Total Online: 183

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Volkstographer
Forum Member

Well as most of you can tell I am new to the forum and well, actually im new to volkswagen ownership as well. I do have a particular problem with my 71' though. I am a kind of a tall person, and when it comes to leg room, the bug is somewhat limited for me. So, I have a question. What would be the best solution for getting the seat further back in the car. ( and yess its all the back right now ) Should i extend the rails ? Or completely remove them from the pan and reweld them further back ? Im open to any sugestions.
Volkstographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM   #2
p-nor
Forum Member

rip those fuckers out of there and reweld them or get some universal mounts out of hot vw's and bolt in some aftermarked buckets. or a bench. or drive from the back seat. how tall are you? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
p-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:16 PM   #3
MatteBlack
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by Volkstographer@May 3 2005, 12:03 AM
Well as most of you can tell I am new to the forum and well, actually im new to volkswagen ownership as well. I do have a particular problem with my 71' though. I am a kind of a tall person, and when it comes to leg room, the bug is somewhat limited for me. So, I have a question. What would be the best solution for getting the seat further back in the car. ( and yess its all the back right now ) Should i extend the rails ? Or completely remove them from the pan and reweld them further back ? Im open to any sugestions.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

I am also interested in this topic. I am 6'6" and over 300lbs. leg and shoulder room are areas of planned improvement. I want to mod the shifter so it up and to the right and mount some old airplane seats I picked up back and a bit more inboard (shoulder room and better weight distribution). I am assuming full custom mounts but, am open to a better method.

Also as I have a '67 is it possible to relocate the seatbelt "ring" rearward?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:19 PM   #4
Nick
Forum Member

Most people don't sit correctly when driving their cars. Your legs shouldn't be all stretched out like a lazyboy position. I've seen alot of tall people drive comfortably in a bug, it would be cheaper just to sit correctly [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] Just my 2 cents.

Other method, try using lower seats like from a Karmann Ghia if your knees hit the steering wheel, or use a smaller steering wheel.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:46 PM   #5
spraypaintspecial
Forum Member

Custom SEATS!!!! Well... eventually. But towards the end of the seat rails there is a section that limits the seat from sliding further back. I ground that crap off and got another 3-4 inches on my stock rails..... But My new seats are gettting delivered this week, so screw stock rails.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:19 AM   #6
PapaG
Forum Member

Just take the front bucket seat out and set on the back seat. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
Old May 3rd, 2005, 09:01 AM   #7
btrghia
Forum Member

a buddy of mine chopped his seats he took a section out of the tubing and welded back together..looked nice.

Tucson, Az
btrghia is offline   Reply With Quote