Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,380
Total Online: 210

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Bugula
- by Ozrod

Closed Thread

Old November 8th, 2004, 08:38 AM   #1
oldskool
Forum Member

I waded thru the search and came up with rumblngs, but no solid discussion...

So the car in question: a 63 roadster-gone-choptop= chopster

After removing the body from the pan to get a few more body mods taken car of, I think the car really needs to be VERY low to get that 'death rod' look. Ya know-- the wheels as tall as possible on the car...

The original plan was to build the beam low and raise the tranny a lot...

Pimp Syncro suggested a body drop while I'm cutting everything up... and it got me to thinking.

Since the front body-to pan 'triangle' has been removed (see pic), can I just shorten the top part of that panel to the height I want and trim the outside of the pan off?

I think I'd like the door sills to be flush to the floor, but I think the center section should dictate the final height.

Any suggestions/ ideas? I'm still brainstorming this one.
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:45 AM   #2
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

check some of how nich dropped his pan halves on the runtrod. i'm gonna be doing a body drop as well and am leaning toward dropping the pan halves to save some headroom as well. even with the seats nearly on the floor, I question if you could fit in the car without dropping the pan halves.....just a thought, but i'll be watching this thread closely myself, because i'm gonna be wanting to learn on this topic myself. Also Rob or will should pipe in as the Butcherrod had a body drop and i've been asking for details about it, but havent gotten any answers yet
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:56 AM   #3
oldskool
Forum Member

I have a plastic bucket seat that is roughly the same dimensions as the Walt/Volksrods bomber seats I'll be making-- and if I put it in the car, I need to space it up to about the top of the heater channel to see out the windows... so, I can theoretically raise it up that much and mount the seat to the floor.

After I trim the outer edge of the pan off, and get the body balanced where I want it by repositioning the front and rear 'over the tunnel' sections, it should just be a case of welding panels from the pan to the rockers.

I'm tring my hardest to think what else might be affected...

Between the way the top was chopped (slid down) the raising of the tranny, and the dropping of the body... I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell Type 1 engine tins will fit. I'll probably go with T3 tins or a T4 motor.
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:18 AM   #4
Nick
Forum Member

check my site out first:
www.RuntRod.com

I have plenty f picts n my body drop (under channeled section). As Dan mentioned, I dropped the florpan halves by welding an 'S' bent sheet metal between the chassis tunel and the floor pas. THis will give you a higer tunel (be aware shifter and handbrakes in case you're doing something to them, FI).

A body drop will affect the front footwell/firewall and rear luggage area. THe engine will sit higher then before (be aware engine tin clearance. But also the fot pedals wil be sitting higher ten the floor now. If you se my site I cut the pedal area, took a sandrail pedal mounting plate and welded it elow the chassis tunnel stck location. You'd have to modify the inside of the tunel to bend the clutch/gas cable tubes downward unless you run hydraulics or something else.

Also be aware of the trunk area, like the gas tank (bottom end needs to be modify to fit in stock location), axles and steering boxes, etc. Also your steerin colun would need to be looked at. Fenders needs to be looked at if you're running them to.

FYI, I relocated my body about 10" back, sounlessyou'l be doin that too I wouldn't follow my picts from y site exactly on your prject. I did mine ths wayfor few reasons, I wanted a low ride with no sacrifice to the headroom (needed a much as I can sinceI sectioned the body too) and I wanted to unbolt the body from the chassis like a factory Beetle.

I'dpost soe picts with this responce but am at work now so have to hury. ANy questions just ask me. It' not an easy job, the chassis mods took me a better part of a year (but alot more mods then just a body drop).

Old November 8th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #5
hotrodheb
Forum Member

On the truck the floorpans have been welded to the top of the heater channels. If you do it this way, you do not need to mess with the pedals. The only problem is that you can't take the body off of the pan. It is now a unibody!!! You could probably do something similar to Nick's setup, but only drop the outside edge of the pan. That way you can still bolt the body to the pan.

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

Old November 8th, 2004, 09:55 AM   #6
oldskool
Forum Member

I've been to your site quite a bit. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]

I don't really want to drop the pans, just the body over the pan edge-- like you'd body drop a truck-- the frame stays put.

My pedals will stay where they are, the steering column will have a different angle, but that's probably here nor there due to the steering situation on a stretched front end anyhow.
The gas tank (I'm using a stock one so I have a gas gauge) may have to be spaced upward-- I didn't think of that.
Right now, there's no luggage section/ rear firewall at all, It's removed untill I decide how high the tranny will be. The front firewall has also been removed for the body narrow...
I think I'll have to remove the rear body mount and mount that higher, too.

The seatling position will be go-kart like, but there have been plenty of kit cars with the seats mounted on/ close to the floor, so it hopefully won't be that bad.
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #7
oldskool
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hotrodheb@Nov 8 2004, 10:49 AM
On the truck the floorpans have been welded to the top of the heater channels. If you do it this way, you do not need to mess with the pedals. The only problem is that you can't take the body off of the pan. It is now a unibody!!!
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
Can I get a pic of that? It'll probably be the way I'm going...
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:03 AM   #8
hotrodheb
Forum Member

I'll try and remember to take some pics tonight when I get home.

Old November 8th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #9
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

geeeze rob, i asked and never got pix or info, and all of a sudden you spout forth with the goods. whats' the deal [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:16 AM   #10
oldskool
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vwfanatic@Nov 8 2004, 11:14 AM
geeeze rob, i asked and never got pix or info, and all of a sudden you spout forth with the goods. whats' the deal [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
I'm more cute. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #11
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vwfanatic@Nov 8 2004, 12:14 PM
Gotta keep it West Coast Dan! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/fingerclear.gif[/img]

Actually, I forgot that you wanted pics! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I think I will write a note to myself on a yellow stickie and stick it to my forehead. The rest of the people at work will laugh [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] and ridicule [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img] me until I run home crying [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/crybaby.gif[/img] , but at least I will get the pictures for you Dan! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Old November 8th, 2004, 10:19 AM   #12
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by oldskool+Nov 8 2004, 02:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oldskool @ Nov 8 2004, 02:16 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-vwfanatic@Nov 8 2004, 11:14 AM
[/b][/quote]

rob's got a new girlfriend [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img] rob's got a new girlfriend [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #13
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vwfanatic+Nov 8 2004, 12:19 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vwfanatic @ Nov 8 2004, 12:19 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by oldskool@Nov 8 2004, 02:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-vwfanatic
Quote:
@Nov 8 2004, 11:14 AM

rob's got a new girlfriend [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img] rob's got a new girlfriend [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

That's okay Dan, you can still be my <span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">BITCH!</span>

Old November 8th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #14
oldskool
Forum Member

lol!

Another thread hijacked!
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:38 AM   #15
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

hey rob...did they beat you up yet? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/confused.gif[/img]
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:15 AM   #16
Nick
Forum Member

Ah ok, so you wanta channeled body not a body drop. I have some picts of Tobias pickup, I'll have to post those picts when I get off work though. Most channelled VWs ave their pans welded to the heaterchannel or remove the heaterchannel outright and use square tubing instead.

Old November 8th, 2004, 11:37 AM   #17
oldskool
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Nov 8 2004, 12:15 PM
Ah ok, so you wanta channeled body not a body drop. I have some picts of Tobias pickup, I'll have to post those picts when I get off work though. Most channelled VWs ave their pans welded to the heaterchannel or remove the heaterchannel outright and use square tubing instead.
Ahhhhh, I see. I always kinda lumped channeling and sectioning together as the same thing.

What I'm looking to do is channeling, removing sheetmetal from the middle would be sectioning, and a body drop would be moving the body and floor down while the suspension remains the same. Right? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img]
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #18
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldskool+Nov 8 2004, 01:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oldskool @ Nov 8 2004, 01:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Nick@Nov 8 2004, 12:15 PM
Ahhhhh, I see. I always kinda lumped channeling and sectioning together as the same thing.

What I'm looking to do is channeling, removing sheetmetal from the middle would be sectioning, and a body drop would be moving the body and floor down while the suspension remains the same. Right? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/stoned.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Sectioning would be removing metal from the sides of the car.

As far as I know, Channeling and body drops are the same thing just different lingo for different generations.

Channeling is old hot rodder/custom lingo

Body drop is Mini-Trucker / Bling Bling crowd lingo.

Old November 8th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #19
Nick
Forum Member

Yup,

sectioned = body chop (chop top for the body)
channelled = mount the body below the chassis (floorpan stays stock)
body drop = drop the entire body

Confusing terms, heck I was sectioning my body and calling it channelling when I first started [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img] I know, I'm using the term channelled on my site when it's actually body dropped (too lazy to change it... and channelled sounds cooler then body drop even though it's alot harder)

I'm home now so picture time!

This is Tobias car, channelled body welding the pans directly to the body I think (removed the heater channels too I think). Body relocated back 10" or so like my project (FYI)

Tobais other project (relocated body again)

you can kind of see where the body is below the floor pans on this pict

no front firewall on this car neither

And if you want a front firewall/rear luggage, my picts of my car:
I cut (sectioned) the top part of the front footwell, the bottom part has dual layers (FYI) so the top part is easier to modify:

For the rear, I pretty much cut the entire rear luggage area and rewelded it higher in it's new location. If you do this you may want to consider welding temp braces to keep the body from flexing (don't want to weld it wrong causing the door from open/closing correctly).

Old November 8th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #20
BOOOGHAR
Forum Member

got any more on tobias OTHER project ..... I think I finall found the look im gunna go after [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img]
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #21
Nick
Forum Member

go to my server: http://69.143.146.45/vw/rods/

Scroll down to bug-rod5xx.jpg (for the split) and bug-rod6xx.jpg (for the pickup) where "xx' means a variable

Or here (old album I put up bt never finished):
http://public.fotki.com/runtrod/custom_vw/page6.html

hit next page for other picts. I have more picts since that's not on that site but on my server

Old November 8th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #22
oldskool59
Forum Member

I think that if the look you are going for is to have the tires look really tall you gotta section it too. It scales the slab sidedness of the chopped body back into scale with the tires and roof. Not only that but almost no one has done it except for nick. Mess around with it in photoshop.....
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #23
hotrodheb
Forum Member

OK Dan you can stop whining now...

Here are a couple of pics...
Top:

Bottom:

The rest are on my photobucket page here... Volkstruck photobucket page

Old November 9th, 2004, 04:10 AM   #24
Griznant
Forum Member

What an appropriate topic, I was doing a channeling job just this weekend on the '56 (pics to follow).

After cutting up the body to do the narrowing (Letherman chop), and to replace the heater channels I figured channeling it down over the frame wouldn't be too much more work. The pans were already out to be replaced, so I didn't have much to do.

I removed the rear luggage shelf and the front firewall from the body so those can be shortened up and still stay in the same basic places as stock, just up further in the body when it drops. I created an "S" bent section of thin gauge metal to drop the floor pans around the inside perimeter of the pan. This required me to cut out 3/4" from the inside edge of the pan (to account for the pan being moved out due to the S shape, and then i cut out another 1" to narrow the pans further to make up for the narrowed body (for the chop). So, the pans were reduced in total width by 1.75" per side. Once that was done, I had to find a way to drop the heater channels lower on the body so they still bolt up to the pans (I want the body to still be removable). I removed a section from the front "A" shaped bulkhead below the firewall of about 3-4" a side. Then, created a boxed section that drops down, and moves out to lower the heater channels (and pan). In the rear, I cut out about 3.5" from the rear heater channel interface-to-pan and created an "L" bracket to drop it down. The net result is 3.5" of full pan drop with heater channels attached which will take the body with it.

[attachmentid=2629]

This sucker is LOW to the ground now. I'll probably have to adjust the ride height once all the weight is in, but the bare chassis looks friggin' bad-ass the way it is. I love it!

Once the body starts to get fabbed back to the modified chassis I plan on shortening the car by a few inches behind the door pillars to keep the roofline intact. Also, I plan on boxing in the open space between the two pan drops so it is smooth across the bottom. The front is already boxed in across the car (if you look under you see a flat plate dropping down below the firewall area).

As Nick mentioned, the pedals are a sticking point with this operation since they are now higher than the floor. I'll figure something out for that. Needless to say, it looks cool, and LOW!

I'll post pics on my project page in a day.

Grant
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:25 AM   #25
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

grant....that sounds very much like what i am planning, letherman chop, removing pan material from the inside at the tunnel.....sounds the same.....as for the pedals, i havent tried yet, but i am thinking of just creating an elevated box area or raised area for your feet that will allow them to sit at stock height and use the pedals where they are.....not sure if the footroom will be there , but that can be worked out if needed.
Closed Thread