View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:37 PM   #11
FONZY
Forum Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Herbie 66 @ Mar 22 2006, 08:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Fonzy -

Excellent work dude, have any recent photos of the Heb project?
[/b][/quote]

Well thanx for the compliment! I do liken my work to that of Walt ... just without all the talent...
and tools...
and experience...
and good looks...
did I mention talent?
anywho :)

The most recent pics of the bodywork are in my intro (the Mary-anne" build in my sigature) It's been on hold while I have been getting the running gear finished... I want to have a completely done frame / drivetrain before I drop the body back on... I hate hate HATE gettin up under lowered bugs to do some teeny little thing I forgot to do while the body was off:)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Herbie 66 @ Mar 22 2006, 08:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'll be installing new pans latter this summer, would you suggest doing this on a pan being used for a sedan? I plan on chopping the top and wanted the car to be as solid as possible and thought it might be worth it to strengthen up the car?
[/b][/quote]

It certainly couldn't hurt to reinforce a sedan, but it really will be overkill and a half. The roof (even chopped) adds huge amounts of torional rigidity to the body. These 2 by 2's I installed are really to keep the car from trying to fold in half thru the door openings.

How far does the body stick out beyond the pan rails, the tubing won't interfere with running boards will it?
[/b][/quote]

It should come out just flush with the actually outer edge of the body and no it won't interfere with running boards since they stop right at the bottom edge of the body. You could actually build wider rails that would protrude out from under the body, as much as 2 inches maybe? since the running boards would cover them ... anywho heres a pic I gleened off of Gkaffer's build site (HERE)

As you can see the black rails on his car are just a little shy of flush with the outside bodywork. This is a stock vert reinforcement rail (welded to the bottom of the heater channel, not the pan like mine is)

the 2 by 2 I used is slightly (1/8"?) wider than these so it will end up flush with the body.