View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2014, 04:31 PM   #65
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Effigy's history

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post
Guess it's finally time I change my oil choice.. In California, I've always used 30 weight, it was fine, but it was also almost always the same temperature there..

It's been almost a month since I last started the bug, last time it ran, it sounded like the valves needed adjusting.. went out last night to fire it up (it's been in the 30's and 40 here this week..), took some carb cleaner down the barrels to get it to fire, and when it did, something popped and i saw a lot of smoke, so i shut it down and looked, and it looked like someone parked the exxon valdez in my driveway. Shined a light under and the rubber o-ring on my new oil filter was squeezed out..

My guess is that the oil was too thick, pressure built up too high, the o-ring was cold and then suddenly being heated, and the weakest point failed (the o-ring). That sound right to anyone else?

Thinking of switching to a 10w-30, maybe even 5w-30
I've been running 30 weight oil year round in my VW's since around 1990, I've never had a problem, it was 12 degrees a few mornings ago, I have more trouble with the gear lube being thick

I'd also check the oil filter seal surface real carefully, a few years ago I bought a Scat oil filter mount, it was an 1/8" off from where the seal touched, I used the oil filter mount from one of my S 10 Blazer's, it has a pressure relief valve in it

Friday I finished a push rod tube, tomorrow I'm gonna try to get the other 3 finished, think I'm gonna modify them to take a 2 more o-rings just in case

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote