Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3
- by Bugula

Old May 1st, 2005, 08:30 AM   #1
4pumpedCL
Forum Member

Does anyone have any information on ditching the factory hinges on a type 1 and replacing them with a hidden hinge? I want to keep the doors opening normally, not suicided, just eliminate the hinges. Thanks in advance.

-Aaron
4pumpedCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:44 AM   #2
Nick
Forum Member

The same exact steps as suicide hinges. I have a few articles at my site and a few other info in the forum archives.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:18 AM   #3
Jon
Forum Member

Heres some insight, alot of work for very little gain.
Chop it or something else. The only time anyone will notice the hinges are hidden is when the doors are open.
Don't waste your time or money, spend it on something more noticeable.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:41 AM   #4
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Like Nick said, it's similar to suicide kits but just mount them in the stock location. Companies like AutoLoc and Rocky Hinge Company (?) have the kits to do this, or you can fab up something on your own using hinges from another make of car or truck that had the hinges hidden from the factory.

I have hinges from a '54 Ford Truck on my Super. They're in suicide configuration, but the same "hidden hinge" principal applies. It's best to have the hinges mounted on a common channel, so you have them operating correctly (square, etc) before you install them in the car. Just makes alignment easier. Then weld the entire unit in as a whole.

Hope that helps...
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:09 AM   #5
4pumpedCL
Forum Member

Thanks for the feed back. I actually like mods that are subtle, sets you apart from everyone else without them really noticing why :)
4pumpedCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM   #6
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon@May 1 2005, 12:18 PM
Heres some insight, alot of work for very little gain.
Chop it or something else. The only time anyone will notice the hinges are hidden is when the doors are open.
Don't waste your time or money, spend it on something more noticeable.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
Jon, for once I couldn't disagree with you more. I prefer the subtle modifications that don't jump out and grab you at first. I remember a bug in one of the mags many years ago that had the top chopped something ridiculous, like 1 3/4" or something. I thought that was crazy to do that much work for something no one will ever notice but I'm not so sure now. I like the idea of people looking at my car and thinking, " Something is different about that but I can't put my finger on it." Plus, stock hinges are the ugliest thing on a bug. I've thought about hidden hinges on a couple of my bugs but they got sold before I ever did anything to them [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dry.gif[/img]

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:56 PM   #7
rollerdave
Forum Member

I find myself thinking that all those little things that may not even be noticed immediately are part of what makes the difference between a finished looking rod and one that just looks rough.

Also, it's probably going to be those more subtle touches that make people keep looking because they find something new each time.

But then if budget is an issue, the "spend your money where it counts most" school of though has a certain validity as well.

I guess that's why I'm here before I even take delivery on mine, I want to plan my attack well in advance.

You guys certainly give a guy plenty to think about and I thank you for it.

Just my two cents,

Roller
rollerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 04:23 PM   #8
Tbone16
Forum Member

what about ghia hinges?
Tbone16 is offline   Reply With Quote