Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Tech Bin

The Tech Bin An ARCHIVE of helpful and informative tech posts...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,379
Total Online: 869

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by DrHax

Closed Thread

Old June 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #1
Nick
Forum Member

Started installing my suicide hinges, fun part of the project [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] So thought I'd start a thread. I'm usng ROcky Hinges hidden hinge kit, I got the deluxemedium kit ($300), somes with pre-alligned hinges (I highly recommend!!!) and bear claw latches and mouning kit. Comes with instructions

https://host258.ipowerweb.com/~rockyhin/cgi...duct=Hinge-Kits

What the pre-alligned hinges look like. Most people (even expereince folks) have a hard time installing suicide hinges because noth hinges has to be perfectly alligned. With pre-alligned kits like this, it will cut down your headaches and time tremendously.

Place hinges as close to the middle as possible, cut out the squares and test fit. Follow instructions as may vary depending on manufacture. My pin is located roughtly an inch from the outer edge of the pillar, need to trim the extra square tubing as fit

As the Beetle's B pillar is thing, it will need to be trimmed to fit the thick hinge posts. Hinges tacked for now until everything is certain it alligned properly.

Then I cut a slit on the door's inner post, inserted the hinges into it to test fit. That's it for now, I clamped the hinges into the door panel to test the swing, so far so good [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Full swing, I'll limit this later on. It swings downwards because of the slanted pillars (FYI) so opens in a wierd angle

So far about 30 minutes of labor. To be continued.....

Old June 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #2
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Looks awesome Nick. Can't wait for the new pics. ....Tim
Old June 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #3
reub-revhead
Forum Member

Looks great. I couldn't believe it when you started cutting up your bug but it's taking shape. Sweet!

Kinda wish I'd have installed hidden hinges....

~go the volksies~
Old June 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM   #4
georgiaboy
Forum Member

gonna be one badass ride nick...................... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old June 12th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #5
charlie408
Forum Member

sweet dude is that the stock dash or is it moded
Old June 12th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #6
75bugrod
Forum Member

nice man, now if only i had doors [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
Old June 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Nick
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie408@Jun 12 2005, 09:36 PM
sweet dude is that the stock dash or is it moded
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/nicanor/runt-dash.html
dash is definitely not stock

It feels good having the hinges mocked up, for the 1st time I can open and close the door (even though they're only clamped on temporarily) but definitely a stepping stone I was looking forward to. I remember pissing off the anti-purists when I 1st started the project [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=1775

Old June 12th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #8
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Jun 12 2005, 08:11 PM
I remember pissing off the anti-purists when I 1st started the project [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
http://volksrods.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=1775

Wow! Lots of old names in that thread!

Lookin' good Nick!

ThrasheR

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #9
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Wow nick thats really looking great! What are you going to have to do about adding some bracing in/around the B pillar and in the rear quarter panel area to help support those bug hinges??? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

I remember seeing some pics of hidden/suicide hinges in your photo gallery and the guy had added quite a bit of bracing in that rear quarterpanel area, but also made it so that no door pnael could go back in there. Is there a better way around that? Have you started to think about REAR interior options yet???

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

Old June 13th, 2005, 08:27 AM   #10
Nick
Forum Member

I believe this one's from bugdust's project

For me, it won't be a problem as I can make a new custom inner panel in the back, but for a stock Beetle it maybe a ltitle more trickier. Hopefully bugduist will chime in to see what he's done for the rear panels. One option is to widen the B pillar to hide the hinges and start the panels further back. My car won't need as much bracing, my door's about half the weight as a stocker anyways. My new motto for the project: I'll deal with it when the time comes [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/imwithstupid.gif[/img]

I'm leaving the rear end (window) for last as I'm sure it'll be the hardest to pull off (but will also be the most distinctive feature on the car). Hint: ever wondered why I have so many VW30 prototype pics in my gallery [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:46 PM   #11
Nick
Forum Member

Been fixing a bunch of stuff I messed up (rebuilt the bottom frame twice, etc). So I finally was able to get to the hinges once again. It's tacked onto the doors and opens and closes under it's own power fine (only took two tries) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

Made a quick video clip (2.1mb). I forgot how low my car was until I watched this clip [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilespin.gif[/img]

Suicide Doors <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">right click --> save as</span>

Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:50 PM   #12
PAPA_SMURF
Forum Member

sweet dude [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

66 schwinn, 04 Jetta
https://www.facebook.com/joe.lynch.739
vwclubofhawaii.ning.com
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:09 PM   #13
swoodard23
Forum Member

I really like it. It looks pretty mean. Can't wait to see what you do next.
Scitt
Old June 22nd, 2005, 06:10 PM   #14
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Awesome, Nick!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]

I checked out that old post... it was hilarious reading everyone's reactions when you first cut that thing up [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

I even found a new signature... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

Looks really nice man. Like the decal placement too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smokin.gif[/img]
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:14 PM   #15
Flipper_1938
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Jun 22 2005, 05:46 PM
Been fixing a bunch of stuff I messed up (rebuilt the bottom frame twice, etc). So I finally was able to get to the hinges once again. It's tacked onto the doors and opens and closes under it's own power fine (only took two tries) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

Made a quick video clip (2.1mb). I forgot how low my car was until I watched this clip [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilespin.gif[/img]

Suicide Doors <span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%">right click --> save as</span>

What is the over all height of that thing as it is now?

Its all fun and games .........until somebody calls the cops.

My wife is as mean as a snake as it is. I'm not saying I couldn't woop her in a fair fight, but she doesn't fight fair.

"gonna try the lube and beatin' on it tomorrow... " -Cutman
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:44 PM   #16
Nick
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flipper_1938@Jun 22 2005, 10:14 PM
What is the over all height of that thing as it is now?
I'm guessing about 47" +/- at the highest roof point. I'm about 5' 7", it goes about a few inches above my belly button right now. I'll measure it next time I go there for a definite answer.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 01:03 AM   #17
grumpy
Mr. Asshole Moderator

rock on brutha. all you need is some velcro, screw the door latch [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] it would be funny as hell to get out and hear the sound of the hook and loop pulling apart.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 03:13 AM   #18
Flipper_1938
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy@Jun 23 2005, 01:03 AM
rock on brutha. all you need is some velcro, screw the door latch [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] it would be funny as hell to get out and hear the sound of the hook and loop pulling apart.
Not with SUICIDE doors! ! ! !

He needs some VERY POSITIVE LATCHING LATCHES

My wife is as mean as a snake as it is. I'm not saying I couldn't woop her in a fair fight, but she doesn't fight fair.

Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:14 AM   #19
Kwantum
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/imwithstupid.gif[/img] Jay Oh Kay E [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:24 AM   #20
grumpy
Mr. Asshole Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Flipper_1938+Jun 23 2005, 05:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Flipper_1938 @ Jun 23 2005, 05:13 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-grumpy@Jun 23 2005, 01:03 AM
Not with SUICIDE doors! ! ! !

He needs some VERY POSITIVE LATCHING LATCHES
[/b][/quote]

it was a joke [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollingeyes.gif[/img]
Old June 23rd, 2005, 12:50 PM   #21
57Drag
Forum Member

My dad want's me to install my passenger side hidden hinges on the front of the door.Nice progress Nick,looks great......Donald
Old June 23rd, 2005, 04:53 PM   #22
Jon
Forum Member

Don't do it Donald, that just looks wierd when the doors are different from each other.

Nice job Nick. Have you done this before.
I can think of a few things I would do diferently now that I have done mine.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 05:55 PM   #23
Nick
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon@Jun 23 2005, 07:53 PM
Nice job Nick. Have you done this before.
I can think of a few things I would do diferently now that I have done mine.
This is the 1st time I'm doing hinges. I doubt anyone would want to follow exactly how I'm doing mine. My project isn't really your standard job in doing these hinges, but still a good reference either way [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

A little more progress, picts of the hinges with the "hinge pockets", screwed the hinges onto these door pockets then welded the pockets onto the doors. Hinge pockets still needs to be trimmed to fit

I welded a square tubing between the pockets to keep doors from flexing (bottom hinge may open further then top hinge causing the door to wobble, etc).

Kit comes with pre-fab latch plates

Trimmed and tacked into place

Doors now closes and locks [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] Now pretty much all is left is take the doors off and finish the welds.

-----------------------------------------------

On a side note, forgot who was thinking about the idea of just swapping the post skin around to make suicide doors. After doing this I think that would be 3x harder. If you get normal hinge kit or similar, you can tack weld the door shut before cutting off the stock gines/latches. Then weld the new hinges into place, this way the doors will remain alligned. If you swap the posts around, there is no way you can do this. You'll have to swap 4 skins around (both pillar posts and both side of the doors to match). Plus keeping them perfectly alligned will be hard because you can't place reskin the posts anymore while the doors are tacked. WIll be just trial and error, tack and refit and hope for the best, cut the tack and retack, etc etc... Anywass just my input on that method. Plus the door posts are sometimes dual skinned and in places where the hinges are located is usually have alot of heavy plating behind it that will be tricky cutting out and able to reuse them.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:05 PM   #24
Nick
Forum Member

Progress done in honor of Pete's recovery.

Latch pin ready for final body work

Latch stike plate ready for final body work

Door hinge area ready for final body work

All is left is the door pocket (on the door's area), need to cover the hinges, finish the panel area and that's it

I decided to put a square tubing on the hinges to the latch area to help stablize the hinges, though not really needed on a stock door IMO, but on my doors there's not much inner door panel left to weld the door pockets onto. And no, these aren't meant for an impact crash bar.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 06:47 PM   #25
Flipper_1938
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick@Jul 2 2005, 06:05 PM
And no, these aren't meant for an impact crash bar.

Have you thought about adding REAL door bars? The thought has crossed my mind a time or two.

I think, the trick would be beefing up the ends of the door and door jambs to be strong enough to "hang on to" the door bar.

Closed Thread