View Single Post
Old March 2nd, 2018, 08:42 AM   #9
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Default Re: 74 Super with Longitudinal Acura 3.2 V6

To shift the T-98 4 speed behind the Ford Windsor V8 in my Single Cab, I run a two piece shaft made up of 1/2"dia. steel rod back from the floor shift. The bus floor shift still mounts as stock but with the reverse guide ground away so you do not have to push down. Reverse is the now Ford pattern anyway. The lower pivot of the shifter has been replaced with a horizontal piece of 1" rod drilled to attach with a through bolt to a simple clevis. This replaces the standard VW front connection at the bottom of the otherwise standard floor shift.

The front rod has threaded end, with a stop nut into the clevis which allows for some adjustment. This rod then angles to the right side of the engine. At that point I needed about a 30 degree angle to reach the heavily modified top shift on the Ford truck 4 speed. This is where a u-joint sourced from a Fiat steering column joins the two 1/2" rods along the right side of the engine about mid-way back. I had enough space to pass the engine block on this side without it being 'too low.' Just ahead of the u-joint, the front 1/2" rod passes through a large lube type Heim joint which is mounted via a 1/8" steel bracket to the frame. This keeps the rod from moving out of alignment (side to side, etc.) and also allows adjustment. To keep corrosion and debris at bay where the rod slides in the Heim joint, a rubber tube sleeve with a grease seal at each end protects things. There is a very slight bend in the rear rod to clear the bell housing.
The top of the transmission shifter mod mentioned above utilizes a 5/8" rod coming out the rear of the of a special housing. Attached at the back end of the rod is a 90 degree piece to which is fastened a second u-joint. This system allows the shift rod to pass around the engine, and allows a standard Ford shift pattern with only a slight angle in the front to rear movement of the VW floor shift.
The clutch is operated through a heavy duty housed cable which attaches to the stock VW pedal assembly. Because the Ford clutch arm at the bell housing needs to be pulled rearward to disengage the clutch, the cable runs to the bottom of a pivot. This way when the pedal is depressed and the cable moves forward, a connecting rod at the top of the pivot pulls back. I made the cable and rod end attaching points adjustable to change the throw and mechanical advantage.
Sounds like this isn't your first time sorting out a linkage. I came up with this system back in '81 when I did the swap. It works well and gets a lot of folks checking out the engine compartment scratching their heads.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote