View Single Post
Old March 7th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #2
notched
Forum Member

It's ready to place into the area; the curve and shape look good:

The edges are still rough from cutting and there is paint on the metal. This needs to be cleaned off for a good weld:

For the edge, I've used an electric grinder with a metal grinding disk:

You'll notice the space around the filler material and the hole:

Ready to weld!

I'm using a welding magnet to hold it in place. The first tack weld:

This is the basic process, tack welding is key! In order to keep the metal from warping, and your bodywork to a minimum, you should use a series of tack welds. I've tried this a few ways, and what I like to do is start one tack, then one to the right, one to the left, then back to the right, and so on. I don't do this religiously, but most of the time.

More tacks:

Remember the spacing around the filler material and the hole? I can finally tell you why this is important. First of all, as the metal is welded, it moves around! If there isn't a space around the filler material, and it was a perfect tight fit, as you work your way around, the filler may move, and actually overlap once to another side. The gap will give you room. I like to make it about 1/8". If it's too big, you'll have to use too much welding material. The second reason is so that the tip of a screwdriver will fit in, as shown in this shot. You may ask, "What's that for?” Well, as you weld, the material moves around, not only side to side, but it can move up and down. By using a screwdriver, you and either move the filler piece up or down, depending which way it's shifted. This is very important to control the filler piece as you weld. You want it very close to flush with the other metal:

This is how much it started to lift up.

This is not finished. Part two soon!

++ In Progress ++

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You will make a good wife, some day, John.