Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Cut-Weld-Drive Forums (http://volksrods.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Cutting Board (http://volksrods.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fabshop104 Steering Extension Kit? (http://volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38730)

Justin726 December 22nd, 2019 02:10 PM

Fabshop104 Steering Extension Kit?

I bought a 10" extension along with the steering kit from Doug. Has anyone installed the steering extension/support kit that he sells? Before I start hacking a guessing, are there any pointers where to start at? Just by mocking things up it looks like maybe cutting the crushable section out of the stocking shaft and welding it back together might get me close. The car is a '68 if that matters at all.

I searched around and haven't found much info. If all else fails, I'll try getting ahold of Doug. I know he's busy so I was trying to avoid bugging him.

:hello:

tattooed_pariah December 23rd, 2019 04:53 AM

Re: Fabshop104 Steering Extension Kit?

I can't speak 100% about Doug's kit, but When Rob installed my 10" TinBeater extension, we DID cut the crush section out of the shaft.

Justin726 December 28th, 2019 12:04 PM

Thanks.

I'm guessing it was engineered in a specific way. Kinda makes sense. I'm still waiting to get my new front beam, then the final fit can be made.

V8Transporter December 28th, 2019 02:11 PM

Just curious, but what kind of beam are you getting? Sounds like you’ve got a pretty cool project going.

Justin726 December 28th, 2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Transporter (Post 591257)
Just curious, but what kind of beam are you getting? Sounds like you’ve got a pretty cool project going.

Nothing too crazy. It's a great driving '68 that I planned to put a 10" extension on. Has some pretty decent patina to give it a little character.

Ordered the extension and steering kit from Doug. As I was waiting for those I started tearing things down getting ready to cut sheetmetal and do what I could in the meantime. I pulled the stock beam off planning on cutting and putting adjusters on it, in addition to the 1.5" drop spindles that are already there, but I ran into a little more rust on the beam than what I was happy using so I just ordered a stock replacement from Doug as well. It will come with adjusters already installed. Probably starting off with doing 3" drop plates out back on the swing axles.

Has been a fun project so far for sure. Waiting on parts kinda sucks, but it's part of it I guess.

V8Transporter December 28th, 2019 07:06 PM

Yup, but while you’re waiting you can go over ideas ‘n such. 👍

mkparker December 30th, 2019 03:52 PM

If you bought from FabShop104, that's Lawrence. Just shoot him a message, he'll help when he he has time.
There used to be a ton of info on this site, but the update years ago dicked up all the pics.

tinbeater January 7th, 2020 11:54 AM

Not sure how Doug handles his kits but with mine you had to cut down the steering shaft in order to get the geometry correct. IIRC it was 7 inches cut out, then sleeved and the end welded back on in order to retain the stock steering stub flange.

tattooed_pariah January 8th, 2020 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinbeater (Post 591276)
Not sure how Doug handles his kits but with mine you had to cut down the steering shaft in order to get the geometry correct. IIRC it was 7 inches cut out, then sleeved and the end welded back on in order to retain the stock steering stub flange.

holy shit! you're still here!

haha, yeah I'm pretty sure that's what Rob did when he was installing mine back in 2007.. :grin::thumbsup: