Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old June 5th, 2009, 05:01 AM   #1
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Lowered Street Buggy...

Well guys & gals, as some of you may know I picked up a Spatz Fiberglass Buggy body. So, it looks like I'm changing directions from "Bunny's Bug" to "The Spaz", using the pan from Bunny's '74 Bug to get this Buggy going. It will only be street driven, & I've been thinking of going low with it. So, my Question is: Does anyone here have a Buggy they lowered? If so, would you recomend spindles, or adjusters? I know I could use both, but, the budget isn't there right now... As it is the Chassis is almost done. I think I need new rear wheel bearings. I need new tierod ends, & balljoints... Brakes will be here after Litchfield... The Chassis' painted & I'm finishing cleaning & painting all the bits & pieces. I'm still trying to decide if I should replace all of the brake lines while I've got it torn done completely. I did get new rubber brake hoses though.

Any info would be appreciated!

P.s. if anyone has some extra parts I could use on the buggy they are willing to donate to a good cause, let me know! The body (as seen in the score thread) is just a tub at this point. Not even a windshield frame or dash panel with the thing... So, I'm going to need gages, steering shaft w/ignition, wiring, lights, seats, you name it... I'll need it! I don't have much cash, but, I have some, plus a bunch of spare parts *new trunk section, like lights, dist., a couple carbs, & such... a couple other things too... (I'll post in the wanted section once I get a good list going of what I need for it)

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...
66 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #2
mkparker
Forum Member

Default Re: Lowered Street Buggy...

Cool project! I had a Spatz that I traded off before it was finished. I think spindles are always a good idea for lowering. Put an ad over in wanted...that's where I got mine. Jump on some of the buggy sites also, there are a lot of parts swapped back and forth on them.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #3
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Parker,
You posted it on the Samba in the Buggy forum, right? I thought I saw your name next to one on there... I just wish mine was more complete when I bought it! They've always looked really FUN to drive, so, I guess we'll see!

Another qusetion I had (I did a search, & had a reply here so, I came to read here... ) I'm thinking of trying to reuse the exhaust that came on it. (yeah, I'm broke) It needs to be repainted... What's "THE BEST" option as far as paint goes? I've seen different "high heat" & "BBQ" paints, but, I wanted real world results from people here that have used it.

Thanks!

Old June 5th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #4
lunatic_magnet
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i always do new brake lines whenever i have everything apart *shrug* cheap insurance and its easy to do when you have access to everything.
dont you have the gauges, steering shaft, and whatnot from the donor car?
volksrods member #39
forget wd-40 and duct tape... i have a sawzall and a welder.
lunatic_magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #5
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Yes, I do have the parts from the donor car, but, I'm still (eventually) going to finish the bug as a bug. I can probably pick up another bug speedo, but, I was looking more for some "cool" gages that have multiple readings on them, Like ones that have gas, volts, oil pressure, all in one kinda. Plus, I wanted a Tach. I think I'm all set on the steering shaft. I just remembered I have one from another chassis, I just don't know what shape it in.

On a side note, I checked out the high heat paint on the Samba Buggy forum, & the concensus is, that they've used a few different ones. But, I'll break it down as to how I read it:

*Best* Caterpiller "Black Muffler Paint" - "The best high heat paint I have found is Caterpiller "Black Muffler Paint" in a spray can for about $12.00 a can. If you sandblast the header then spray it the paint will stay looking good forever."

*Works OK* Krylon BBQ/Stove paint - "I have found that Krylon BBQ/Stove paint to hold up the longest out of anything else in that price range"

*Works OK* Dupli-color - "1200 degree high temp silver paint made by Dupli-color looks like ceramic coat on exhaust and it hasn't melted on me like all the others I've used. I just think it looks better than black or rust"

The main thing is Prep... Go figure...

Old June 5th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #6
mkparker
Forum Member

Here is mine after the guy I sold it to finished it up.

More info here, Texas Manx Forums

Build site here.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM   #7
fishguts
Forum Member

Hey Shorty ... guess what's sitting in my shop unused?

2 1/2" dropped CB ball joint spindles for drum brakes.

I had to go to disks with Voltsrat so there they sit. They'll need cleaned up from sitting around - very light rust, but should be pretty much ready to roll, Yeh, I bought them new but if you want them, they're yours ... and if times get better and you win the lottery or something, just remember the "little people" in your life who helped you get there and cut me in on a million or two.
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #8
Mikelrome
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Nice score shorty!
I can't decide on stock raised or lowerd on my buggy. The thing I do want is a choped wind shield. Keep us posted on your build. My buggy has the stock steering out of a bug. you should be able to use the bunny sterring. Then put it back when you go with the bug.

Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #9
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

spindles for sure on a street buggy. The front end of a buggy is already stiff as hell from being a few hundred pounds lighter than a bug. dropping the adjusters on the mat just makes everything tighter. My buggy only has the spring pack in the lower tube and a through rod on the top. That gave me enough sag in the front end when it was all built up to give a decent ride and just enough rake that I liked the stance. the rear is at stock height, maybe an outer down, i can't remember where i have it set it's been so long. It's a long buggy, so it doesnt' look right to me totally slammed. I actually pulled my drop disk spindles back out of it. Short buggys look sick sittin on the deck.
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #10
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguts View Post
Hey Shorty ... guess what's sitting in my shop unused?

2 1/2" dropped CB ball joint spindles for drum brakes.

I had to go to disks with Voltsrat so there they sit. They'll need cleaned up from sitting around - very light rust, but should be pretty much ready to roll, Yeh, I bought them new but if you want them, they're yours ... and if times get better and you win the lottery or something, just remember the "little people" in your life who helped you get there and cut me in on a million or two.

WOW! You are Totaly Awesome Dave!

I Owe you Big time!

When I use the drop spindles, do I need the lowered ball joints, or are stock ones fine for that? I would think that stock is OK, cuz the only thing that changes is the spindle. Am I thinking right?

MkParker, that came out Sweet! I liek the extra touches he gave it with the diamond plate florrs & other stuff.

Mike,
That's my idea too, if I go with a windshield frame, I want it chopped, but, I don't know about ruining a good frame... Mayeb I can make something? I was originally thinking of building the WS into the roll cage. But, once again, IDK how to do that either.

Old June 5th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #11
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Shorty View Post

WOW! You are Totaly Awesome Dave!

I Owe you Big time!

When I use the drop spindles, do I need the lowered ball joints, or are stock ones fine for that? I would think that stock is OK, cuz the only thing that changes is the spindle. Am I thinking right?

MkParker, that came out Sweet! I liek the extra touches he gave it with the diamond plate florrs & other stuff.

Mike,
That's my idea too, if I go with a windshield frame, I want it chopped, but, I don't know about ruining a good frame... Mayeb I can make something? I was originally thinking of building the WS into the roll cage. But, once again, IDK how to do that either.
I have to dig around because I lost the link, but the guy that makes 90% of all of the buggy windshields everyone sells will build you a chopped windshield for about the same price as a standard height.

duh, that didn't take long

http://bugshieldsbydino.com/

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0; June 5th, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
HeidelbergJohn4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #12
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 View Post
spindles for sure on a street buggy. The front end of a buggy is already stiff as hell from being a few hundred pounds lighter than a bug. dropping the adjusters on the mat just makes everything tighter. My buggy only has the spring pack in the lower tube and a through rod on the top. That gave me enough sag in the front end when it was all built up to give a decent ride and just enough rake that I liked the stance. the rear is at stock height, maybe an outer down, i can't remember where i have it set it's been so long. It's a long buggy, so it doesnt' look right to me totally slammed. I actually pulled my drop disk spindles back out of it. Short buggys look sick sittin on the deck.

Do you happen to have any pics of the Long Buggy with the lowered front/stock rear? I talked to a guy the other day about doing the front like you said w/the threaded rod & all... He says it should give a Sweet ride, he said to drain the oil out of theshocks too... Although I've heard of running motorcycle fork oil in the shocks, or thinning out the oil in the shocks works as well. There was a write up on how Bruce Meyers used to do it, drain the oil, thin with lighter fluid, & screw a screw in teh whole & solder it back up. Some have even used JB Weld.

Old June 5th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #13
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Do you happen to have any pics of the Long Buggy with the lowered front/stock rear? I talked to a guy the other day about doing the front like you said w/the threaded rod & all... He says it should give a Sweet ride, he said to drain the oil out of theshocks too... Although I've heard of running motorcycle fork oil in the shocks, or thinning out the oil in the shocks works as well. There was a write up on how Bruce Meyers used to do it, drain the oil, thin with lighter fluid, & screw a screw in teh whole & solder it back up. Some have even used JB Weld.
I"ll have to look. I took it apart and stripped the body like 4 years ago and I've lost three hard drives since then. It's sitting a little high right now and I sold the wheels I had on it back then. It also drops a decent amount when my fat ass is sitting in it.

Oh, i ran it around on a set of cheap old shocks that were half dead. I ran it a little while with no shocks, but it needed something. I tried a set of new monroe shocks I borrowed from a friend and it was way too firm. i used the old ones he was replacing and it was fine.

I've heard of running lighter weight oil in stock shocks to drop the rate. I just painted up the old shocks- same difference I suppose.

Last edited by HeidelbergJohn4.0; June 5th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
HeidelbergJohn4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #14
fishguts
Forum Member

Stock ball joints.

Yeh, I'm really just doing this so you owe me big time, then you'll take me for a ride in that buggy and I can hang my head out the side and let my tongue flap in the wind.
Old June 5th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #15
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

You've got it Man!

Old June 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM   #16
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
There was a write up on how Bruce Meyers used to do it, drain the oil, thin with lighter fluid, & screw a screw in teh whole & solder it back up. Some have even used JB Weld.
Actually, Bruce himself told me to do that at Carlisle last month. You ought to see the spare tire in the new kickout- He said he's been using a 10'' trailer tire on an adapter for 40 years. The rear deck is molded for just that.
Old June 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #17
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 View Post
I have to dig around because I lost the link, but the guy that makes 90% of all of the buggy windshields everyone sells will build you a chopped windshield for about the same price as a standard height.

duh, that didn't take long

http://bugshieldsbydino.com/

John, thanks, I checked out his site.

Joe (Bugvert) has a full sized one he said he'd sell me. I'll be picking it up at Litchfield, I believe he's going to be there.

I can live with a full size windshield, it might look better being a full length body to have a full size W/S.
Besides, it's a "Great Deal" too!

I have a set of Aluminum slotted wheels I was going to use, but, they are only 14"s. They'll be going up for sale as soon as I take a few pic of them if anyones interested!) I have 2-14" x 7" & 2-14" x 10". I might use the 14" x 7"'s on the front if I can find a set of 15" x 10" for the rear that match. The ones I have are a universal 5 lug set-up.

I'm looking for some 15" x 10" wide wheels though. If they don't match, I'll need to get a full set of 4 7's (or whatever size) in front 10's in rear. TC said he might know someone with a set of VW wheels the size I'm looking for, I'm still waiting to hear from him on them. He said it's someone that'll be at Litchfield too, so it shoudl save on shipping too, if he will sell them...

Old June 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #18
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

hey shorty....talk to the travelocity gnome.....he hit me up for donations. see ya at litchfield
vwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #19
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Sweet! Thanks Dan!

I'll get in touch with him later today.

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #20
lunatic_magnet
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

shorty i found 2 steering columns w/steering wheels in my stash... your choice if you want one for your buggy. one has a 14" or so aftermarket wheel and one has an original style wheel. TC could probably spruce them up for you...
volksrods member #39
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:06 AM   #21
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Cool, PM me details, like what you want for one, pics, etc...

Thanks Pete!

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #22
lunatic_magnet
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

usual forum discount applies :)
i'll take some pics for you at some point if im not feeling lazy :p
volksrods member #39
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #23
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Let me know if there's anything you need.

Old June 12th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #24
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

What do you guys think of this?

I picked up a 914 guage pod. The suround seems to fit my dash piece perfectly, only up-side-down...

I've been thinking of adding a couple gauges for oil temp/pressure, & amp gauge... If I do, I'd like to go with VDO gagues to match what I already have though. What are your thoughts?

Pics!

Here it is with the suround sitting on the dash piece that's waiting to be finished...

Old June 12th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #25
fishguts
Forum Member

I'll try to remember to bring those dropped spindles to Litchfield for you.

Tags
buggy, lowered, spatz, street