Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old November 9th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #1
Metal Twister
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...

Ive been watching this thread for awhile. Looks like it is taking shape and thought you guys might be interested? Heck he might be posting here as well? If so disregard...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...edeuce.945382/

"It
has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste”

- Henry Ford-
Metal Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #2
BrownBUGUK
Forum Member

Default Re: Bug to 32 on the HAMB forum...

Amazing work - thanks for the head's up.
BrownBUGUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #3
alykat
Site Supporter

I think this guy is an English cousin of MARKH
Old November 9th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Metal Twister
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Its funny, this guy is world famous. They are even talking about him on the Rods and Sods forum in the UK.

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/top...ad-hamb-280553

"It
has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste”

- Henry Ford-

Last edited by Metal Twister; November 9th, 2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #5
markh
Forum Member

Very cool, yet a little weird. Saw his recent posting and link under the intro section. Will be fun to watch. Started having night terrors when I was reading his build thread sitting at my desk.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #6
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Surprized he wasnt kicked off - HAMB being so VW friendly and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #7
1jarhead2
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Surprized he wasnt kicked off - HAMB being so VW friendly and all.
I am also shocked that they havent kicked him off. They kicked me off with Das Speedster as Ryan told me no damn VWs.
1jarhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 12:25 AM   #8
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Right? I remember the big fight a couple years back...was it Walt? I'm too tired to look it up, but I remember a few threads on how much they like VWs.

We have a local car club that is "American only". They totally bash the VW, but every one of them has shared the "back when I was..." story of their old bug, ghia, bus or fastback and what a wonderful car it was.

But then they quickly add that now that they are older (average age in this club is probably 65) and they only drive REAL cars - and that VWs are for losers.

Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:27 AM   #9
theredbarn
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
They totally bash the VW, but every one of them has shared the "back when I was..." story of their old bug, ghia, bus or fastback and what a wonderful car it was.
They're totally blowing smoke! Worse yet, most of them bought their "Vintage American Iron" in it's present condition - they've never turned a wrench on it.

I like showing up a little local show and shines that are "open to all cars" just to piss guys like that off...
theredbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #10
DrHax
Forum Member

Lots of those people are very arrogant. Were lucky were part of a club that doesn't mind bugs.. but a lot of the car people don't view them as classic cars... despite the fact people go towards them at the car show.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #11
Metal Twister
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The Hamb isnt about old cars... Its about traditionally done Hot Rods. That eliminates everything but traditional built Hot Rods. I for one think its cool they try to keep their forum on topic and in essence pure old school hot rod. The club hot rod forum is about anything hot rod so bugs are more than welcome there. If this forum was an early German tin only forum I would expect it to be just that. I wouldn't be getting all sideways if I tried to post something on their site that wasnt in keeping with what their forum is all about. Your right there are a few snobs, know it all's, attention whores, and want to be's, on the Hamb but Ive seen those guys on every forum I visit. I come here to talk non stock VW's and there to talk traditional hot rod. So what is the sister site here for? Any hot rod talk?

"It

- Henry Ford-

Last edited by Metal Twister; November 17th, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old November 17th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #12
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

When you go to a forum, you play by the forum rules... or expect trouble.

Something funny but sad... Unkl Ian and others will know this one... Last year or so, The All Metal (Metal shaping) forums told Jesse James to Pound Sand, because he wouldn't sign up and do their process the way they require everyone else has to. I think he would have been an asset to the forums, and I think the forums would be an asset to him as well... but sometimes, ya just gotta work things out... they couldn't get it. Sadly... They have a reason for their process... and it's a respectable process that cuts down on a lot of issues... that situation could have turned out much differently with some diplomacy on both of their parts.
Old November 17th, 2014, 07:40 PM   #13
flatheadgary
Forum Member

well as expected, they deleted it from their forum today. he should have posted it here and linked it to there. now he would have to post it all over again here. to bad. it was a great thread and incredible work.
Old November 17th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #14
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I just love the term "Traditional Hot Rods." Back in the day, the guys I knew drove cars they themselves had built. Among them.. a 327 powered MGA; a 289 powered MGB; A 427 powered Austin Healey, lots of fifties' Chevys, a h hemi-powered 53 Ford, my nailhead powered '47 Ford coupe, a Trubo Corvair, a 312 powered '40 ford Coupe...and everyone got along. A THR was whatever you built yourself.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #15
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
I just love the term "Traditional Hot Rods." Back in the day, the guys I knew drove cars they themselves had built. Among them.. a 327 powered MGA; a 289 powered MGB; A 427 powered Austin Healey, lots of fifties' Chevys, a h hemi-powered 53 Ford, my nailhead powered '47 Ford coupe, a Trubo Corvair, a 312 powered '40 ford Coupe...and everyone got along. A THR was whatever you built yourself.
Precisely..since when did traditional hotrods involve Air conditioning and crate motors? From what i've seen from vintage pictures and stuff its cars that people experimented on and built using what ever parts they could get! I saw a hotrod built in 1954(?) using a chopped 30's ford deuce that was welded to the frame using stick welders and alot of junkyard parts and a mercury flathead.. The farm kid painted it with house paint and had fun with it. Must've been something to see in the day. I've seen the hamb and have no desire to really browse it. If I pick up a a vintage 1950's flathead 6 mopar I may go over there to do some research but not sign up I'd rather ask you lot if you have any experiences.. Maybe go the sister forum and see what happens.

I really enjoy this site because there doesn't seem to be an element of "stick up asses" here. Sure the noobie bashing was a bit worrying, but I just stuck around took the smacks and Now you can't get rid of me!

If I seem a bit hostile to other car scenes I don't mean to be I enjoy all cars, yet most of the time I don't enjoy the scenes or the cliches. I get tired of car bashing (thats not out of joking or fun) or just general hostility. Being young alot of the car crowd seems to get generally pissy towards interest in the older cars... Whats the issue with young people liking older cars?

Also went to the hamb.. Apparently they want back the forum.. I'm guessing it got wacked since it wasn't American steel and somebody made an offensive joke involving henry ford and hitler.. I'm smelling excuse to just get it off since we got mentioned in it.. Really annoying. Also apparently the volksrod name pisses off that lot!

Pissing off purists since day one really seems to apply there

Last edited by DrHax; November 17th, 2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old November 18th, 2014, 10:49 AM   #16
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I talked with a guy last week who was driving a flat black red wheeled Model A roadster built by a local shop. In fact, the shop builds a lot of these for well heeled folks. The driver said he'd always wanted a hot rod, but didn't have the talent to build it on his own. This guy knew all about the car and wore a grin the whole time we talked.
A positive aspect of guys like this, is that their hard earned bucks support shops like the one mentioned above, my buddy's shop, and lines my wallet at times too.
Old November 18th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #17
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
I talked with a guy last week who was driving a flat black red wheeled Model A roadster built by a local shop. In fact, the shop builds a lot of these for well heeled folks. The driver said he'd always wanted a hot rod, but didn't have the talent to build it on his own. This guy knew all about the car and wore a grin the whole time we talked.
A positive aspect of guys like this, is that their hard earned bucks support shops like the one mentioned above, my buddy's shop, and lines my wallet at times too.
Yeah those guys are fine. Its the investment type people who just buy the car yet can't talk about it that are annoying. I've met a few people who had cars built to use as summer daily drivers. They know about the car or people who have a car restored. Its the people who open up their wallet and only see in numbers that are usually snobs.

Old November 18th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #18
Metal Twister
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Yeah those guys are fine. Its the investment type people who just buy the car yet can't talk about it that are annoying. I've met a few people who had cars built to use as summer daily drivers. They know about the car or people who have a car restored. Its the people who open up their wallet and only see in numbers that are usually snobs.
So whats the difference between those guys and the guy who buys a Plymouth Prowler or a new style what ever, then has a paint job done on it just to show it off? I guess what I dont get is who gets to say what is right and wrong? Is there a rule somewhere that you cant talk about your ride unless you built it, or be a snob about if you want?
I build cars for a living, mostly the old stuff. Ive walk up behind guys at car shows and they are telling people all about what they did to their cars and how they did it... When they turn around and see me standing there they almost faint realizing that I built their car for them and I over heard what they said. Ya know I could care less! I'm not into these things for the ego factor. I do it because I love building stuff and am good enough at it that people want to pay me to do it for them. Mr. customer bought the bragging rights as far as I'm concerned.

I like talking VW here and old school hot rod on the Hamb and to be honest I don't give a rats ass if the guy built it himself or not. I certainly wouldn't let it affect the way I thought about him one way or another? If he was a snob so be it... Doesn't affect me in any way.

Call me stupid but I just don't get that "I built it and I'm someone for doing it" stuff? Who cares... Enjoy it to the max for what it is. It can be a total POS or a show stopper... its all good and worth a look at and a discussion dont ya think? If the guy blows smoke up your ass just smile and move to the next one. Very few people do everything on a car all by themselves with no outside help or input.

"It

- Henry Ford-

Last edited by Metal Twister; November 18th, 2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old November 18th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #19
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Nicely said!
Old November 18th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #20
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Twister View Post
So whats the difference between those guys and the guy who buys a Plymouth Prowler or a new style what ever, then has a paint job done on it just to show it off? I guess what I dont get is who gets to say what is right and wrong? Is there a rule somewhere that you cant talk about your ride unless you built it, or be a snob about if you want?
I build cars for a living, mostly the old stuff. Ive walk up behind guys at car shows and they are telling people all about what they did to their cars and how they did it... When they turn around and see me standing there they almost faint realizing that I built their car for them and I over heard what they said. Ya know I could care less! I'm not into these things for the ego factor. I do it because I love building stuff and am good enough at it that people want to pay me to do it for them. Mr. customer bought the bragging rights as far as I'm concerned.

I like talking VW here and old school hot rod on the Hamb and to be honest I don't give a rats ass if the guy built it himself or not. I certainly wouldn't let it affect the way I thought about him one way or another? If he was a snob so be it... Doesn't affect me in any way.

Call me stupid but I just don't get that "I built it and I'm someone for doing it" stuff? Who cares... Enjoy it to the max for what it is. It can be a total POS or a show stopper... its all good and worth a look at and a discussion dont ya think? If the guy blows smoke up your ass just smile and move to the next one. Very few people do everything on a car all by themselves with no outside help or input.

More closer to what I was trying to say. Basically I don't like people who come to shows with trailer queens collect trophies to increase the value of the car then move on. I don't like people who only see the cars in $$$ and then knock other cars that are less $$$ then what you think your cars worth. I have issues with assholes and strict purists.. That why I enjoy the 1958 because its pissed off so many people and has been so much fun. It's even pissed off people who thought it was wasn't worth what we paid then Hagerty valued it at 13k That shut up a few of the american iron snobs. I can't wait till I get my poor man's porsche motor in it.

Old November 18th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #21
Jon
Forum Member

I would have liked to see him keep the narrowed body lines of the hood.
I also hated seeing the RHD drive dash get wasted for something he likely could have built out of a flat sheetmetal. interesting but seems like a of extra stuff to do with little reason of starting with the beetle.
Not because I am concerned about the use of the beetle but it seems pointless as when you see the where its going and its results.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #22
markh
Forum Member

They revived his thread. Fun to watch his progress.
markh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #23
Metal Twister
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Must of saw DrAax's reply and changed their minds? Will keep a flying eyeball on it! Thanks for the heads up...

"It

- Henry Ford-
Old November 19th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #24
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Twister View Post
Must of saw DrAax's reply and changed their minds? Will keep a flying eyeball on it! Thanks for the heads up...
From the sounds of it people were pissed at the mods for offing it. A lot of them were pissed because instead of cleaning up the thread they just offed it. My gut says it because it wasn't traditional and Gods forbid a volkswagen. But people uproared and basically challenged the mods there... yeah. Reading it was kindve funny.

Still not gonna sign up for that place. don't like the atmosphere... I like it here its nice and cozy

Old December 23rd, 2014, 09:37 AM   #25
uglydog56
Forum Member

Jon, one reason to start with a bug (in fact, it's a major reason I started with one) is that it has a title and a VIN and that makes a lot of things simpler on the back end.
uglydog56 is offline   Reply With Quote