View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #6
Franklin
Forum Member

Default Re: I build things...only smaller....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimbo View Post
It take as much skill to build in miniature as it does full size, probably more. Where did you get the good rubber tires. When I got into building model cars back in the late 60s early 70s we used to hoard the good rubber wide tires and we would take slicks and roll them over sections of heated window screen to produce a tread design, use the little bell shaped pieces at the ends of light pull cords for velocity stacks, ink pen springs for coil overs. It was a lot of fun finding things to workwith. We also used the old "Vaccu Form" toy to make copies of hot wheels car for our HO car track.
Your car looks great.
Hey thanks much for the feedback! The front tires are from a kit made by Tamiya, the rears and the wheels are from a company called RC4WD. I had to narrow the fronts. I appreciate and can relate to your comments about tricks and looking for things to re-purpose, like the pull cords and the pen springs. Those are great ideas. I would love to get my hands on one of those old Mattel Vac-Form machines too. I used button covers from a craft store for the dog dish hubcaps, the stinger is the holder from one of those bank counter pens (don't ask where I got it!). The roll cage is made from 3/16 brake line bent and brazed together. There are a lot of other things like that used for function and details. Finding and re-using stuff is part of the fun-
Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote