View Single Post
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1619
fungus
Forum Member

Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
For design work, do you use any special cardboard, or the time honored cereal box variety? Myself, I prefer Cherrio's boxes for their size and adaptability. The clip-ons look great! What kind of pipe are you thinking of?

Me? I just prefer whatever is laying around the shop. Which usually means corrugated. It's a lot more accurate with the thin stuff (cereal/snack boxes). But now I'm just nitpicking. As for pipe size, are you referring to my idea of gusseting the clipons? If that be the case, after seeing the welds, I'm not the slightest bit worried.

Bill, I did remember seeing your seat! I considered doing the same, although I figured I'd be cheap and make it myself. Plus, I just want to play with the TIG.

Turbo, 'glass just doesn't sit well with me. Sure, I'll lay up some in a low spot (filled in the badge recesses on the tank with fiberglass filler), but I try not to do anything structural with it.

I'd like to somehow put a hinge bracket on it so that I can still lift it up like the stock seat, and possibly still lock it using the stock lock. I'll see what I can do. I'm actually a bit upset because I have to cut off the helmet hook on the back (it's sticking through the cardboard in one of the pics). I can always weld it back on if I need to throw the old seat back on.

On another note, does anyone know if the brake calipers on an '83 650 nighthawk were mounted solid to the lower forks? I can't tell from pictures... My '77 550 has them on a pivoting caliper bracket.
Brakes in question:

From the diagram on www.bikebandit.com, it looks like it's solid... Perhaps there's a simple pivot point? To reduce flex in the lower forks, one could mill out a fork brace that clamps to the lower fork tube and arches over the wheel...