Total Online: 185

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old April 30th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #1
Ian
Forum Member

I have a major major oil leak from my transmission. I have no idea where it is comming from. It's a, new to the bus, used transmission. I replaced the sideplate paper gaskets and put new axle boots on it. I had a leak at the reduction box, fixed it. Now I have this massive leak. When I mean massive, I mean after I set down newspaper and cleaned up the oil which had already spilt, the next day I had a very very considerable amount on the paper. The thing is, I've crawled under there and felt all around with myhand. The boot is a little oily, but it's not leaking from there. However, there is oil on it. I haven't run the bus enough to really blow any seals on it or anything. It's not from the front of the tranny. It's on the drivers side, but a little bit more towards the engine than the axle boots. I don't think it's comming from the area of the engine/tranny mounting. I've noticed some drips of oil where the parts of the tranny meet up...the set of bolts not on the axle sideplates, the ones below it. I tightened those nuts and it still is leaking. I haven't even seen it drip once, even though I imagine it has to be an almost steady drip as the pool is quite large after a short amount of time. It's kind of odd. I'll look at it again tomorrow and try to assess where it is comming from. I'll be dropping the engine very soon to rebuild the carbs, and figure I'll have a look around at that time. I'll put some silicone on the transmission meeting point and see if that'll stop it...but I doubt it. Any ideas/suggestions/help is greatly appreciated. This is such a long transmission replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Punk View Post
it went to a Samba Monkey.
It's all fun and games until the strippers call the cops.

Volksrods.com - Re-engineering the VW Bug one at a time
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 06:21 PM   #2
spraypaintspecial
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img] uhoh
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #3
75bugrod
Forum Member

wait you mean they aren't supposed to leak?.......

lol i'd take the thing apart and inspect it, maybe u left a seal out, or maybe one of them didn't seal right, take it apart and reseal it, i'd dremal the surfaces the seals go on with the wire brush head to make sure its a good clean snug fit
75bugrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:01 AM   #4
Gonzojoey
Forum Member

I don't know much about transmissions, but once I did find a leak by using several small cooking pans. I placed them all under the car at night and in the morning I could see which once caught the oil. This helped me locate the leak better, but didn't get me any points w/ the wife [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
Gonzojoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:56 AM   #5
HotRodMatt
Forum Member

Not meaning to insult you but have you checked the filler bung?

It will blow all around if that is leaking and pool to drip later...
Old May 1st, 2005, 02:58 AM   #6
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Did you lock out the spring plate before you jacked up the bus? Before you jack it up , take a nut and jam in in between the the spring plate and the stop near the torsion bar (I'm assuming a bus is like a bug) then jack it up
. This will keep the axle from dropping as you jack it up. Then clean and reinstall the axle boot. When all is said and done, the axle and axle boot will be on the same level without any kinks. I hope this makes sense. Also, when you remove your engine, replace your rear main seal. With out looking at it in person, I'm just guessing so I hope this helps. .....Tim
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:35 AM   #7
Ian
Forum Member

I'm not taking it apart for anything. I checked both the filler bung and the drain one, neither is leaking. I think I will do the spring plate thing and get the axle boots perfectly straight and such, the one is a little kinked, but not enough to make it leak, I think. Very mysterious. Hopefully once I drop the engine I'll be able to solve it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Punk View Post
it went to a Samba Monkey.
It's all fun and games until the strippers call the cops.

Volksrods.com - Re-engineering the VW Bug one at a time
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote