Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I build things...only smaller.... (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33468)

Franklin April 16th, 2011 07:01 AM

I build things...only smaller....

As mentioned in my intro, I have been lurking here for a bit, then decided to join. I am amazed at the talent, passion and skills you all have! I have been building VW's for a while, "only smaller" and have gotten a lot of design inspiration for vehicle designs and customizing from this site. My builds are about 1/10th scale and are full function radio control. They combine bits and pieces from kits, toys and a lot of scratch built components. I figured I'd share my latest project, which is still a work in progress. Thanks and please let me know if this is the correct forum.

purplemyth April 16th, 2011 07:21 AM

Re: I build things...only smaller....

Down right cool! love the details , that is one beefy front beam :thumbsup:
We have a model thread if you build other things too, but hmm, not an RC thread (I don't think)~ oh, and you're in the right forum :grin:

marnat3 April 16th, 2011 07:28 AM

like I said before Badass:thumbsup:

Franklin April 16th, 2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplemyth (Post 507313)
Down right cool! love the details , that is one beefy front beam :thumbsup:
We have a model thread if you build other things too, but hmm, not an RC thread (I don't think)~ oh, and you're in the right forum :grin:

Thanks for the comments! I will look for the model thread-I am a slow newbie.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marnat3 (Post 507314)
like I said before Badass:thumbsup:

Appreciate the feedback and thanks for your suggestion of posting in the forum!

yimbo April 16th, 2011 08:53 AM

It take as much skill to build in miniature as it does full size, probably more. Where did you get the good rubber tires. When I got into building model cars back in the late 60s early 70s we used to hoard the good rubber wide tires and we would take slicks and roll them over sections of heated window screen to produce a tread design, use the little bell shaped pieces at the ends of light pull cords for velocity stacks, ink pen springs for coil overs. It was a lot of fun finding things to workwith. We also used the old "Vaccu Form" toy to make copies of hot wheels car for our HO car track.
Your car looks great.

Franklin April 16th, 2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yimbo (Post 507320)
It take as much skill to build in miniature as it does full size, probably more. Where did you get the good rubber tires. When I got into building model cars back in the late 60s early 70s we used to hoard the good rubber wide tires and we would take slicks and roll them over sections of heated window screen to produce a tread design, use the little bell shaped pieces at the ends of light pull cords for velocity stacks, ink pen springs for coil overs. It was a lot of fun finding things to workwith. We also used the old "Vaccu Form" toy to make copies of hot wheels car for our HO car track.
Your car looks great.

Hey thanks much for the feedback! The front tires are from a kit made by Tamiya, the rears and the wheels are from a company called RC4WD. I had to narrow the fronts. I appreciate and can relate to your comments about tricks and looking for things to re-purpose, like the pull cords and the pen springs. Those are great ideas. I would love to get my hands on one of those old Mattel Vac-Form machines too. I used button covers from a craft store for the dog dish hubcaps, the stinger is the holder from one of those bank counter pens (don't ask where I got it!). The roll cage is made from 3/16 brake line bent and brazed together. There are a lot of other things like that used for function and details. Finding and re-using stuff is part of the fun-

Franklin April 16th, 2011 09:12 AM

Here's another one:

purplemyth April 16th, 2011 09:39 AM

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showt...els#post501209
short cut :)

Steve April 16th, 2011 09:47 AM

Very cool, man!

Al Low Ha April 16th, 2011 10:05 AM

Insane! You know.......you might just consider building the 'real deal'.....
Aloha

rodderdan April 16th, 2011 10:09 AM

Way cool.Looks real in the first photo.

Franklin April 16th, 2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplemyth (Post 507323)

Thanks-I found it-pls excuse the newbie-ness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 507326)
Very cool, man!

Appreciate it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Low Ha (Post 507329)
Insane! You know.......you might just consider building the 'real deal'.....
Aloha

I've been called that before. I would love to build the real deal but this scale allows me to build a few cars a year in a fraction of the space!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodderdan (Post 507330)
Way cool.Looks real in the first photo.

Thanks. Means a lot!

RichG April 16th, 2011 11:44 AM

Those things are neat, do you sell them?:smile::thumbsup:

Franklin April 16th, 2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichG (Post 507340)
Those things are neat, do you sell them?:smile::thumbsup:

Thanks! Not at the moment-maybe someday-when/if I get tired of having this stuff around. Right now is a good hobby for me and I enjoy having them around to futz with on an ongoing basis.

Steve April 16th, 2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 507338)
Thanks-I found it-pls excuse the newbie-ness.

No problems here. I think these things are most definitely worthy of their own thread. :thumbsup:

alykat April 16th, 2011 12:33 PM

Great work! I would like to see a pic of a person holding one so so I can fix a basis of scale in my mind.

purplemyth April 16th, 2011 12:33 PM

like I said, there is no RC thread, so ya done good as boss said :thumbsup:
That bus puts the DUB City RCs to shame :bow:

1959cutter April 16th, 2011 01:46 PM

franklin,youre cars rock!
hey in my work as a dental technitian,I have a 5'X5' vacuume forming machine for vacuuming impression tray's.http://cgi.ebay.com/Lab-Dental-Vacuu...item27ba1c7898 this will work better than any toy (you can find them cheaper on craigslist)the plastic blanks can be purchased at Patterson dental supply. call them and tell them of you're Idea and they will help you find the right thickness sheets to buy.the sheets cost about 14.00 for 25.
I hope this helps.P,S. they alst forever even with daily use.

1959cutter April 16th, 2011 01:50 PM

on a second note: if you need anything done,I would be glad to form anything you might need,without having to purchace a machine.

V8Transporter April 16th, 2011 02:42 PM

Hey, that is amazing work! I thought that they were full scale. The detail is just incredible.:clapping::clapping:

Steve White April 16th, 2011 05:02 PM

I 2nd everything that has been said. I too thought the first car was real when the thread first opened up and my first thought was "holey shit!.. look at that front beam!"

Very very impressive. Welcome to the site, you belong here :D

Franklin April 16th, 2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 507349)
No problems here. I think these things are most definitely worthy of their own thread. :thumbsup:

Great man, Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by alykat (Post 507351)
Great work! I would like to see a pic of a person holding one so so I can fix a basis of scale in my mind.

I will take a pic tomorrow for scale but for reference, these models have a wheelbase of about 12 inches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplemyth (Post 507352)
like I said, there is no RC thread, so ya done good as boss said :thumbsup:
That bus puts the DUB City RCs to shame :bow:

Ha! Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1959cutter (Post 507367)
franklin,youre cars rock!
hey in my work as a dental technitian,I have a 5'X5' vacuume forming machine for vacuuming impression tray's.http://cgi.ebay.com/Lab-Dental-Vacuu...item27ba1c7898 this will work better than any toy (you can find them cheaper on craigslist)the plastic blanks can be purchased at Patterson dental supply. call them and tell them of you're Idea and they will help you find the right thickness sheets to buy.the sheets cost about 14.00 for 25.
I hope this helps.P,S. they alst forever even with daily use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1959cutter (Post 507368)
on a second note: if you need anything done,I would be glad to form anything you might need,without having to purchace a machine.

OK-will keep that in mind. Right now, these are one-offs but if there is a need to dupe anything I will get in touch. Looks like a cool machine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 507374)
Hey, that is amazing work! I thought that they were full scale. The detail is just incredible.:clapping::clapping:

Appreciate the feedback. Inspiring. Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve White (Post 507408)
I 2nd everything that has been said. I too thought the first car was real when the thread first opened up and my first thought was "holey shit!.. look at that front beam!"

That is a big front beam-agree. Tamiya makes the front suspension and while it is beefy, it hold up well in this scale. i think if it were scaled off the real 1:1 dimensions, it would not be strong enough to bash around.

Very very impressive. Welcome to the site, you belong here :D

Really appreciate it. Thank you.

Franklin April 16th, 2011 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres a an early glimpse of my next build. I was inspired buy a few of the builds here that go after that "businessman's coupe" look. I started to hack at the body, chopped and shortened the green house, then modified the engine lid area to blend in. Lots more work to go but you get the idea.

Franklin April 16th, 2011 06:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more progress-still figuring out the chassis components but I wanted to make sure I could pull this off first. I have a lot more filling and futzing to go. The color will be a satin version of the gray you see in the last pic.

Steve White April 16th, 2011 06:47 PM

lol, your basing it off stuff you have seen here? You keep building stuff like that and there will be people here basing the real thing off stuff you have built. That looks killer!

RichG April 16th, 2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 507412)
Heres a an early glimpse of my next build. I was inspired buy a few of the builds here that go after that "businessman's coupe" look. I started to hack at the body, chopped and shortened the green house, then modified the engine lid area to blend in. Lots more work to go but you get the idea.

Dang, it's like a miniature "how-to" guide!:bow:

V8Transporter April 16th, 2011 07:45 PM

I'm thinking that after the business coupe, he should move on to a singlecab....:wink:

Palepainter April 16th, 2011 08:12 PM

Your real name wouldn't happen to be Santa Claus
would it? HEHE. Those are super cool. Wow. Amazing craftsmanship.

Pop April 17th, 2011 05:04 AM

Speaking as an old model airplane builder, YOU HAVE TALENT. Have you thought about turning your hobby into a business? You know, getting paid to have fun. If I had the money to buy a big buck VW, I would want a model of it from you. Pop

Pop April 17th, 2011 05:13 AM

I love that bus. I used to have a 1966. Look at the windshield where the windshield wipers has cleaned the glass. Great detail. Pop

backpackr63 April 17th, 2011 07:08 AM

Awesome stuff! The detail in your work is wicked!

Franklin April 17th, 2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve White (Post 507424)
lol, your basing it off stuff you have seen here? You keep building stuff like that and there will be people here basing the real thing off stuff you have built. That looks killer!

Ha-now that would be a kicker!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichG (Post 507427)
Dang, it's like a miniature "how-to" guide!:bow:

Yeah-only I learned more about sectioning and chopping from here!

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 507435)
I'm thinking that after the business coupe, he should move on to a singlecab....:wink:

mmmmm-maybe-

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palepainter (Post 507440)
Your real name wouldn't happen to be Santa Claus
would it? HEHE. Those are super cool. Wow. Amazing craftsmanship.

It's more like "Insanity Clause", according to my wife but glad you like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pop (Post 507457)
Speaking as an old model airplane builder, YOU HAVE TALENT. Have you thought about turning your hobby into a business? You know, getting paid to have fun. If I had the money to buy a big buck VW, I would want a model of it from you. Pop

Hey big thanks. I built a few models in my day as well. The big difference now is that I now know about proper ventilation! I would entertain doing custom builds certainly but maybe not now. This is good therapy for me and I take my time. I would need to get a lot more efficient with my work to have it be the right value for all involved.

Franklin April 17th, 2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pop (Post 507458)
I love that bus. I used to have a 1966. Look at the windshield where the windshield wipers has cleaned the glass. Great detail. Pop

Cool-I would have loved to own the real deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by backpackr63 (Post 507474)
Awesome stuff! The detail in your work is wicked!

Appreciate it. Seriously guys, your feedback is great-helps me enjoy the hobby even more!

AirheadZim April 17th, 2011 10:57 AM

Thats some cool chit there Frankin. Check out Zim's RPU thread and see the little truck Bugdust an me are building. Skip the first half pages though cuz we switched cars and concepts about halfway in.

Franklin April 17th, 2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirheadZim (Post 507495)
Thats some cool chit there Frankin. Check out Zim's RPU thread and see the little truck Bugdust an me are building. Skip the first half pages though cuz we switched cars and concepts about halfway in.

Sure thing-! Thanks-

Dbug41 April 17th, 2011 11:36 AM

BADDASS:thumbsup:

trikertroy April 17th, 2011 01:15 PM

Thats some excellent stuff, Franklin...

A couple questions..

What scale are you useing?

Whos kit are you starting with..? Favorite manufactrues?

Iv been looking for the biggest, cheapest most accurate split window bus I can find.. My long range plan is a real life no roof (roll cage) chopped body (shortened?) volksrod style splitty... kinda like Splitszilla.

A model would be very helpful and fun too..

Franklin April 17th, 2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbug41 (Post 507497)
BADDASS:thumbsup:

Thanks Man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikertroy (Post 507508)
Thats some excellent stuff, Franklin...

A couple questions..

What scale are you useing?

Whos kit are you starting with..? Favorite manufactrues?

Iv been looking for the biggest, cheapest most accurate split window bus I can find.. My long range plan is a real life no roof (roll cage) chopped body (shortened?) volksrod style splitty... kinda like Splitszilla.

A model would be very helpful and fun too..

I am primarily working in 1/10th scale. Models average about 15 inches in length. I use a lot of Tamiya parts for starters. They make the front suspension you see in the pics. The Tamiya "Sand Scorcher" or "Buggy Champ" have been recently reissued from the late 80's. They are classic kits amongst the rc crowd and have the same front suspension. Tamiya Sand Scorcher is a great bug body but it is baja styled and not full fendered. The body of the van and bug that I built were from Maisto, a company that makes toy grade RC's. You can still get the Beetle and Window Van on eBay if you do a search. Make sure it's 1/10th scale because they make smaller versions as well. There was even a company making a 1/8th scale window van but I do not remember the name. It has been discontinued. Please let me know if you need more info-

vwfanatic April 17th, 2011 04:20 PM

i figured it was the sand scorcher. i worked in the hobby industry for nearly 20 years and recognised it right away. not an inexpensive hobby there. you likely have more $$ into one of your "small" cars than some of us have in our "big" ones. i am completely impressed. I thought about doing a "scorcher" based volksrod, but you definatly set the bar too high for me to even attempt. BTW...where in new england are you?

Franklin April 17th, 2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vwfanatic (Post 507539)
i figured it was the sand scorcher. i worked in the hobby industry for nearly 20 years and recognised it right away. not an inexpensive hobby there. you likely have more $$ into one of your "small" cars than some of us have in our "big" ones. i am completely impressed. I thought about doing a "scorcher" based volksrod, but you definatly set the bar too high for me to even attempt. BTW...where in new england are you?

Thanks for your feedback and compliments! Yes-it is not an inexpensive hobby but I would think not close to what you guys spend on a 1:1, let alone tools. I have been good at scrounging parts, esp on eBay to save on $$. Tamiya reissued the Sand Scorcher and Rough Rider (now Buggy Champ) so there are more parts out there at reasonable prices. Otherwise, I would be having a hard time affording vintage parts. Plus, I can use the same chassis/parts for other builds to save $$$. I am in northern Rhode Island BTW.

Franklin April 19th, 2011 04:44 AM

so I tried my hand at some white walls on the rat yesterday. There's a company out there that makes this spray paint for full size tires- "Ace's", not sure if anyone here has tried it but here's the process:
Start with the tire-grind down the lettering to get the side walls flat.

Franklin April 19th, 2011 04:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Then mask, cut and spray. Need to spray a few light coats and let dry in-between to build up a coating and make sure it bonds.
Then peel the mask-I did have to cheat a bit with a Sharpie pen to touch things up....

Franklin April 19th, 2011 04:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
All mounted up-let me know if you guys like-

purplemyth April 19th, 2011 04:57 AM

Looks great!

Btw~ may want to see about getting an online photo host,(photobucket, flickr , etc) your attachment file is gonna fill up quickly, unless you would like to go Coalition and get unlimited space ;)
Would really hate to lose these pics later, they're awesome!

Franklin April 19th, 2011 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplemyth (Post 507746)
Looks great!

Btw~ may want to see about getting an online photo host,(photobucket, flickr , etc) your attachment file is gonna fill up quickly, unless you would like to go Coalition and get unlimited space ;)
Would really hate to lose these pics later, they're awesome!

Thanks much-yeah the space was filling up pretty fast-so now I have officially joined the Coalition!!!

vwfanatic April 19th, 2011 06:05 AM

me likeee me likeee

DocMike April 19th, 2011 12:57 PM

I was into RC cars back when the "Monster Beetle" was brand new. In fact, it was the Monster Beetle that got me into RC cars. I haven't screwed around with that thing for a looong time. I'll have to see if I can find some of my old pictures or maybe take a couple of new ones and post them here.

(Place holder for pictures to follow)

I have to ask what/where are you getting your Bug bodies? I have the original Monster Beetle body painted to mimic my real Baja Bug. I never played to rough with the original body on it but, I have a couple of lexan Bug bodies that I abused pretty badly.

Doc

Franklin April 20th, 2011 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocMike (Post 507810)
I was into RC cars back when the "Monster Beetle" was brand new. In fact, it was the Monster Beetle that got me into RC cars. I haven't screwed around with that thing for a looong time. I'll have to see if I can find some of my old pictures or maybe take a couple of new ones and post them here.

(Place holder for pictures to follow)

I have to ask what/where are you getting your Bug bodies? I have the original Monster Beetle body painted to mimic my real Baja Bug. I never played to rough with the original body on it but, I have a couple of lexan Bug bodies that I abused pretty badly.

Doc

It would be great to see some pics of your Monster Beetle build. That was a classic kit.
The bodies I get are from toy grade RC cars made by Maisto. They pop up on eBay-they make a 1/10th scale beetle as well as a window van. The Maisto Beetle is full fendered. Tamiya does not have a full fender beetle in styrene, only in clear Lexan, which is hard to work with if you want to chop it up.

MrChainsaw April 20th, 2011 05:34 AM

This thread is so fucking neat, haha!

notched April 20th, 2011 05:18 PM

These are sooooooooo coool!!!

Franklin April 21st, 2011 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChainsaw (Post 507872)
This thread is so fucking neat, haha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by notched (Post 507945)
These are sooooooooo coool!!!

Cool guys-thanks!

cdscowboy April 21st, 2011 06:54 AM

That's some talent! Highly enjoying everything you post, man :)

Bug'Arley April 21st, 2011 07:36 AM

Where are you getting the bodies from to do your awesome work? You do some really cool modeling/ RC'ing/ Volksrodding! I would like to get into what you do in the future and any help now would shorten up my research then to get into it. Thanks for any help.

vwfanatic April 21st, 2011 07:42 AM

hey bug.....read the thread....he already answered your question.

JiI April 21st, 2011 07:58 AM

Not only do they look cool, they look fun! Buzz those around any car show and everyone will smile! They just put you in a good mood when you see one of those ripping around a yard or parking lot. :thumbsup::grin:
Jeff

Franklin April 23rd, 2011 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiI (Post 508017)
Not only do they look cool, they look fun! Buzz those around any car show and everyone will smile! They just put you in a good mood when you see one of those ripping around a yard or parking lot. :thumbsup::grin:
Jeff

Hey-car show idea is pretty cool-I like that!

77blackbug April 23rd, 2011 04:26 AM

I honestly think that this could be a marketable hobby. Your creations are done well enough that you could build replicas of people's cars. I would buy a model of my car if I had a good volksrod!

Franklin April 23rd, 2011 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdscowboy (Post 508001)
That's some talent! Highly enjoying everything you post, man :)

Thanks-glad you enjoy!

Franklin April 23rd, 2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77blackbug (Post 508220)
I honestly think that this could be a marketable hobby. Your creations are done well enough that you could build replicas of people's cars. I would buy a model of my car if I had a good volksrod!

Nice of you to say. I guess there is no harm talking to anyone who is interested just to get a feeler.

72beetle April 23rd, 2011 05:35 PM

Hey thought maybe you could use this as and idea.Uni Posco makes a paint marker in acrylic enamel in like 34 colors, an in different tip widths, might be and easier way than using a spray can to makes your white walls,flames, an maybe a miniature pinstripe design using the very fine tip paint markers,.Heres the link if your interested.
They do need to be clearcoated because they are flat colors.

http://www.durablesupply.com/popamafipc.html
cool models btw

Franklin April 24th, 2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72beetle (Post 508270)
Hey thought maybe you could use this as and idea.Uni Posco makes a paint marker in acrylic enamel in like 34 colors, an in different tip widths, might be and easier way than using a spray can to makes your white walls,flames, an maybe a miniature pinstripe design using the very fine tip paint markers,.Heres the link if your interested.
They do need to be clearcoated because they are flat colors.

http://www.durablesupply.com/popamafipc.html
cool models btw

hey thanks for the tip-I will check it out!

V8Transporter April 29th, 2011 08:11 PM

Nice!:clapping::clapping:

Franklin May 3rd, 2011 09:53 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 509074)
Nice!:clapping::clapping:

Ha-thanks-
Going back to the black volksrod build. You guys gave me ideas for tail-lights. I also added front and rear window "glass"-slowly getting to completion.

G00se May 3rd, 2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 509558)
Ha-thanks-
Going back to the black volksrod build. You guys gave me ideas for tail-lights. I also added front and rear window "glass"-slowly getting to completion.

Love it! :love:

How much you sell it for?

Franklin May 3rd, 2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G00se (Post 509560)
Love it! :love:

How much you sell it for?

Ha-thanks-not ready to part with it right now-!

G00se May 3rd, 2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 509562)
Ha-thanks-not ready to part with it right now-!

What Chasis are you using? And where do you get the Body parts from?

Franklin May 3rd, 2011 10:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by G00se (Post 509563)
What Chasis are you using? And where do you get the Body parts from?

Front and rear suspension are parts from a reissue Tamiya Sand Scorcher kit. Chassis pan is scratch build from sheet metal with bent up/brazed brake line for a cage. Added mounts for the rear shocks. Interior details/dash are scratch built from styrene and detail parts from my bin. Body is a toy RC Bug from Maisto that started off as full-fendered with a minor chop. I chopped the top and cut the fenders. Lots of added details, wheel wells, etc out of sheet styrene plastic. Runs off a 7.2 V battery (behind the seats) from a junk drill I bought at a flea market. It's cool cause I can use the same wall adapter to plug it in and charge it. Some very rough in-progress photos:

G00se May 3rd, 2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 509566)
Front and rear suspension are parts from a reissue Tamiya Sand Scorcher kit. Chassis pan is scratch build from sheet metal with bent up/brazed brake line for a cage. Added mounts for the rear shocks. Interior details/dash are scratch built from styrene and detail parts from my bin. Body is a toy RC Bug from Maisto that started off as full-fendered with a minor chop. I chopped the top and cut the fenders. Lots of added details, wheel wells, etc out of sheet styrene plastic. Runs off a 7.2 V battery (behind the seats) from a junk drill I bought at a flea market. It's cool cause I can use the same wall adapter to plug it in and charge it. Some very rough in-progress photos:

Thanks for the Info. You do nice work! :clapping:

Franklin May 3rd, 2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G00se (Post 509571)
Thanks for the Info. You do nice work! :clapping:

Sure-and thanks-

V8Transporter May 3rd, 2011 06:30 PM

Tail lights? You're running lights??:clapping: Sheesh...So whatcha' doing for a license plate light?:grin:

Franklin May 4th, 2011 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 509595)
Tail lights? You're running lights??:clapping: Sheesh...So whatcha' doing for a license plate light?:grin:

Ha! Hey why not-still working on the head light solution.

V8Transporter May 4th, 2011 08:29 PM

Oh, right, and pretty soon you'll be posting that you solved the Hi/Low beam solution, but the horn is too weak.:grin::grin:

Franklin May 5th, 2011 06:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 509724)
Oh, right, and pretty soon you'll be posting that you solved the Hi/Low beam solution, but the horn is too weak.:grin::grin:

I got the headlights on but they do not have the high beam function-as a matter of fact, they do not have the low beam function, either!

marnat3 May 5th, 2011 07:24 PM

On to more important things - Does the cig lighter work?:chillin:

DocMike May 5th, 2011 07:58 PM

It looks like that left rear tire could use a little air. :hmm:

Doc :yawn:

V8Transporter May 5th, 2011 09:04 PM

What do you want to bet he's built an itty bitty compressor and fitted it in the back seat. ooh, and it plugs into the cigarette lighter. I keep loking at that bug and thinking about trying something like that myself.

Franklin May 6th, 2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marnat3 (Post 509846)
On to more important things - Does the cig lighter work?:chillin:

Not on this one :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocMike (Post 509849)
It looks like that left rear tire could use a little air. :hmm:
Doc :yawn:

Fixed it-!

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 509856)
What do you want to bet he's built an itty bitty compressor and fitted it in the back seat. ooh, and it plugs into the cigarette lighter. I keep loking at that bug and thinking about trying something like that myself.

A small working compressor would be killer! There are guys out there building low riders with hydraulic systems-but pneumatic...mmmm.

As far as trying to do a build, you should go for it.

Franklin May 21st, 2011 01:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok-I started a new build-this will be my first VW pickup-actually made a trailing arm rear suspension for this one. Just started to chop up the body. The windshield area is still far away from final. The red paint is from the original body and will be changed so please ignore.

Franklin May 21st, 2011 01:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more shots-you guys once again have served as inspiration:

bugdust May 21st, 2011 01:57 PM

That's just Crazy kewl! :bow:

purplemyth May 21st, 2011 02:42 PM

:blink: :bow:

JiI May 21st, 2011 04:17 PM

You just keep collecting the YOU SUCK! awards!:grin::thumbsup::bow:
Jeff

V8Transporter May 21st, 2011 05:06 PM

Really, we have a YOU SUCK! award? Boy, nobody tells me anything. I guess that it's because YMHT (you must have talent) to qualify. How about offering a YOU ALMOST SUCK! award for the rest of us to shoot for?:grin:

JiI May 21st, 2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 511299)
Really, we have a YOU SUCK! award? Boy, nobody tells me anything. I guess that it's because YMHT (you must have talent) to qualify. How about offering a YOU ALMOST SUCK! award for the rest of us to shoot for?:grin:

Yeah, a little something I think I started...:Idunno:
Jeff

Franklin May 22nd, 2011 12:34 AM

Ha-just hearing about this "award"-now need to work up to "you freakin' suck" I guess! Hey-I used the roof panel to make the rear of the cab-would that work 1:1?

JiI May 22nd, 2011 07:53 AM

We just need a jealousy icon....
Jeff

Franklin May 22nd, 2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenite12 (Post 511340)
i also build small things

heres my every season car i have been running this set up for a few years with little changes here and there to finally get power where it needs to be

i think this will be the final incarnation, its got a 12 cell saddle pack with 2 volt cells and a 8x2 aramture in a 8 magnet neo can

lots of stuff to list but i dont want to bore you guys fastest pass so far was 100.4 mph at about 1.5 seconds

the track is 341ft

That's awesome! Way faster than my Slash brushless with 5200mAh 3s Lipo. Is it based on a Bolink chassis or custom?

cybernotchback May 22nd, 2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 511317)
Hey-I used the roof panel to make the rear of the cab-would that work 1:1?

That's my plan so I hope it'll work. That is if I ever get off my ass and finish the Notch and the '67:hmm: (work and a few health issues, (both me and my wife) have been keeping me out of the garage).

Franklin May 23rd, 2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenite12 (Post 511348)
thanks man! dude the slash is so much fun i never got into building or using brushless im a die hard old school rc drag racer ill use brushed motors and bang switches till i die hahah

its just funny that it used to be such a hunt and such a mystery to get a brushed motor reaching over 80mph it was an art if you ask me everybody had their own tricks and did every thing to squeeze every ounce of power out of them and having to constantly tear down and turn the armature between passes all kinds of voodoo magic haha
and with brushless you can spend 500 bucks on a set up and be going 100.... bumms me out i like things being who built the better car not who bought it yadda yadda haha

its based of the bolink digger i wanted to build a strong short wheelbase car and that chassie is impossible to break hell during the time put into getting it where its at today its cought on fire 4 times filpped over and nailed the rails hard as shit more than i can count and through it all the frame has held up.

its been alot of work though the frame is very rigid so getting good traction is a pain in the ass at first i was running shorter tires then went to the big ones in the picture for a larger foot print which gave to much grip on launch and wouldnt keep the front on the ground

and the bigger ones werent stable at high speeds at all with the tourqe i get and i was constantly blowing tires of the rim haha ill post some updated pics of it since its a different version of the same body and different tires and if i race this season some video !

Yes-video please when available.

Franklin May 23rd, 2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiI (Post 511328)
We just need a jealousy icon....
Jeff

Ha! I need one for all the 1:1's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybernotchback (Post 511352)
That's my plan so I hope it'll work. That is if I ever get off my ass and finish the Notch and the '67:hmm: (work and a few health issues, (both me and my wife) have been keeping me out of the garage).

Get better and post some pics if you ever pull it off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenite12 (Post 511379)
heres my play around car its a full suspension onroad frame 10 cell pack and a 12x3 armature with a twin cobalt mag can. it runs consistent 75mph passes i just used it for bracket and playing around in parking lots since its not a dedicated track car

btw franklin look up a that goes by plastic buddah in the r/c drift raceing circut he builds amazing to scale drift cars all at 1/10th scale wrking door locks and dummy motors that the timing belt and gears turn when its rolling hes insane
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/bl...community.aspx

Cool ride you got there-that link was insane. It's amazing/inspiring that there's always people out there pushing the envelope and raising the bar.

Franklin May 23rd, 2011 06:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok-more work done. Since these components are larger than scale in order to work properly, I had to modify the front suspension to be lower-moved the shocks inbound to clear the hood. I also added a pan to mount the cab. Body and tire are only on there to show placement.

Franklin May 23rd, 2011 02:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
tires mounted to check fit-

Choppercabra May 23rd, 2011 09:18 PM

The front end of that is off of a Tamiya Sand Scorcher?

Franklin May 24th, 2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choppercabra (Post 511477)
The front end of that is off of a Tamiya Sand Scorcher?

Yes-I bought the parts on eBay but they are not from a vintage kit. Could be Sand Scorcher reissue or the '09 Buggy Champ.

Franklin May 26th, 2011 09:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
more done-got the bed fabbed from some sheet metal and the sides of an old Tonka truck. Got some slicks on there too.

okyredneck May 26th, 2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 511317)
SNIP... Hey-I used the roof panel to make the rear of the cab-would that work 1:1?

I'm about to find out soon on my FlatBug truck build soon. :AssScratch:Gonna cut it in the next few days - then try to get it to flatten out enough. I guess that will make it "green machine" with the recycled parts. Too damn PC for me. I will deny it!:panic:

Great scale realism on all of your machines.:clapping:

Franklin May 26th, 2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okyredneck (Post 511724)
I'm about to find out soon on my FlatBug truck build soon. :AssScratch:Gonna cut it in the next few days - then try to get it to flatten out enough. I guess that will make it "green machine" with the recycled parts. Too damn PC for me. I will deny it!:panic:

Great scale realism on all of your machines.:clapping:

OK-I will be checking it out-see how it goes! Thanks for the feedback too-

Franklin May 30th, 2011 07:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Roughing out the interior-started a frame for the ragtop. Used an old rag to stretch over the top as I went to make sure I liked the profile. In the end, I will prob use some stretch fabric.

Franklin June 3rd, 2011 04:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
just some updated gratuitous pics-

purplemyth June 3rd, 2011 05:04 AM

Just too realistic! :bow:
Even the 'bodywork' !!!