Total Online: 570

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old November 9th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #1
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums
Default dent removal

Hey gang,
In your opinions, what would be the better approach to removing this dent? I've already taken the paint off of it. I was considering either the slow epoxy puller thing or trying the hair dryer/ canned compressed air trick. It's a soft dent, only about .4" deep, no creases, about 2.5 x 2" across.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #2
nhtriker
Forum Member

Default Re: dent removal

Have you tried using compressed air? I have successfully popped out tank dents using a rubber block (old sanding block) with a small hole drilled in it. The rubber seals the gas opening and the air gun tip seals the hole in the block. has never taken much pressure. Give it a try.
nhtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Metal Twister
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

The problem with that dent is it is just deep enough that started to crease. When that happens It will pop out with air but will leave a stretch mark. You can use a spot puller and pull it out the best you can then get the Bondo can out Or if it was mine I would cut along the line you marked it with. Once its out I would hammer dolly it back into shape and weld it back in. Skim it with glaze putty and shoot it. Just depends on how far you want to go and how good you want it to look when finished.

"It
has been my observation that most people get ahead during the time that others waste”

- Henry Ford-
Metal Twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #4
ProMetalShop
Forum Member

Hi Jeff
Looking at the damage, there are three distinct creases. These are the strains that are holding the dent in place. If possible to get a piece of solid bar stock, 3/8 or 1/2 inch, and round of the edges off like an eraser and lightly tap the creases out. This will start to remove the dent. Then there will be a ring around the repaired area. With the damage still shallow, have someone hold a dolly on the ridge of the ring, while you tap the low area out. The dolly needs to have about the same pressure if not more while you remove the deep area. Constantly check as you go along. Whatch as you see both areas level. Tanks are only difficult because the lack of access. You may want to weld a T on the bar stock so you have a firm and persice grip. Hope this helps.

Scrap Pile Donater
ProMetalShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #5
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Actually, their aren't any creases, it's just the lighting. The dent is very shallow and it's about 22ga steel.
I'm not cutting it out, that would be hell to do!
I'll get it out as far as I can then bondo it. It's going to have the bottom cut off anyway but they would charge me an extra $50 to knock it out.
Jeff
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #6
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

My first thing would be to try air. Have someone help you by filling the tank with air and holding it, and while the air is up bump around the edges of the dent with your palms. If that doesn't work I would try poking it from the inside with a blunt stick - Paintless dent removal style
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #7
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
Actually, their aren't any creases, it's just the lighting. The dent is very shallow and it's about 22ga steel.
I'm not cutting it out, that would be hell to do!
I'll get it out as far as I can then bondo it. It's going to have the bottom cut off anyway but they would charge me an extra $50 to knock it out.
Jeff
As far as My limited knowledge of Metal forming and Dent repair is concerned, the "Creases" that were mentioned by [ProMetalShop] are there, anytime you make a dent in a contoured piece like that. There is virtually no way to avoid some level of crease.

Crease doesn't mean that there's a fold in the metal, it means there's been a change in the "Arrangement" of the metal at the edges of the dent. This requires some level of dolly work EVERY TIME, even after the bulk of the dent is pushed out (or some filler... your call). At that point, it's important to keep from Stretching the metal while trying to level the edges of the dent with the surrounding metal, should you choose the Metal Shaping route.

I think the Given advice was pretty sound.
Old November 10th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #8
alykat
Site Supporter

Air first, then try a piece of round stock bent in an L shape with the lower leg about the same length as the distance fro filler hole to dent. Weld a round piece roughly the size of a silver dollar on the end and glue on a piece of heavy rubber. I use light convyer belt material. Use another piece of heavy rubber to protect the filler opening threads and you should be able to leaverage the dent out very quickly... as long as there is NO crease.
Old November 10th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #9
bigguy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Have someone else fix it cause it will just be another project you won't finish. Lol.

Last edited by bigguy; November 11th, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
bigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:30 AM   #10
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/s...light=cruffler

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #11
alykat
Site Supporter

^^^^^^ Oh, yeah, I probably should have mentioned earlier that too much air can also open up the tank seams. Couldn't find a "slap yourself in the head" smilie.
Old November 11th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #12
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
Have someone else fix it cause it will just be another project you won't finish. Lol.
I have to finish it as I have to get it sent out to California in the next week or so!
Jeff
Old November 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #13
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post
Good read. Going to try the harbor freight pull thing. The main problem isn't with the tool, it's the patience people have with it. You can't put it on and start cranking on it...just an 1/8th turn at a time and tap around the outer edges of the dent. I'll try it and let you know what happens. Even if I get it out just halfway I'll be pleased.
Jeff
Old November 11th, 2014, 09:38 PM   #14
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by alykat View Post
Air first, then try a piece of round stock bent in an L shape with the lower leg about the same length as the distance fro filler hole to dent. Weld a round piece roughly the size of a silver dollar on the end and glue on a piece of heavy rubber. I use light convyer belt material. Use another piece of heavy rubber to protect the filler opening threads and you should be able to leaverage the dent out very quickly... as long as there is NO crease.
I want to do that but the neck drops down really far into the tank and would be tricky to angle past. Actually have a nice bar to use in there too.
Jeff
Old November 13th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #15
1jarhead2
Forum Member

Paintless Dent Repair aka pdr. I have removed worse damage than this to motorcycle gas tanks using an assortment of stainless steel rods to massage the damage back out. I am actually doing this very same skill set to a 1974 Porsche 911 that was a fresh restoration before the Washington,IL tornado hit it last year.
1jarhead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #16
flatheadgary
Forum Member

i know it's a little late now but a friend showed me a neat trick once. cut a piece of sheet steel a little smaller than the dent. it needs to be long enough to drill a hole in one end big enough to get a hook or some such tool through. now spot weld it on the opposite end to the dent. now mount it to the bike and hook it through the hole and yank it out. cut the welds off and clean it up. it won't be perfect and smooth but it will give a better depth for less bondo. it can be better it just takes more times doing it to get all the low spots out.
Old November 14th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #17
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Interesting but it's not on the bike. I bought this separate from the bike so I didn't have to mess with the mint condition tank that is on it.
I'm thinking of doing the harbor freight puller as its more gentle and maybe the hot/ cold thing later. No big deal as Ryan at Ryca said he could knock it out when they cut the tank open.
Jeff
Old November 16th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #18
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Just measured the dent depth. It's only .24". I just finished wire wheeling the paint off and it is warming up in the basement. I'll try tugging it a bit out tomorrow.
Jeff
Old November 18th, 2014, 02:04 PM   #19
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

It's slow but it's coming out a little. The bottom has pulled out a bit. I'm going to let it rest for the night and try again tomorrow. If it doesn't move much more I'll just have them bump it out at ryca.
Jeff