anyway, what kinda Torch is that ? I would love to get one and do this.

Cobey March 8th, 2006 06:58 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Maxx @ Mar 8 2006, 08:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cobey @ Mar 8 2006, 11:30 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>Wonder if that was real lead or the lead free stuff, and if they should have been wearing a breather mask.
[/b][/quote]I was going to ask the same thing.

"...Lead particles and fumes are created through sanding, scraping or burning lead surfaces or welding and cutting lead or lead painted objects common in lead industry and bridge and building renovation work. Hobby activities that involve melting, burning, cutting or casting lead can also create respirable lead fumes and lead particles....

...Studies of workers in lead industries have found chronic overexposure to lead may result in damage to the kidneys, gastrointestinal tract, peripheral and central nervous systems, reproductive system and blood-forming organs...."

Lead is some scary stuff.
[/b][/quote]

I know for the smaller stuff, we use hoods to suck up the flux vapors and lead particles. I guess it depends on the shop they used and if they did indeed use the lead free.

Jon March 9th, 2006 01:33 PM

What kinda torch is that?

purplemyth August 16th, 2006 07:29 AM

Re: How-to-ledfill.

(don't mind me~ I'm loafing this morning)
can somebody with a faster connection, (dialup sux) see if the above wmv is valid?
might be another thread for the tech bin? :Idunno:

bigguy August 16th, 2006 07:38 AM

it still works.

Hebster52 August 16th, 2006 08:52 AM

Yeap, it works. :thumbsup:

My brother and I have started to learn how to solder and it acctually isn't that hard. Just about as easy as it seems in this video. :wink:

My brother is working on an 1964 Austin Mini.:thumbsup:

Could be an idea to ad a link to this thread in the "Too lazy to search" sticky?:Idunno:

purplemyth August 16th, 2006 09:22 AM

tech bin~

Flipper_1938 August 16th, 2006 09:37 AM

Pretty cool.

I'll stick with plastic filler though.

mikevw August 16th, 2006 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon
What kinda torch is that?

That looks like a propane torch with an electronic iginition. Only reason I know this is because I was scoping it out at Harbor Freight:wink: . What is the grey stuff he paints on and burns off?

Mike

bigguy August 16th, 2006 01:34 PM

flux