Total Online: 848

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by DrHax

Old January 31st, 2014, 11:26 PM   #126
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Things that make you say.... WTF?

My writing happened by chance. In high school I wrote some fantasy dribble just to put pencil (never in pen and only mechanical Bic pencils!) to paper and a few poems and such. It wasn't bad but it wasn't Tolstoy level either. When I started college I took a creative writing class. Had a great repoire with the teacher. We'd debate, yell, argue in class then casually go get some lunch as if nothing happened. (Great guy!) What was in the class stayed in the class but it was also part of class to argue, debate, critique and really get to the meat of a story or poem. Well, we had quizzes 2x a week. I failed all of them but 1. My grade was in the commode and my poetry/ prose I had due every 2 weeks was not that good. I could write, it just wasn't "flowing" they way it should have. John, our teacher, said our last 10 page packet to hand in was worth a good chunk and gave me the eye. Basically I had to knock it out of the park or fail.
Well I decided I needed to get something out that I had held on to for a few years. There was a seed that started it but only 3-5 people know the story "behind the scenes". I sat down and started writing this short story about an Amish girl meeting an Englisher (That being anyone non-Amish) and their conversation. Honestly, at this point, my typing sucked so I wrote it out longhand and my mom typed it up for me, 11 pages, double-spaced. It turned out okay and I handed it in on Monday. On Wednesday, John would have copies of everyone's work and hand them out to everyone in class so they could read them and give their own critiques. John caught me a bit before Wednesday's class and wanted to talk about what I wrote. In all honesty, he said it knocked him back a bit and actually claimed it to be a novella. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novella) I was pretty surprised and I passed the class with a B. Everyone in class read it and really liked it but...they all wanted to know what happened next! So, after some thinking, I came up with a HUGE storyline that weaves over 17 "chapters" and goes from a couple hour meeting in the first chapter to over 3 years.
I've spent nearly 23 years on it and only do it when I have time. (Like now, at 2:23am) I took the creative writing class 7 times just to learn more and could probably teach it at this point.
Okay, back to editing.....
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:27 PM   #127
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmaster1766 View Post
WOW, WTF, I didn't realize that my wife was blind, well dadgum, that explains everything
Actually I'm the one who WAS blind in both eyes at different times, the first time was in October of 2000, the 2nd time was in August of 2004, for some unknown reason diabetics have unnatural blood vessel growth inside the eyes, it can lead to a hemorrhage of a blood vessel & the blood clouds up the vitreous gel in the eye, next thing you know you can't see a thing
To restore vision they do what's called "Vitrectomy Surgery", they suck out the vitreous gel from the inside of your eye & replace it with a similar type gel (synthetic vitreous gel), after a week or two it does restore your vision

I can see clearly now that I have a new pair of glasses, my last pair broke in 2010 shortly after I had renewed my drivers license, I haven't worn glasses now for almost 4 years, I'm only supposed to wear them when driving, my right eye is much worse than my left eye, that's what's been causing my eyes to get tired so often, guess I'll find out soon enough

BTW, below is a pic of my SweetHeart
We have been together 31 years as of this coming April
I tried to do the attachment thing with this pic, I hope I did it right, every time I try to use photobuckets it makes my computer slow down & freezes up, then it sends a crash report to FireFox which then Emails you with ways to fix the problem, I have tried almost everything, now that I'm working again I'll be able to send some money so I can become a premium member of this site, I just hope my body can handle it

Ron

09-16-11_2304.jpg

Poor girl!
Good luck with the job Ron!
Jeff
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:29 AM   #128
DrHax
Forum Member

For me writing became basically because I always wanted to. In St.Paul even my papers I wrote I noticed they had a voice. When I went to the rural school My creative writing teacher saw me as a breath of fresh air.. when ever we had peer review assignments I remember my folder being the last one to get turned in because people were so absorbed.

It wasn't until a second mandatory english class about essay writing? that was nothing but reading books and grammar, and writing papers was there that the teacher basically fan girled over my writing. I remember one piece I wrote which was explaining why a person acted this way in the vietnam war story... She read that piece outloud and the class that always talked just shut up, to the point where the clock sounded like a hammer hitting metal, and every word that was said just rose the tension in the whole room. You could just feel it how It made everybody nervous... It was amazing how my writing dragged their asses straight to a hostile jungle and gave them a feeling of the reapers scythe shaving their necks. A place that they never wanted to go or even thought they could.

I've found after all of the shit I went through in middle school and highschool my mind is able to go to horrific places and I'm not fazed by it. But for every torched orphanage my mind can think of I can think of a happy moment as a couple looks up to the night sky as they walk through the woods looking for a brighter tomorrow.

Seriously I'm one fucked up person

Granted my favourite thing that was ever handed to me was a paper in my creative writing class saying the DO's and DONT's of a making a story... One of them was don't baby or be gentle with your characters or don't make their lives perfect bla bla bla... I did the opposite. I dragged them through hell and back and let them pick themselves up. I take a "so fucked up they're realistic" approach to making characters.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 09:56 AM   #129
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
For me writing became basically because I always wanted to. In St.Paul even my papers I wrote I noticed they had a voice. When I went to the rural school My creative writing teacher saw me as a breath of fresh air.. when ever we had peer review assignments I remember my folder being the last one to get turned in because people were so absorbed.

It wasn't until a second mandatory english class about essay writing? that was nothing but reading books and grammar, and writing papers was there that the teacher basically fan girled over my writing. I remember one piece I wrote which was explaining why a person acted this way in the vietnam war story... She read that piece outloud and the class that always talked just shut up, to the point where the clock sounded like a hammer hitting metal, and every word that was said just rose the tension in the whole room. You could just feel it how It made everybody nervous... It was amazing how my writing dragged their asses straight to a hostile jungle and gave them a feeling of the reapers scythe shaving their necks. A place that they never wanted to go or even thought they could.

I've found after all of the shit I went through in middle school and highschool my mind is able to go to horrific places and I'm not fazed by it. But for every torched orphanage my mind can think of I can think of a happy moment as a couple looks up to the night sky as they walk through the woods looking for a brighter tomorrow.

Seriously I'm one fucked up person

Granted my favourite thing that was ever handed to me was a paper in my creative writing class saying the DO's and DONT's of a making a story... One of them was don't baby or be gentle with your characters or don't make their lives perfect bla bla bla... I did the opposite. I dragged them through hell and back and let them pick themselves up. I take a "so fucked up they're realistic" approach to making characters.
Yep, Hax is my mini-me...
Jeff
Old February 1st, 2014, 06:02 PM   #130
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

WTF happened to this thread?

It started out with important philosophical questions and morphed into the f'n book club? Back on track ladies!!
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 1 2006, 06:05 PM)

That bike makes my scrotum cry...
Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

If one of my buddies pulled into my driveway and got out of that, I'd punch him right in the colon.

That thing looks like a blue clitoris.
amrcnbadaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:34 PM   #131
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Okay, how about this. My body is killing me because of the snow shoveling. My mom mailed me and they are predicting 12" more on Tuesday and 24" this next weekend!!!! That's it, we're moving to Arizona....... What are the vehicle laws like out there?
Jeff
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:08 PM   #132
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrcnbadaz View Post
WTF happened to this thread?

It started out with important philosophical questions and morphed into the f'n book club? Back on track ladies!!
how about that god damn propane shortage.. Seriously people around here are paying five dollars a gallon and its rationed. So its costing people over 2000k a month to heat their house We have a wood stove, but still WTF?!

Old February 1st, 2014, 08:09 PM   #133
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Okay, how about this. My body is killing me because of the snow shoveling. My mom mailed me and they are predicting 12" more on Tuesday and 24" this next weekend!!!! That's it, we're moving to Arizona....... What are the vehicle laws like out there?
Jeff
When you drive there take a detour to MN and drop off that formula vee chassis I want to make a steampunk death trap

Old February 1st, 2014, 08:44 PM   #134
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Hey, you're only 7 hours away. Get your sorry ass down here and pick it up yourself!
Jeff
Old February 1st, 2014, 08:47 PM   #135
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
how about that god damn propane shortage.. Seriously people around here are paying five dollars a gallon and its rationed. So its costing people over 2000k a month to heat their house We have a wood stove, but still WTF?!
Never used it other than those mini-torches. Is it really that expensive? My in-laws heat their whole house with a wood burning garrison stove. The thing gets brutally hot but burns the wood so there is nothing but fine ash powder in the end. And he's burning some dense hardwood! Freakin' cozy in the winter!
Jeff
Old February 2nd, 2014, 12:37 AM   #136
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Some people say that before the universe was created there was nothing.

What color was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:39 AM   #137
amrcnbadaz
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Some people say that before the universe was created there was nothing.

What color was it?

Magenta with pastel blue scallops.
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 1 2006, 06:05 PM)

That bike makes my scrotum cry...
Quote:
QUOTE Steve Jan 26, 2008

If one of my buddies pulled into my driveway and got out of that, I'd punch him right in the colon.

That thing looks like a blue clitoris.
amrcnbadaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 05:44 AM   #138
bigguy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Things that make me say wtf is reading JiI and drhax writing qualities. I mean Jeff is a little froo froo but I think drhax is being hacked by Jeff as well
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:41 AM   #139
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrcnbadaz View Post
Magenta with pastel blue scallops.
Lowered and rolling on earlies....
Jeff
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:42 AM   #140
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
Things that make me say wtf is reading JiI and drhax writing qualities. I mean Jeff is a little froo froo but I think drhax is being hacked by Jeff as well
Go froo froo yourself Nate!
Jeff
Old February 2nd, 2014, 08:25 AM   #141
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Hmmm. I'd have to say either Rasberry Red, Lemon Yellow, or possibly Orange Orange.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM   #142
bigguy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Low and slow with a vw diesel pushing the way.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:03 AM   #143
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
HAXXXXXXXXXXXXXX!

Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:04 AM   #144
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Hey, you're only 7 hours away. Get your sorry ass down here and pick it up yourself!
Jeff
I'll start walking then

Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:09 AM   #145
psychopork
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

a wtf moment for me recently: A kid showed up to the welding class says his 2009 honda accord bumper has a crack in it and he is here to learn how to weld it back together.

Still looking for that magical box of grid squares.-TSGT Lacy
psychopork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 03:22 PM   #146
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopork View Post
a wtf moment for me recently: A kid showed up to the welding class says his 2009 honda accord bumper has a crack in it and he is here to learn how to weld it back together.
Did you have him go in search of an ID 10-T form?
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:34 PM   #147
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Are you talking about welding plastic?
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:45 PM   #148
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Its possible the welding book we had mentioned it. Its basically just melting in more plastic then you smooth it over Granted my favourite welding that my friend wanted to do on the schools lathes was friction stir welding He wanted to get steel and aluminum merged into one via crashing them on the lathe.. Our shop teacher Mr. Doom (seriously somebody needs to get that guy and honorary doctorate just cus) wasn't worried about the danger of it.. just the fact it wouldn't work because the lathes didn't go fast enough to do such a thing. Seriously how did we not blow our selves up!?

Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:46 PM   #149
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Hell, you can buy plastic welding kits at Harbor Freight!
Jeff
Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:51 PM   #150
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Its possible the welding book we had mentioned it. Its basically just melting in more plastic then you smooth it over Granted my favourite welding that my friend wanted to do on the schools lathes was friction stir welding He wanted to get steel and aluminum merged into one via crashing them on the lathe.. Our shop teacher Mr. Doom (seriously somebody needs to get that guy and honorary doctorate just cus) wasn't worried about the danger of it.. just the fact it wouldn't work because the lathes didn't go fast enough to do such a thing. Seriously how did we not blow our selves up!?
Like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JbnDXw-0pM
Jeff