View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #11
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Effigy's history

alright, finally got out to the car today.. I looked at loctite tubes while at the store, and green is actually the recommended color for bolts that small, and I already had a brand new tube of it in my drawer, so I bought three new bolts, some external tooth lock washers and oil and a filter..

Went home and reinstalled the alternator backing plate, tried to drain the oil and discovered the oil pan I bought a few weeks ago is like an inch taller than the ground clearance under my exhaust..

Drove the car up onto ramps in the front to make sure the front stayed higher than the rear, then rolled my motorcycle lift under the rear to jack it up some.. discovered then that the jack rails BARELY cleared the exhaust.. threw a small road sign between the rails and some pieces of wood on top of the road sign so I would be lifting the oil plate and not the exhaust..

Lifted the rear end up enough to throw some jack stands under the stock jacking points, gave me about 2-3" clearance between the oil pan and the drain plug

drained out the oil, changed the filter, refilled with non detergent flat 30 and a bottle of Lucas zinc break in oil (lifters/cam only have about 1200 miles on em.. I'm sure it's fine, but I've never heard of extra zinc hurting..) and took it for a spin.

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is online now   Reply With Quote