Total Online: 453

Newest Member: Cyelle

Latest Threads
- by yimbo

Old April 27th, 2018, 09:28 AM   #1
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Default 21st Century Ignition
Re:: New distributor for my V8 Single Cab.   

Back in the early 80's I installed a Mallory Dual Point distributor in the Single Cabs' 351 Windsor engine. I've been having problems for the last year or so, and plan to replace it with a new pointless unit. I've heard that Summit has a good breaker-less distributor at a reasonable price. Any thoughts & suggestions will be appreciated.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 03:43 PM   #2
whozawhat
Forum Member

Default Re: 21st Century Ignition

I got nothing, maybe you get to be Guinea Pig. ;)
whozawhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 04:29 PM   #3
NWRacing
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I run Mallory Unilites so I still haven't made it to the 21st century.

Oderint Dum Metuant
NWRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2018, 05:11 PM   #4
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

I've installed new points, checked the lobes and drive gear, shaft etc. But for some reason there is no flash at the set which opens first, either when cranking, or just opening them with the ignition on. Checked the wire, ground, etc...sigh. From the coil wire there is a beautiful blue/white spark, from the new MSD coil (after a new Accel coil suddenly quit) and proper resistor. . But it doesn't seem make it to the plug past the first firing. A plug will fire once then nada. Ignition switch checks out, thought I 'hot wired " it just in case. New plug wires check out. I bought and returned a brand new cap, which didn't fit..about .090" id too large when positioned on the dist. body, so it sort of wobbled even with the clips in place. Spare old cap didn't conduct through the center wire plug to the piece running to the rotors top. A second old cap seems okay, but??
Old April 28th, 2018, 12:22 PM   #5
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Go Hall effect... You'll be done with all that wear and tear in the distributor... I went Pertronix years ago on My bugs and never looked back... that is until My Step son hooked my wires up backward during a engine pull and re-install for some reason... They don't work well after that so I went to a "preset" Points distributor and stabbed it so I could go to the store and buy a new Pertronix rig... Been a long time since I had a running Bug motor, but I still have a coupe to build up when the time comes available. Won't be using points in the new builds either.
Old April 28th, 2018, 08:33 PM   #6
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

If it's late when you're reading this, it will likely help you sleep.
Today I pulled out the Mallory Dual point and noticed that both points didn't look like they were seated on the plate. Looked like they hadn't seated at the pivot point, leaving a gap of about .100" between the points assembly and the plate at that end. The other end is held flat against the plate by the small screw which holds things once the point gap has been set. So I pulled the plate for better look. At the pivot point on the plate there is a raised alloy ring (.124" high by .325" dia.) around the the base of the pivot shaft. The top outer edge of the 'ring' has a slight 45 degree relief to allow the hole in the points assembly to slide over and down into place. Except, id of the hole is .002" to .003" smaller than this ring it's supposed to slide over. My old points are the same, didn't fit right either. But I have no idea how far back new ones quit fitting. A minute or so with a small rat tail file and the whole thing slips together. I installed the distributor in '82 or '83. I began to have a problem a few years back with new points wearing oddly. Funny, but the inner part of new dist cap I recently bought and returned was about .090" larger in diameter that the alloy body where it's supposed to seat. It literally wobbled when clipped in place.
Either the specs have changed with later distributors, or replacement parts are crap.
I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but a new electronic system like a Pedtronics looks like the hot setup.
Old April 29th, 2018, 09:29 AM   #7
alykat
Site Supporter

Replacement parts ARE crap in a lot of instances. It's getting harder and harder to find quality bits any more.
Old April 29th, 2018, 10:23 AM   #8
metalmaster1766
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

It has to be replacement parts

Last August I brought a SVDA distributor to replace my 009 that I bought bacck in 1986, I also bought a Pertronix pointless ignition setup for it, when I went to put the Pertronix pointless ignition setup on the new distributor the magnet ring that fits over the distributor shaft with the 4 lobes it didn't fit, I got out my calipers and measured to see why it didn't fit, the new distributor's shaft and lobes were 0.007" larger than the old distributor, so I went back to my garage and pulled out all the distributors I had and checked their size, they were all the same size as the distributor I bought in 86
I took the magnetic ring and set it on the roof of my wife's car which is black and left it there in the sun for about 4 hours and forced it on, then this past winter after driving it for a while, parked it, went out a few hours later it wouldn't run, was popping like it was 180 degrees off, turns out that magnetic ring cracked, so I put points back in, a month later it wouldn't start, I checked everything, no spark at the plug, wasn't until I pulled the cap off, then went to pull the rotor off that I noticed the distributor shaft was broken, I bought it from Appletree and told them what happened, 3 days later a new one came in the mail, the shaft on it is oversized as well, I bought a new Pertronix magnetic ring from Summit Racing but it won't fit, I measured it and it's the exact same size as the distributor shaft, I'm going to use my dremal and try to open up the inside of the magnetic ring because it's easier ro remove plastic than metal

Basically I'm saying these new parts aren't made anything like they were years ago, but then again I didn't even look to see where this new distributor was made versus the old one I bought back in 86
I'm still driving with the old 009 and points, on a these days I'll get around to getting it in because I si don't like adjusting points

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 02:16 PM   #9
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Since I'm obviously not alone with problems of this sort...

A song...to the tune of, ahem, "I've been working on the railroad."
Old April 29th, 2018, 02:22 PM   #10
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Arrgh..anyway...

I've been working on my project
All the live long week
Back and forth to the parts store
Enough times to make me shriek
Used to be
That you could buy parts
Which always worked 'n fit
But these days at the counter
What they hand you
Ain't
Worth
Shit

Old April 30th, 2018, 10:35 AM   #11
V8Transporter
Site Supporter

Hmm. Thinking back, exceptions to the above little ditty are places like Wolfsburg West, JBugs and Wolfgang Intl. I've had very positive experiences with them. Maybe that's because they're supplying parts for bugs and Type IIs, etc.....
Old April 30th, 2018, 06:35 PM   #12
cretin
Forum Member

I picked up a Pertronix, plugs, Bosch wires, and prolly a few other things for the fake Heb about 6 months ago. It's an 009 of mystery origin, but it all went together like butter. Imma take the hint that the VW gods have given me and keep that puppy when I go through the motor

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2018, 10:42 PM   #13
DrHax
Forum Member

I wonder if we could make a pointless ignition system using a reed switch and a magnet put on the rotor arm.

My idea is to drill holes in a messed up dizzy cap then mount reed switches in them. Drill a hole in the router arm then glue in a small magnet. When itís spinning it will trip the reed switch have this input go to the junkyard coils. Frankly a wasted spark system would be fine for this!

I wonder if this would work! Whatís even better is you could even keep a vacuum advance with this set up.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote