Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I build things...only smaller.... (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33468)

V8Transporter May 5th, 2011 09:04 PM

Re: I build things...only smaller....

What do you want to bet he's built an itty bitty compressor and fitted it in the back seat. ooh, and it plugs into the cigarette lighter. I keep loking at that bug and thinking about trying something like that myself.

Franklin May 6th, 2011 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marnat3 (Post 509846)
On to more important things - Does the cig lighter work?:chillin:

Not on this one :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocMike (Post 509849)
It looks like that left rear tire could use a little air. :hmm:
Doc :yawn:

Fixed it-!

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 509856)
What do you want to bet he's built an itty bitty compressor and fitted it in the back seat. ooh, and it plugs into the cigarette lighter. I keep loking at that bug and thinking about trying something like that myself.

A small working compressor would be killer! There are guys out there building low riders with hydraulic systems-but pneumatic...mmmm.

As far as trying to do a build, you should go for it.

Franklin May 21st, 2011 01:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok-I started a new build-this will be my first VW pickup-actually made a trailing arm rear suspension for this one. Just started to chop up the body. The windshield area is still far away from final. The red paint is from the original body and will be changed so please ignore.

Franklin May 21st, 2011 01:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some more shots-you guys once again have served as inspiration:

bugdust May 21st, 2011 01:57 PM

That's just Crazy kewl! :bow:

purplemyth May 21st, 2011 02:42 PM

:blink: :bow:

JiI May 21st, 2011 04:17 PM

You just keep collecting the YOU SUCK! awards!:grin::thumbsup::bow:
Jeff

V8Transporter May 21st, 2011 05:06 PM

Really, we have a YOU SUCK! award? Boy, nobody tells me anything. I guess that it's because YMHT (you must have talent) to qualify. How about offering a YOU ALMOST SUCK! award for the rest of us to shoot for?:grin:

JiI May 21st, 2011 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 511299)
Really, we have a YOU SUCK! award? Boy, nobody tells me anything. I guess that it's because YMHT (you must have talent) to qualify. How about offering a YOU ALMOST SUCK! award for the rest of us to shoot for?:grin:

Yeah, a little something I think I started...:Idunno:
Jeff

Franklin May 22nd, 2011 12:34 AM

Ha-just hearing about this "award"-now need to work up to "you freakin' suck" I guess! Hey-I used the roof panel to make the rear of the cab-would that work 1:1?

JiI May 22nd, 2011 07:53 AM

We just need a jealousy icon....
Jeff

Franklin May 22nd, 2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenite12 (Post 511340)
i also build small things

heres my every season car i have been running this set up for a few years with little changes here and there to finally get power where it needs to be

i think this will be the final incarnation, its got a 12 cell saddle pack with 2 volt cells and a 8x2 aramture in a 8 magnet neo can

lots of stuff to list but i dont want to bore you guys fastest pass so far was 100.4 mph at about 1.5 seconds

the track is 341ft

That's awesome! Way faster than my Slash brushless with 5200mAh 3s Lipo. Is it based on a Bolink chassis or custom?

cybernotchback May 22nd, 2011 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 511317)
Hey-I used the roof panel to make the rear of the cab-would that work 1:1?

That's my plan so I hope it'll work. That is if I ever get off my ass and finish the Notch and the '67:hmm: (work and a few health issues, (both me and my wife) have been keeping me out of the garage).

Franklin May 23rd, 2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenite12 (Post 511348)
thanks man! dude the slash is so much fun i never got into building or using brushless im a die hard old school rc drag racer ill use brushed motors and bang switches till i die hahah

its just funny that it used to be such a hunt and such a mystery to get a brushed motor reaching over 80mph it was an art if you ask me everybody had their own tricks and did every thing to squeeze every ounce of power out of them and having to constantly tear down and turn the armature between passes all kinds of voodoo magic haha
and with brushless you can spend 500 bucks on a set up and be going 100.... bumms me out i like things being who built the better car not who bought it yadda yadda haha

its based of the bolink digger i wanted to build a strong short wheelbase car and that chassie is impossible to break hell during the time put into getting it where its at today its cought on fire 4 times filpped over and nailed the rails hard as shit more than i can count and through it all the frame has held up.

its been alot of work though the frame is very rigid so getting good traction is a pain in the ass at first i was running shorter tires then went to the big ones in the picture for a larger foot print which gave to much grip on launch and wouldnt keep the front on the ground

and the bigger ones werent stable at high speeds at all with the tourqe i get and i was constantly blowing tires of the rim haha ill post some updated pics of it since its a different version of the same body and different tires and if i race this season some video !

Yes-video please when available.

Franklin May 23rd, 2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiI (Post 511328)
We just need a jealousy icon....
Jeff

Ha! I need one for all the 1:1's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cybernotchback (Post 511352)
That's my plan so I hope it'll work. That is if I ever get off my ass and finish the Notch and the '67:hmm: (work and a few health issues, (both me and my wife) have been keeping me out of the garage).

Get better and post some pics if you ever pull it off!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikenite12 (Post 511379)
heres my play around car its a full suspension onroad frame 10 cell pack and a 12x3 armature with a twin cobalt mag can. it runs consistent 75mph passes i just used it for bracket and playing around in parking lots since its not a dedicated track car

btw franklin look up a that goes by plastic buddah in the r/c drift raceing circut he builds amazing to scale drift cars all at 1/10th scale wrking door locks and dummy motors that the timing belt and gears turn when its rolling hes insane
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/bl...community.aspx

Cool ride you got there-that link was insane. It's amazing/inspiring that there's always people out there pushing the envelope and raising the bar.

Franklin May 23rd, 2011 06:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok-more work done. Since these components are larger than scale in order to work properly, I had to modify the front suspension to be lower-moved the shocks inbound to clear the hood. I also added a pan to mount the cab. Body and tire are only on there to show placement.

Franklin May 23rd, 2011 02:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
tires mounted to check fit-

Choppercabra May 23rd, 2011 09:18 PM

The front end of that is off of a Tamiya Sand Scorcher?

Franklin May 24th, 2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choppercabra (Post 511477)
The front end of that is off of a Tamiya Sand Scorcher?

Yes-I bought the parts on eBay but they are not from a vintage kit. Could be Sand Scorcher reissue or the '09 Buggy Champ.

Franklin May 26th, 2011 09:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
more done-got the bed fabbed from some sheet metal and the sides of an old Tonka truck. Got some slicks on there too.

okyredneck May 26th, 2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franklin (Post 511317)
SNIP... Hey-I used the roof panel to make the rear of the cab-would that work 1:1?

I'm about to find out soon on my FlatBug truck build soon. :AssScratch:Gonna cut it in the next few days - then try to get it to flatten out enough. I guess that will make it "green machine" with the recycled parts. Too damn PC for me. I will deny it!:panic:

Great scale realism on all of your machines.:clapping:

Franklin May 26th, 2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okyredneck (Post 511724)
I'm about to find out soon on my FlatBug truck build soon. :AssScratch:Gonna cut it in the next few days - then try to get it to flatten out enough. I guess that will make it "green machine" with the recycled parts. Too damn PC for me. I will deny it!:panic:

Great scale realism on all of your machines.:clapping:

OK-I will be checking it out-see how it goes! Thanks for the feedback too-

Franklin May 30th, 2011 07:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Roughing out the interior-started a frame for the ragtop. Used an old rag to stretch over the top as I went to make sure I liked the profile. In the end, I will prob use some stretch fabric.

Franklin June 3rd, 2011 04:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
just some updated gratuitous pics-

purplemyth June 3rd, 2011 05:04 AM

Just too realistic! :bow:
Even the 'bodywork' !!!