Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3
- by Bugula

Old April 30th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #1
alltypesvw
Forum Member

ok, so I'm sure there a few people on here that know alot more about electricity on here than what I know.... so here goes...

I have a small but nice 6 amp fully automatic electronic battery charger that has a test cycle built into it.

as I go through cars if theres a battery that works well and has alot of time left on the warranty and I'm selling or parting the car.. I keep the battery.. so when I need one I have one

I wanted to get one of my bug projects rolling and I needed a battery, I picked one off of the shelf and decided to charge it, the test cycle of the charger said bad battery.. but I figure that's just because it has probably been sitting for 2 or 3 years without being touched.

I have gotten it to get past the test cycle by attatching a second battery with jumper cables, the second battery is known to be good and took a full charge, I'm wondering if I'm going to break something doing this [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

the way it works in my head is that I'm just charging a really big battery that was half way down on its charge instead of a totally flat battery of a smaller size.

did I just make this thing 24v? does that matter?
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #2
p-nor
Forum Member

how did you hook up the second battery? series or parallel? that's going to be the determining factor on 12v or 24v. i think that if you go with series, you'll stay 12v. i'm not sure. connect the (-) of the bad battery to the (+) of the good battery. then connect the (-) of the good battery and the (+) of the bad battery to the charger. it's been a while so i could be opposite. hopefully somebody will confirm or deny my answer.

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
p-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #3
alltypesvw
Forum Member

I have the batteries positive to positive and negative to negative

and then the charger is hooked up the way it's supposed to be to the bad battery

like this

i think what youre saying is wire them in series

like this

i tried that just now and it reads it as a full battery.. which I imagine is because in series it would put up more resistance than in parlel like i have it.. but I am unsure
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Hapster
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

What you propose will make it 24 Volt it is called series. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek1.gif[/img] you need to hook them paralelle . (wrong spelling but your first way.) There is no advantage of having both hooked up at the same time except to draw a fast charge from the good one. You would charge it the same way you would jump them pos to pos and neg to neg..

if the battery has bee on the shelf for a long time it might have sulfated. This means there is crud between the plates and will not work any more because no chemical reaction is happening.

You gotta love v-rodders. 40*, poor brakes, 1/4 suspension working, 3+ body colors...but I drove it dammit!

I totally feel at home here.

project pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...ster/?newest=1
Hapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #5
p-nor
Forum Member

thanks hapster, i was 100% wrong. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img] i knew it was one of those but i got it opposite-ly.

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
p-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #6
alltypesvw
Forum Member

how would I know that the battery is sulfated? is there a simple test I can do.. or would attempting to charge for 8 hours and no results be good enough as a test? I just started it charging right before I posted, because I hooked it up and got worried. its a 6 amp charger and is supposed to take 8 hours.
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #7
madpballer232
Forum Member

there is no way to charge a sulfated battery. pretty much trash. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img] it might charge a little ( surface charger) but will never achieve the full 6v again. and will never get the amperage again...
madpballer232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 08:52 PM   #8
CMD
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by alltypesvw@Apr 30 2005, 10:31 PM
ok, so I'm sure there a few people on here that know alot more about electricity on here than what I know.... so here goes...

I have a small but nice 6 amp fully automatic electronic battery charger that has a test cycle built into it

I have gotten it to get past the test cycle by attatching a second battery with jumper cables, the second battery is known to be good and took a full charge, I'm wondering if I'm going to break something doing this [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]

the way it works in my head is that I'm just charging a really big battery that was half way down on its charge instead of a totally flat battery of a smaller size.

did I just make this thing 24v? does that matter?
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
Most modern battery chargers are polarity protected as well as needing some input voltage to assure that it's a battery that's being charged. By adding the voltage from the second battery;you have by-passed the safety feature. After charging for a while you should be able to disconnect the good battery and see if the dead one continues to charge, if not, it probably won't take a charge.
CMD
CMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #9
alltypesvw
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CMD@May 1 2005, 12:52 AM
you have by-passed the safety feature. After charging for a while you should be able to disconnect the good battery and see if the dead one continues to charge
CMD
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
that's what I thought it would do.. but I was unsure if it would actually work.. the known good battery was a similar case but what I did was use jumper cables to a running car to kick some charge into it.. since the car I would be using to do that has an exhaust leak.. and it's night time.. i didn't want to bother my neighbors by doing that.

many thanks
thom
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:51 AM   #10
Woodie
Forum Member

If you can get hold of a manual charger you might be able to recharge your bad battery. You would need to charge it at about 1 amp for 24hrs then try it at 10 for 6hrs. Keep an eye on it and don't let it get hotand keep the liquid level up. Hooking the two batteries up +/+, -/- will allow the good one to discharge in to the low one until they are both equal. When you put the automatic charger on them it will read it as one battery at the higher charged ones voltage. Used batteries that are in storage must be charged every couple of monthes or they will go bad.