Thread: Type 3 VolksRod
View Single Post
Old January 13th, 2014, 08:21 PM   #1457
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

Default Re: Type 3 VolksRod

Thanks for the comments folks. Moving forward with this design. I have decided I am going to make patterns and let Fred at Seaport Casting make them for me out of aluminum. Seaport is the same company I used for the Volksrods hood ornaments.

So, I need to make a matched set of the wings from a material that Fred can use as a pattern for the casting process. I have some high density renboard (polyurethane modeling plank). I cut some different thickness slabs of it on my table saw to make hte various pieces.

It turns out that I can cut the renboard on the laser over at TechShop, so I did that last night. This picture shows my original hand cut mock-up (the green one) and the pieces I cut on the laser including a couple that are still nested in the original plank. I added a small tab to the back side of the pieces. This will be shaped to fit inside the side trim molding to make that interface cleaner. I also had to split the parts to get them to fit on the material I had. I added some simple keying features to help get things lined up.

and here are a couple of shots of the pieces dry assembled. I have started to add the radii and the draft angles to the parts at this point.

Some more sanding and contouring to do and then I need to glue the pieces together, do the finish sanding, and seal the patterns up with a couple of coats of paint. Then I can drop them with Fred for casting.
'69 Square (Panel wanna-be)
'70/'71 Fasty (Jane - the Lead Sled project)

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion

Last edited by jaransonT3; January 13th, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
jaransonT3 is offline   Reply With Quote