Latest Threads
- by horshak

Old March 6th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #1
norville
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default OT 2001 Cabrio help
Re:: it's not mine I swear   

So my daughter picked up a 2001 cabrio 2.0 auto with 110K on it overall it's in OK shape but shortly after getting it she started throwing codes. P 341 cam position sensor and P 740 torque converter error. I cleared them and in a day or two they came back first the 341 then after a highway drive the 740. I ordered a timing belt kit and thought that might be the issue with the p341 code. I do not have any history with this car... she just showed up with it.

In the pics does the timing belt look old? I can barely turn the belt 90deg and do not see any cracks. I'm thinking it was changed at least once???? thoughts? Can you tell from the pics if I have the newer or older style belt tensioner?? I think its the older stye?? And I'm thinking I'm going to have to return the belt I ordered. If it's not the belt sending the 341 code? what next?

As far as the 740 code could the 341 code be causing the tranny code? I've read a pile of posts on vortex and I think I'm more lost now than before...I can't even check the tranny fluid...

I'd appreciate any help, I'm new to late model VW's I only have an actron scanner and a very broke daughter..

thanks
bob

bob
norville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:29 PM   #2
strat62plyr
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: OT 2001 Cabrio help

http://golf3.cabby-info.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.
strat62plyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #3
johnny27030
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I would replace the timing belt. Its an interference engine, and if I remember correctly they say replace it every 100k. That engine mount is a pita. Belt is pretty easy to replace other then that. I have a 2000 2.0 golf. I hate that car. I cant help you with the engine codes, but I can recommend you sell that car before it cost an arm and a leg. Mine is riddled with electrical grimlens. Started burning oil for no good reason at about 100k and the transmission has (lifetime) fluid in it. (assuming its an auto) That stuff is like 25 bucks a quart and is a pita to replace. The trannys are bad for going out due to that fact. But my golf has never left me sitting anywhere. Trans shifts like shit and lights come and go, keep oil in the hatch just incase. If there is one thing I would do over again, it would be never buying that car. Just my .02 worth.
johnny27030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #4
norville
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

selling it off is not an option.. I'm going to do the timing belt this weekend regardless and check the timing.., change out the plugs, cap and rotor...

bob

bob
Old March 12th, 2013, 03:08 AM   #5
norville
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

After it was all said and done..the error was a bent pin or two in the main wiring harness.. I should have picked up on that sooner. It looks like this tranny was out at one time and maybe again..

My new issue is a tranny code po740 torque converter not locking.. line pressure? The Vag-com error is 01192 Torque Convertor Lock Up Clutch Mechanical Malfunction. But there's a new converter in there now, I can see it.

I did meet a guy that lives not far from me.. with Vag-com computer.. He'd fit right in here, but mostly deals with modern VW's. I hate this car.

bob
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #6
johnny27030
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

My Golf is full of tranny codes. Im not fixxing any of them. When the tranny gives out, ill scrap the car.

Glad to hear the electrical was nothing to serious.
Old March 12th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #7
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny27030 View Post
I would replace the timing belt. Its an interference engine, and if I remember correctly they say replace it every 100k. That engine mount is a pita. Belt is pretty easy to replace other then that. I have a 2000 2.0 golf. I hate that car. I cant help you with the engine codes, but I can recommend you sell that car before it cost an arm and a leg. Mine is riddled with electrical grimlens. Started burning oil for no good reason at about 100k and the transmission has (lifetime) fluid in it. (assuming its an auto) That stuff is like 25 bucks a quart and is a pita to replace. The trannys are bad for going out due to that fact. But my golf has never left me sitting anywhere. Trans shifts like shit and lights come and go, keep oil in the hatch just incase. If there is one thing I would do over again, it would be never buying that car. Just my .02 worth.
2.slows had a recall for incorrectly installed rings. My sister had one rebuilt twice under the recall. dumb fucks installed the rings incorrectly the first time. she still had to keep a cse of oil in the car.
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #8
johnny27030
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I checked all recalls and TSB's for my car. No such luck apparently. Otherwise Ide send it in for a overhaul.