Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hood Ornament (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33404)

Steve April 13th, 2011 06:34 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Holy crap John!
That thing is cooler than Bill's beard! :funny:

ratlook63 April 13th, 2011 07:02 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
count me down for one!

alykat April 14th, 2011 02:33 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Price is always a concern with me , but if I can swing it I'm interested.

Turbo Punk April 14th, 2011 04:30 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 507106)
Holy crap John!
That thing is cooler than Bill's beard! :funny:

I don't know, I think I'd rather have Bill's beard mounted on the hood of my car. :grin::thumbsup:

OB'S Customs May 18th, 2011 05:07 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Any updates? I would love to run one on my Square....

jaransonT3 May 18th, 2011 05:40 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OB'S Customs (Post 510990)
Any updates? I would love to run one on my Square....

It is still on my list of things to do......


:panic::panic::panic:

V8Transporter May 18th, 2011 01:34 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Perhaps you could do them in your, ahem, "Spare Time.":wink:

brian10x May 19th, 2011 09:35 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
I'm in . Please put me on the list when production starts!

Slot May 20th, 2011 07:49 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
I can make a DWG or DXF file of the pattern if anyone needs it for a CNC cutter etc.

Say when.. :thumbsup:

77blackbug May 20th, 2011 10:33 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
MY VW isn't much of a hotrod but the Volksrods ornament would be tits. I'm in.

Waiting patiently for production.......

metalmaster1766 May 25th, 2011 05:57 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
A few years ago I was playing around and cast an aluminum hood ornament using the one that is on the hood of a Bug as my pattern.
I made 2 of them using 2 different types of aluminum, Mt Dew alloy what I call "canaluminum" (made from only aluminum Mt Dew cans, code Red to be exact) and "356 alloy aluminum" which when polished looks real nice compared to Mt Dew can aluminum.

About the end of 2009 (I think) I did a 3rd using the 356 alloy trying to make the finished part as thin as I could possibly get it, well it didn't turn out very well due to it being so thin and parts of my molding sand falling in not letting the mold cavity fill all the way.

Well here's a picture of all three of them from left to right, the first one I made using "canaluminum", the one in the middle is made using "356 alloy" as well as the one at the right.
I'm gonna try to make another one using the one on the right as my pattern and once mounted on the hood (or elsewhere) cut the outside circle "feeding gates" off and just leave what's left of the VW emblem and it's circle and the so it looks as if it has oxidized away giving it that old rustic "Rat Rod" look to it

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...6/IMG_3579.jpg

Once I let it oxidize a bit, then run some sand paper over it to shine the high parts it will look nice :thumbsup:
as well as old and ratty :grin:

Maybe I'll make a set of ear rings out of the other 2, or 2 big VW necklaces (ear rings may stretch your earlobes a few inches if worn for extended periods of time)


Ron
:dancing:

OB'S Customs December 5th, 2011 07:54 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
DUDE where is the product? LOL


Quote:

Originally Posted by jaransonT3 (Post 510991)
It is still on my list of things to do......


:panic::panic::panic:


V8Transporter December 5th, 2011 08:28 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Please refer to the "Spare Time" post. Heh heh.

jaransonT3 December 5th, 2011 09:16 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OB'S Customs (Post 528010)
DUDE where is the product? LOL

:panic: It is still on the list, slowly working it's way to the top. I added it to my whiteboard project board tonight so it is off the list in my head and on a written one that I see every time I sit down at my Mac. With the first snow on the ground, I will be doing a few more projects inside in my basement shop. This is one of them.

Patience grasshopper....

OB'S Customs December 6th, 2011 06:22 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
I was just rolling old post and forgot all about this one and like everyone here it was time to poke the bees nest. lol
Spencer

mkparker December 6th, 2011 10:57 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Somebody here needs to buy a 3D Printer!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7h09dTVkdw

JiI December 6th, 2011 02:01 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 (Post 511586)
A few years ago I was playing around and cast an aluminum hood ornament using the one that is on the hood of a Bug as my pattern.
I made 2 of them using 2 different types of aluminum, Mt Dew alloy what I call "canaluminum" (made from only aluminum Mt Dew cans, code Red to be exact) and "356 alloy aluminum" which when polished looks real nice compared to Mt Dew can aluminum.

About the end of 2009 (I think) I did a 3rd using the 356 alloy trying to make the finished part as thin as I could possibly get it, well it didn't turn out very well due to it being so thin and parts of my molding sand falling in not letting the mold cavity fill all the way.

Well here's a picture of all three of them from left to right, the first one I made using "canaluminum", the one in the middle is made using "356 alloy" as well as the one at the right.
I'm gonna try to make another one using the one on the right as my pattern and once mounted on the hood (or elsewhere) cut the outside circle "feeding gates" off and just leave what's left of the VW emblem and it's circle and the so it looks as if it has oxidized away giving it that old rustic "Rat Rod" look to it

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...6/IMG_3579.jpg

Once I let it oxidize a bit, then run some sand paper over it to shine the high parts it will look nice :thumbsup:
as well as old and ratty :grin:

Maybe I'll make a set of ear rings out of the other 2, or 2 big VW necklaces (ear rings may stretch your earlobes a few inches if worn for extended periods of time)


Ron
:dancing:

That one on the right looks like part of a vintage microphone. I'd leave it the way it is and mount it on the driver's side quarter panel where the old 2 post antennas would go. I think it would make a bad-ass statement!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::chilli n:
Jeff

metalmaster1766 December 7th, 2011 06:23 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiI (Post 528059)
That one on the right looks like part of a vintage microphone. I'd leave it the way it is and mount it on the driver's side quarter panel where the old 2 post antennas would go. I think it would make a bad-ass statement!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::chilli n:
Jeff

I suppose it does kinda look like one of those old microphones

And I have thought about mounting it as is, but I wasn't sure where
Now I know exactly where I'm gonna put it, right where the antenna was mounted on my 66 Bug :grin::thumbsup:

Thank ya Jeff

Ron
:dancing:

JiI December 7th, 2011 07:56 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 (Post 528102)
I suppose it does kinda look like one of those old microphones

And I have thought about mounting it as is, but I wasn't sure where
Now I know exactly where I'm gonna put it, right where the antenna was mounted on my 66 Bug :grin::thumbsup:

Thank ya Jeff

Ron
:dancing:

Post pics!
:thumbsup::grin:
Jeff

vwboyvw December 8th, 2011 07:01 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
I would be in for a 2 of these, I think it would be killer

JiI December 8th, 2011 08:29 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
If you were running a decklid, where the old script sat would be another good spot...
Jeff

metalmaster1766 December 9th, 2011 11:39 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Today I brought it out and walked around looking for a good place to mount it, I liked the deck lid as well, I make 2 more but just make them so they all look different and mount then on the front where the antenna went, as well as on the deck lid

I need to clean it up from driving though a puddle of water and concrete from where they were cutting it in the street, it doesn't wipe off easily anymore

I haven't figured out how I'm gonna mount it yet, either some short small screw, or maybe some adhesive, hell maybe JB Weld :Idunno:

Ron

carcentric December 10th, 2011 09:28 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 (Post 511586)
. . . I made 2 of them using 2 different types of aluminum, Mt Dew alloy what I call "canaluminum" (made from only aluminum Mt Dew cans, code Red to be exact) and "356 alloy aluminum" which when polished looks real nice compared to Mt Dew can aluminum. . . .

Until I googled 356 aluminum, I thought you had melted down some old 356 Porsche parts . . . .
:blink:

metalmaster1766 December 10th, 2011 04:23 PM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by carcentric (Post 528390)
Until I googled 356 aluminum, I thought you had melted down some old 356 Porsche parts . . . .
:blink:

Nope, I keep that kinda stuff
I hope to have one of those someday, even if it has a fiberglass body :smilespin:


Ron

jaransonT3 December 13th, 2011 04:16 AM

Re: Hood Ornament
 
Pattern making starts tonight!


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ALL text, images, graphics and content herein are Copyright 2002 - 2013 Three Pugs Design - Cut Weld Drive Forums