Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rear swing axle air suspension (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37973)

Ron burgandy July 22nd, 2014 06:11 PM

Rear swing axle air suspension

I have searched and found nothing on this. I know airkwelds system, but I want to build my own. Does anyone want to share there own designs? Pictures would be great too

Ron burgandy July 23rd, 2014 02:10 PM

Re: Rear swing axle air suspension

So no one has made there own air suspension set up?

Unkl Ian July 23rd, 2014 03:01 PM

I wouldn't copy Airkwld's stuff exactly.

Ron burgandy July 23rd, 2014 04:04 PM

Lots of good info on those links, I think the hardest part would be the heim joint set up.

Ron burgandy July 23rd, 2014 05:41 PM

What shocks are people using with rear bags? Stock or short length? Trying to get as low as possible, I already have a 4" trans raise.

d3ghia July 23rd, 2014 07:56 PM

Hey Ron - I usually shake my dick five times after pissing. My favorite band is Pink Floyd, I drink cherry kool-aid and keep my keys in my right pocket.

Want me to tell you what I fantasize about when I punch the clown?

How about you search the many, many car forums, read a bit and then make your own decisions?

The Samba has a gazillion threads on it, stf has info, there is info here and I bet a few ninitruck and ricer forums talk about it too. Fuck me - I bet the HAMB even has a thread or two on bags.

We share ideas here, talk some shit, show our lack of progress and general BS. If you want someone to hold your dick for you - well, you're in the wrong place.

V8Transporter July 23rd, 2014 08:32 PM

"Hey Ron - I usually shake my dick five times after pissing. My favorite band is Pink Floyd, I drink cherry kool-aid and keep my keys in my right pocket."

Urk, waaay too much info for me.:blink::blink:

Ron burgandy July 24th, 2014 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d3ghia (Post 576247)
Hey Ron - I usually shake my dick five times after pissing. My favorite band is Pink Floyd, I drink cherry kool-aid and keep my keys in my right pocket.

Want me to tell you what I fantasize about when I punch the clown?

How about you search the many, many car forums, read a bit and then make your own decisions?

The Samba has a gazillion threads on it, stf has info, there is info here and I bet a few ninitruck and ricer forums talk about it too. Fuck me - I bet the HAMB even has a thread or two on bags.

We share ideas here, talk some shit, show our lack of progress and general BS. If you want someone to hold your dick for you - well, you're in the wrong place.

Thanks for the response, i'm glad you jerk off after you piss. Great information there, fyi I have searched up and down on numerous forums. I was mainly looking for different ways to go about it. This is why I dont post anything. I have been a member of this site for awhile, just reading and watching. I have built my car from the ground up and this is what I get when I ask a question? I guess that you and this forum are way too good for me then. So please go fuck yourself and have a good day.

alabama madman July 24th, 2014 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron burgandy (Post 576252)
Thanks for the response, i'm glad you jerk off after you piss. Great information there, fyi I have searched up and down on numerous forums. I was mainly looking for different ways to go about it. This is why I dont post anything. I have been a member of this site for awhile, just reading and watching. I have built my car from the ground up and this is what I get when I ask a question? I guess that you and this forum are way too good for me then. So please go fuck yourself and have a good day.

Dude, don't be so think skinned, if you haven't found anything online, then dig a little deeper, The information is out there, But I'll be the first to admit I'll ask a question and then fined the answer 10 minutes later, Hell, I'm lazy, would rather someone tell me the answer than look for it. And I understand some of the guys get frustrated when they have to answer the same question over and over, I'm On Pirate 4x4, cause I do the 4x4 thing too, and trust me after being on that site your skin harden rather quickly, them guy will flame you in a heartbeat, but there is alot of good information there as well, same with this site, there is a wealth of knowledge on the site and in the heads of the members, so Chill just a little, and the info will come, either by someone telling you or telling you where to look.

Ron burgandy July 24th, 2014 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alabama madman (Post 576253)
Dude, don't be so think skinned, if you haven't found anything online, then dig a little deeper, The information is out there, But I'll be the first to admit I'll ask a question and then fined the answer 10 minutes later, Hell, I'm lazy, would rather someone tell me the answer than look for it. And I understand some of the guys get frustrated when they have to answer the same question over and over, I'm On Pirate 4x4, cause I do the 4x4 thing too, and trust me after being on that site your skin harden rather quickly, them guy will flame you in a heartbeat, but there is alot of good information there as well, same with this site, there is a wealth of knowledge on the site and in the heads of the members, so Chill just a little, and the info will come, either by someone telling you or telling you where to look.

There is alot of good information out there, believe I have looked and rear so much. I was just looking for something "different", not the airkweld stlye. Thats what I was looking to see. Like a 4 link set up or something. As for the thick skin, I take the bad with the good. Just for my first real post after almost a year then that. I ffind that very degrading and uncalled for. I help any one with any questions they might have in any way shape or form. I build custom stuff all the time, I just need some inspiration not mocking.

hotrodheb July 24th, 2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron burgandy (Post 576256)
I was just looking for something "different", not the airkweld stlye. Thats what I was looking to see. Like a 4 link set up or something.

The Airkewld style and similar rear bag set ups are popular because they are simple and fairly easy to do. If you want some inspiration for something different, check out the Flat4rd. While it's not bagged, it could be easily. Here is a quick pic for you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...AtWalts007.jpg

I am planning on doing something similar but with bags on a future project of mine, but that project is a few years down the list for me.

Now a couple of things for you to think about concerning the "welcome" you got in this thread...

1) Only a small subset of volksrods use airbags.

2) You have been here over a year and have not added anything to any other discussions.

3) When your question had not gotten a response, you posted this "So no one has made there own air suspension set up?' While this may have just been an honest question, it could easily be read with a different tone.

4) You have no idea how many people we have seen on the site that come here and do not contribute anything to the site, but want/demand a response the moment they have a question. Oh and once they have their answer, they are gone again.

So sit back and relax. Get to know the people on here, some of them are really great. Some are fucking assholes. I wish I knew which column I belong to???:blink:

Ron burgandy July 24th, 2014 09:55 AM

now that is really different:thumbsup: I do understand where your coming from. I will try to interact more, I am on this site quite a bit. I guess I could of worded my second response differently. I guess I would be a match on the asshole side:grin:

hotrodheb July 24th, 2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron burgandy (Post 576259)
I guess I would be a match on the asshole side:grin:

Then you may just fit in here yet!

Your choptop project is looking good by the way!

Ron burgandy July 24th, 2014 01:53 PM

Thank you, I have to post some more recent pictures. It's finally going back together.

metalmaster1766 July 24th, 2014 06:27 PM

Don't worry, I can be an ass hole now & then

Ron

d3ghia July 24th, 2014 08:11 PM

Ron - I can appreciate that you have been here for awhile and that you are making progress on your project (does look good btw). I agree with comment above that it is annoying when someone pops in - demands an answer right now - and then pops out.

I put you in that category. If you are not in that category - then by all means, stick around - we need more assholes!
:funny:

Those that have gotten to know me on this forum do know that I have only gone after two people on here that definitely deserved it.

I know that I (and many others) read comments like this:

Hey, I am building X and have this done so far (show pictures). I am thinking about doing Y to it and have seen example 1, example 2 and example 3. I am wanting to combine example 2 and 3 to accomplish Y. Am I overlooking something that would prevent this?

This is read an honest question from someone working on something himself and not asking anyone to hold his dick for him. He has demonstrated that he has researched and is also committed to doing a project.

Hey, can someone give me a templete on how to build a volksrod? Thanks.

This is read differently. This usually gets people fucked with. This is usually someone that posts one or two times and then is gone. They possible started screwing up a decent VW and end up trying to sell it on the Samba for $6,000 as a volksrod project. Then they buy a prius.

So - I do apologize for jumping in feet first. I hope you do understand and don't harbor a grudge.

A few things I found today that you may have already seen:

from the samba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ension&start=0

This one has a unique Type III set up plus some good discussion.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ide+suspension

This one has a lot of talk about different shock lengths (something you mentioned) as well as a lot of discussion and links to different builds and different components.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...ension&start=0

And before anyone gets in my Wheaties for the Prius comment - :finger:. I do know that some of you are still cool despite rockin' a Prius - but at some point you have to stop telling everyone that it is your wife's car! :funny::funny:

DrHax July 24th, 2014 10:03 PM

I'd start looking at rat rods.. I've seen more then a few bagged so they can just slam onto the ground and shoot sparks everywhere. Or even look at what it takes.. then plot it out.

Even if you have to scribble out the plan on a napkin with a crayon it will help.. or use MS paint or something. There's multiple questions you need to ask yourself, like what the hell are you trying to accomplish. I don't know much about air bags but they seem relatively simple.. :Idunno: I'm still a newbie here but I like it here because most of the people have a foot into the wacky unknown.. So if you post a design or an idea I betcha one person would tell you if its gonna work or not.. Or hell if you come up with something that does work.. still post it.. :thumbsup: that way if somebody asks the same question we can bash it over their head and direct them your way :funny:

Ron burgandy July 25th, 2014 05:13 AM

D3ghia- I guess I should of worded my question and second post differently. I can see where it would come off seeming demanding. This is my first bug project so I feel that I should not comment on other peoples cars because of the lack of experience in this subject. I have read and learned ALOT from all of you on here. I am like the crazy stalker lurking and watching, holding my dick:hello:. I have to add a ton of photos with some custom stuff I have built for the bug. Maybe someone can use my ideas for there own project. I will try to be more interactive with the forum. I do appoligise for tell you to go f@#$ yourself, thats just the asshole in me jumping out. Thanks for the links and more ideas, I will post the progress as it goes.

Ron burgandy July 25th, 2014 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrHax (Post 576293)
I'd start looking at rat rods.. I've seen more then a few bagged so they can just slam onto the ground and shoot sparks everywhere. Or even look at what it takes.. then plot it out.

Even if you have to scribble out the plan on a napkin with a crayon it will help.. or use MS paint or something. There's multiple questions you need to ask yourself, like what the hell are you trying to accomplish. I don't know much about air bags but they seem relatively simple.. :Idunno: I'm still a newbie here but I like it here because most of the people have a foot into the wacky unknown.. So if you post a design or an idea I betcha one person would tell you if its gonna work or not.. Or hell if you come up with something that does work.. still post it.. :thumbsup: that way if somebody asks the same question we can bash it over their head and direct them your way :funny:

Belive me I have a notebook full of ideas. The problem is that most bagged bugs ahve stock size tires so its easy to get on the ground. Now when your running a 28" tall tire it becomes alot harder to get that low. Mind you I have a 4" trans raise. I have swapped from a short axle to long axle set up so the tires can have the extreme negative camber needed to get on the ground. Now welcome to my world, lol:plasmacutter:

DrHax July 25th, 2014 06:27 AM

I wonder if it'd be possible to bag the torsion arms themselves. Seems like a highly stupid idea and isn't practical but then again what is with our cars :funny:

V8Transporter July 25th, 2014 07:23 AM

Air bagged torsion bars? How about if you ground down the inner torsion bar splines so that end would rotate freely? Cut a 3" or so horizontal, by 2" high +or- slot in the torsion bar housing out near the shock mount. The area around the slot could be built up for strength. Modify the torsion bar so a pad (think ping pong paddle shape with gussets from the handle to the round end) could be attached with the bar in place...which would move up and down in the slot. The pad would be for the lower bag. Fabricate an upper bag mount and there you go. Things to watch out for would be welding to the 'bar as it's spring steel, but not impossible for the talent around here.:bow:
Of course, this suggestion comes from the guy who runs rear leaf springs and a 9" Ford at the rear of his Single Cab.:grin:
As an added (and cheap) incentive, I'll ship a six pack, brand of the builders choice, to the first guy who makes this work!:thumbsup:
And now, let the head scratching begin!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ron burgandy July 25th, 2014 07:54 AM

I had a similar idea with the torsion bar, just didnt think about grinding the splines off:clapping:. The spring steel welding might be a issue. The only problem I would see would be the shock would compress and bottom out before you would get too low. maybe cut and raise the upper shock mount?

metalmaster1766 July 25th, 2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 576300)
I'll ship a six pack, brand of the builders choice, to the first guy who makes this work!:thumbsup:
And now, let the head scratching begin!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Do they sell 6 packs of Tequila ??

Hmm, almost makes me wanna go out & bag my Bug

Ron

unclefargo July 25th, 2014 06:03 PM

I've been playing around with an idea of how to use the stock torque rods in a mid engine. So you don't need to weld the spring steel. You could cut the spline socket from two rear tubes, weld the "ping pong paddles" to them. Then use short rods with long rod outer ends and training arms and shorten the inner ends of the torque tube and provide an inner bearing for the torque rod This will position the air bags next to the gearbox. Sorry, I have no diagram, it's just something rattling around in my head.

livin_in_a_cell July 25th, 2014 07:23 PM

Ok well I know i don't quite talk on here enough, and am a lurker just like you, but I've been looking into the same thing as you, just to lay out my rod on some bags. To me the rear is a lil more complicated and I haven't fully pulled my idea together, but I will use the heim joint idea with some type of cross brace for my swing axle and just use heim joints. I have a buddy whose done crazy pre-runners to sliding drifting cars and everything in between. It's hard for me to explain the rear.

On the front that's a different story, I'm looking to narrow the beam and just single bag it, no shock towers, and probably look for some knee action shocks to help the ride a bit more. I already run with no shocks up front and don't get me wrong it rides loopy but I don't mind. I am kind of going to go off this idea, I really like the simplicity, as for me it won't be so simple.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/vie...e+bag+air+ride

Just dropped in with my 2cents I guess lol.:AssScratch: