Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3
- by Bugula

Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:31 PM   #1
Tbone16
Forum Member

I have carved a few things with my chainsaw, and figured I might as well give a good lookin hot rod style tiki a try. I carved it tonight and wasnt realy happy how it came out, but I gues I can do another one tommorow. Anyone in here carved with a chainsaw? its pretty cool and easy. Suggestions for the tiki would be apreciated.
Tbone16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:33 PM   #2
75bugrod
Forum Member

the burn marks look sick, id say its a damn good first try
75bugrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:35 PM   #3
Tbone16
Forum Member

coo pick, kinda creepy
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:35 PM   #4
NICKSTER

Quote:
Originally posted by Tbone16@May 2 2005, 06:31 PM
I have carved a few things with my chainsaw, and figured I might as well give a good lookin hot rod style tiki a try. I carved it tonight and wasnt realy happy how it came out, but I gues I can do another one tommorow. Anyone in here carved with a chainsaw? its pretty cool and easy. Suggestions for the tiki would be apreciated.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

I could send you my wife so you can practice on her with your chainsaw!

PLEASE [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Tbone16
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NICKSTER+May 2 2005, 06:35 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NICKSTER @ May 2 2005, 06:35 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tbone16@May 2 2005, 06:31 PM

I could send you my wife so you can practice on her with your chainsaw!

PLEASE [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
I could get my little one out and make sure the doc got ALL the tumor out... JK, keep pimpin mate, your one of my bigger inspirations for doing anything.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:39 PM   #6
Tbone16
Forum Member

Cute little bear i did, for sale. The bears are way easy to do, and look realy good.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:26 PM   #7
Jon
Forum Member

I did 3 16' Tikis once. they are in Myrtle Beach somewhere. I really wish I had some pictures Did it all with a chainsaw. Infact I have done alot of chain saw work with Foam, which is actually harder to do as its very delicate. One wrong move and its all gone. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] I actually make my living as a sculptor.

Anyway I would define the the Eyes a bit more. When ever you look at a sculpt of a face on afny sort the Eyes are the most important. It will make or break the sculpt. We naturally look at the Eyes withwithout any thought to it, it's instinct I guess.

Also, the best way to approach things like this are doing layers. Draw what you want on the front and a side veiw helps. The figure hwere your highest and your lowest points are. Take everything down to your highest point and redraw as you go down. Once you have reached that level do it again with the next lowest point and so on.
This is called Blocking it out. Once you have done so you'll be able to see exactly what you need to finish and make it really stand out. Try and keep as much emotion and excitement in the faces as you can. Make your detail and stylistic lines into actual shapes and grooves....

This of course basic once you have the feel you can just do them without much thought.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:34 PM   #8
gowjobs
Forum Member

I think all you need to do with that thing to make it look more like you want is to make your cuts by taking deeper wedge-shaped sections rather than trying to cut straight lines.

I have three tiki barstools carved in Hawaii back in the '50s... below is a pic of one of them:

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

gowjobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM   #9
spraypaintspecial
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img] I'm not too stoned.... Thats a BIKE [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:44 PM   #10
NICKSTER

Tbone, those bears are awesome! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]

Where do you sell them?

I'm sure some of us would love one! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:47 PM   #11
rollerdave
Forum Member

WOW!

cutting the spokes with a chainsaw, I mean such fine detail...

Did you use some kind of ultra miniature dremel-based chansaw?

I AM impressed.
rollerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 09:29 PM   #12
coopgirl
Forum Member

I love the Tiki man.

I'd buy one off ya but the shipping to Oz would be HUGE!
Old May 3rd, 2005, 04:58 AM   #13
Tbone16
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NICKSTER@May 2 2005, 08:44 PM
Tbone, those bears are awesome! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]

Where do you sell them?

I'm sure some of us would love one! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
Just do them for whoever wants them. That one was carved for a county fair, which I got fucked out of, but if you want one and in TX, i can get you a great volkrodders dicsount, hell ill carve you one for coming out and talking with me.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:48 AM   #14
gowjobs
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spraypaintspecial@May 2 2005, 08:37 PM
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img] I'm not too stoned.... Thats a BIKE [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
BEHIND the bike.

"When worse comes to worst...

..we're screwed"

gowjobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:16 AM   #15
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i'm not stoned, and i saw a bike! after your prompt, and several seconds, i finally saw the tikki.
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 07:24 AM   #16
Tikifreak
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img] kool Tiki dude & for a first it looks great cant wait to see what you can carve in a few monthes if your first looks that good
Tikifreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM   #17
Jon
Forum Member

Theres a cool tool you might be interested in. Its a Chainsaw chain on a wheel. It bolts to a 4.5" grinder.
Its made specifically for carving. Check it out I'll post some info if I can later.
I know Harbour freight sells one, A good name brand one that is. They are not cheap but they kick ass.

There are some really nasty stone carving power tools out there too but they are kinda scarey and you gotta be Hercules to control some of them. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM   #18
Tbone16
Forum Member

yup seen it, just didnt have the coin.