Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hood Ornament (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33404)

VWBettie April 7th, 2011 05:38 AM

Hood Ornament
 
1 Attachment(s)
Of course all of my friends send me pictures of VWs that they see either in person or online and usually its nothing new to me BUT this morning i got an email with this in it!
Notice the mid hood ornament (hope you can see it, i can email the original pic if not)? Does anyone know what that is off of or do you think its a custom/handmade thing? Either way i'm in love and have to have one now. I'll mount the damn thing on the Durango until Bettie is ready for it!
Any help appreciated.

Budreaux April 7th, 2011 06:52 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Hey Bettie, good luck finding one of these. They seem to be rather rare now a days, but apparantly there was someone here in teh states doing repros of these. I'm still looking for additional info for you, but here is a link to a Samba thread about them. They are not cheap.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214390

Budreaux April 7th, 2011 07:05 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Here is one for sale by a Samba member, if he still has it. May cost ya a bit in shipping though. I've not found any on eBay.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1107636

YelLowBug April 7th, 2011 11:34 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Heyhey,

i wanted to post this in the score thread but since there is a thread for this here i go..

i found this at the Antwerp classic salon and took it home.:dancing:
since i have never seen it before i did some research about it.
there seem to be 3 types (or more)
the completly "flat" one , like mine, is an American hood ornament.
the one with the 3d rocket on top is the Australian one
and then there is one with wings, the brazilian one.

i took mine home for 200 euros (askin' price was 350, but he tought it was a australian one, so after some quick research i baffelt him with bullshit, since it was an american one and they where not:wink: rare)

afterworts i got it confirmed that it was a genuine old one by a pretty jealous vw-icon:grin:

so here's a looksie at the eye catcher for my rod..

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSCN1568.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSCN1567.jpg

greetzz

Palepainter April 7th, 2011 11:42 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
You guys get all the cool stuff overseas. :)

FBB April 7th, 2011 11:55 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budreaux (Post 506345)
Here is one for sale by a Samba member, if he still has it. May cost ya a bit in shipping though. I've not found any on eBay.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1107636


Shouldn't cost too much in shipping. Not sure on Maltese postage costs but to send something that size and weight from the UK to the States would only cost us ten dollars or so by standard airmail.

VWBettie April 7th, 2011 04:42 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Found one on Ebay for $229... ouchie. Think this cheap chick is OUT on that!

Budreaux April 7th, 2011 05:01 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VWBettie (Post 506408)
Found one on Ebay for $229... ouchie. Think this cheap chick is OUT on that!

Come on Bettie, you know ya wanna....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Flyin...Q5fAccessories

Look on the bright side...NO ONE has even bid on it, so you are almost guaranteed to get it for the low low price of $229.....it's teh Austrailian version too.

rostigbug April 7th, 2011 09:02 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Yes it is COOL!!
I want one, to put on my mantle or bookshelf:love:
IDK if it fits my idea of "Volksrod" tho-
I would not put it on mine (AKA Lumpy):hmm:

triker_Chewie April 8th, 2011 01:12 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YelLowBug (Post 506371)
Heyhey,

i wanted to post this in the score thread but since there is a thread for this here i go..

i found this at the Antwerp classic salon and took it home.:dancing:
since i have never seen it before i did some research about it.
there seem to be 3 types (or more)
the completly "flat" one , like mine, is an American hood ornament.
the one with the 3d rocket on top is the Australian one
and then there is one with wings, the brazilian one.

i took mine home for 200 euros (askin' price was 350, but he tought it was a australian one, so after some quick research i baffelt him with bullshit, since it was an american one and they where not:wink: rare)

afterworts i got it confirmed that it was a genuine old one by a pretty jealous vw-icon:grin:

so here's a looksie at the eye catcher for my rod..

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSCN1568.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/DSCN1567.jpg

greetzz

i could fab that

KQQL66 April 8th, 2011 02:50 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
well been searchin for one of these for years.... i have placed a bid on the one on ebay... it feels weird buying an australian part back from the usa but these are rare very rare even here....lol...hope i get it:unsure:

VWBettie April 8th, 2011 12:04 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
At least it has a good chance of going to a fellow Volksrodder. Lord knows my cheap ass isnt gonna bid against ya!

DocMike April 8th, 2011 12:42 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
I don't know, I don't think anyone from this site should be bidding on an item like this. It looks to me like you would have to drill a couple of holes in the hood trim and maybe even the hood to mount it and if we were to bid on it, it would be like we condone the alteration of original, un-molested parts......Oops, wrong site....nevermind.



Doc :funny:

Blood Magnet April 8th, 2011 12:49 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
I was thinking the same thing triker_Chewie. Maybe polished aluminum?

jaransonT3 April 8th, 2011 01:35 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
HHHmmmmm....

I wonder what a Volksrod version of these would look like....

Might have to do a little noodling and doodling.

Budreaux April 8th, 2011 06:46 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaransonT3 (Post 506479)
HHHmmmmm....

I wonder what a Volksrod version of these would look like....

Might have to do a little noodling and doodling.

Maybe come up with a Coalition member version.....then when i finally join I can buy one.

YelLowBug April 8th, 2011 11:37 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
what he says :thumbsup:

cant we make one like it but instead of spikes or a rocket, a drill and a sawzall blade??:funny:

i'd buy it..:licklips:

triker_Chewie April 9th, 2011 12:32 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blood Magnet (Post 506474)
I was thinking the same thing triker_Chewie. Maybe polished aluminum?

i was gonna go steel, could even get my bro to cut em on cnc oxyacet. mmmmmmmmm

YelLowBug April 9th, 2011 01:47 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Here ya go chewie
didn't know how to get them measurments to ya so now its public..

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...odornament.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...odornament.jpg

hope you can figure it out..:wacko:
if ya got any questions, shoot..

ps; hope this gives me a headstart on the waintin'list:wink:

big daddy chuck April 9th, 2011 04:41 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Now to find a hood with the correct patina to match.

triker_Chewie April 9th, 2011 11:39 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by YelLowBug (Post 506524)
Here ya go chewie
didn't know how to get them measurments to ya so now its public..

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...odornament.jpg

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...odornament.jpg

hope you can figure it out..:wacko:
if ya got any questions, shoot..

ps; hope this gives me a headstart on the waintin'list:wink:

wicked
public is even better

VWBettie April 11th, 2011 06:36 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Oohhh you guys could do one with more realistic wings to match my tattoo.... and make it rusty....
Looks like the ebay one sold with no bidding war. Enjoy!

Unkl Ian April 11th, 2011 07:38 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
No problem to make them in cast Aluminum,
just need to make a pattern. :thumbsup:



Quote:

Originally Posted by jaransonT3 (Post 506479)
HHHmmmmm....

I wonder what a Volksrod version of these would look like....


Unkl Ian April 11th, 2011 05:07 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
I can make anything rust.

Budreaux April 11th, 2011 07:13 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unkl Ian (Post 506833)
I can make anything rust.

Yup...I've even made plastic rust for computer case mods.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ALL text, images, graphics and content herein are Copyright 2002 - 2013 Three Pugs Design - Cut Weld Drive Forums