Total Online: 585

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old September 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #176
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Lowered Street Buggy...

I agree with fish that they suck for the exact same reasons.
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #177
Steve White
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Shorty View Post
WOW, No one likes my Bezles?
figured you were aware that they are sweet! Why dwell on the obvious?

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Steve White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #178
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

As I said, I've had a bit of "down time" on the project (& with life in general...) So, I was fishing for compliments, only to help boost my enthusiasm, to get this buggy project moving. I really wanna get some work done on the Shorty, but, I don't want to start in on it till the buggy is completed!

Thanks! I think they look sweet too! But, I'm still a bit nervous to screw up the entire pod, when I 'glass it all up. I hope to get my ass out there & at least get the fabric stretched over the pod & resin it tonight. I've also got to try & fix my dryer, it shit the bed yesterday. I have 2 dryers, one spins with no heat(newer), the other heats, but, no spin (older)... Just my luck! Unsure if I should pull the belt from the new one to put on the old one, or pull the heating element out of the old one & put it in the new one...

On a side note,I was offered to strip out parts from a friends Dodge Neon that has a blown motor. I'm thinking I might be able to score some decent parts to add to the Buggy. I was told that the rear seats fit really well in a Buggy, so, we'll see on that! Plus, the center console supposedly fits pretty well from what I've been told.

Here's a solid model of the smaller Bezels I made, before I made the actual parts... This is something I do regularly. I just wish I could use the machines whenever I want to make all the parts I've made into solid models.

Jack of all trades, Master of collecting projects.
(yeah the unfinished kind... )
"Bunny's Bug" Build thread
"The 66 Shorty" Build thread

Looking for "Buggy parts" for my Spatz Buggy (Budget build)...

Last edited by 66 Shorty; September 28th, 2010 at 03:00 AM.
66 Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #179
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I got some more work done on the pod the past few days. I got the material stretched & had a little problem area, but, I sorted it out enough till I get it 'glassed. Then last night I resined it & let it set-up. I was originally going to glass it from the inside, but, I'm not sure if there's enough room to get a good lay-up in there, & I can't build up any material around the small pods. (in the area of the aluminum disc's) If I do I won't be able to fit the bezels I made...

Old October 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #180
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Here it is trimmed up & ready to have glass laid in from the back side... I laid the glass from the back, but, it's drying right now.

This is my first time doing something like this. I think it came out great!

Tell me what you think!

Old October 10th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #181
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Man you are doing some neat stuff. I like the long wheelbase body you got alot.
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Daily driver: 91' Cadillac Brougham.
AirheadZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #182
Palepainter
Forum Member

That really came out sweet. Love the layout and the depth that it has. It gives me some ideas for a few items for my interior.
Old October 10th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #183
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Great friggin job Steve!! Awesome!
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 05:25 PM   #184
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Looks good Steve.
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #185
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Thanks guys!

I added some Everglass to the inside where the front of the tubes meets the fabric & then added 2 layers of fiberglass mat inside as well. On the outside I've added some everglass to the wrinkled area I had when I stretched the fabric incorrectly, but, I made up for it.

The pictures don't even show how strong this thing is! I can't believe how strong 2 layers of 2oz mat is! I'm VERY impressed with the products & the ease of use as well.

And of course I had to throw it in the buggy to get a glimpse of what it might look like. I still have to trim the dash for it to fit, but, you get the idea... (Don't mind the mess...)

Since these pics, I've roughed down the everglass on the outside, but, I didn't take any pics of that.

Old October 11th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #186
fishguts
Forum Member

Wow, Steve, that is amazing work. Great design and great execution.

I should have asked for your advice before embarking on a 'glass gas tank project which yesterday officially turned into a big ball of crap! So back to the drawing board.

So cool to see you making progress.
Old October 11th, 2010, 02:57 AM   #187
lunatic_magnet
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

pod looks sweet shorty!
volksrods member #39
forget wd-40 and duct tape... i have a sawzall and a welder.
lunatic_magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 03:36 AM   #188
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguts View Post
Wow, Steve, that is amazing work. Great design and great execution.

I should have asked for your advice before embarking on a 'glass gas tank project which yesterday officially turned into a big ball of crap! So back to the drawing board.

So cool to see you making progress.

Wow I feel honored! Aren't you like the Fiberglass Wizard or something???

Thanks Pete! How are things?

I haven't talked to any of you guys in a while! Been running around doing things with the Family, & whatnot...

I did a bit of sanding last night, & it's lookin even better already! Well, to me it is. I don't think what I did would come out in pictures, so, no need to post them. I probably won't post any more till it gets some paint on it, which won't be for a while I think.

Who's good with preppin fiberglass? I want to know if I should wait to pick up some high-build poly primer for this pod, or just buy the spray bomb primer from like Wally World. I was told it's not good to use the spray bomb primers cuz, the paint will most likely peel, or it could bubble up under a different paint product than their product line. Is this true or false? Thanks!

Old October 11th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #189
Daddy o's 67
Forum Member

Dave,

I'd advise not to make a fuel take out of fiberglass. Ethanol that is in today's fuel will melt the resin and deposit it inside your motor. The fuel today is some bad stuff!
Daddy o's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM   #190
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy o's 67 View Post
Dave,

I'd advise not to make a fuel take out of fiberglass. Ethanol that is in today's fuel will melt the resin and deposit it inside your motor. The fuel today is some bad stuff!
I' had a 60 gallon fuel tank full of $#it and a trashed quadrajunk in my donzi thanks to ethanol to back that statement up. I had to change the fuel tank to a poly tank, change all the fuel lines, install a new fuel pump and rebuild the carburetor thanks to the 10 friggin percent ethanol in all of our fuel. Our marine fuel was supposed to get a waiver, which we had, but our dumbass dockmaster was buying 94 octane road fuel from the distributer because they didn't have non-ethanol 94 octane available.
I of course filled up with several times including just before I layed it up for the winter. 60 gallons at $4.90 a gallon cost me just shy of $2800, AND I couldn't run the fuel, so I had to dispose of the entire tankful.
Old March 30th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #191
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Well, this is the second time I'm trying this... I just wrote a HUGE up-date with pics, but somehow it didn't post... So here goes again. It won't be as long as the last one, but, I'll try to cover most of the bases...

I've done a bunch of work, but, didn't take pics. I tore down a motor for the buggy & ran into huge problems with the heads having cracks, so, I pulled off some heads off a motor that was "a good runner before it was pulled", & those heads were cracked as well. So, Tc came down with a couple of sets & they were cracked too! I ended up with one head w/o cracks. The sad part is, when I blasted all th heads, I didn't just blast the problem area & check for cracks, but, instead I blasted the entire head to make it look new again... THEN I blasted the combustion chambers... What an IDIOT!!! I spent MORE time on the cracked heads than I should have... I'm over than now, I'm just waiting on finding another head locally before I have someone ship me one.

OK, On to the work I did this past weekend.
I cut up some 1-1/4 x 1/14 x 1/8 steel tube for pan edge reinforcements. This is the first time I've tried this method. It was a bitch trying to find someone that could bend square tube... SO this is what I did.

I'll be welding nuts or some tapped steel blocks in the tube to bolt my body down. I couldn't find my 10# spool adapter for my welder, so, I didn't get any welding done.

Here's a pic of a guy & his buggy disassembled in my driveway that was brought to me to help him out with fixing some issues.

One of the (out of the MANY) issues he wants me to help resolve, is his trans pops out of 1st often. I know one reason could be his tall (heavy) shifter, but, I bet this has something to do with it too...

It looks like all of his mounts are in decent shape. The mount underneath has a slot in the bracket, Maybe adjusting that will help. What would cause something like this?

Old March 30th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #192
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Shorty View Post

OK, On to the work I did this past weekend.
I cut up some 1-1/4 x 1/14 x 1/8 steel tube for pan edge reinforcements. This is the first time I've tried this method. It was a bitch trying to find someone that could bend square tube... SO this is what I did.

I'll be welding nuts or some tapped steel blocks in the tube to bolt my body down. I couldn't find my 10# spool adapter for my welder, so, I didn't get any welding done.

I' have used that method to bend square tube, angle iron, as long as you get a good weld on all the cuts it will be just fine

On that last picture I wanna get an exhaust like that for mine so I can put the early deck lid on it.

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #193
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

DAMN, It's rounding on 4 YEARS for this project!!!

Between Life & health issues in the Family, Kids needing Dad to be Taxi driver & just plain old being lazy, I guess it's right on schedule.

Tc came by & did some work on his MG Chassis that's rotting away in the driveway, then just after he left, Pete stopped by to drop off a fender for Tc. I was workin in the garage while T was plain in the driveway. I didn't get a whole lot accomplished, but, did some work. & I realized I never posted pics of the rails welded up. I still have to cap off the ends & drop/weld the threaded inserts I made for them, then I can weld them in. Once I get that done & the seat reinforcements welded on, I can drop the chassis down on all 4 again & shouldn't have to flip it again! I need to make room for Shorty for the winter. Bunny's gettin tired of seeing Shorty sittin there next to the nice patio I made... LOL!

Today I'll be replacing the trans seals, & capping off the ends of the rails. That aught to get me a bit closer to gettin it back down again. I won't be able to put the seat reinforcements in till I get another seal slider, but, I'll keep moving on till I get there. If worst comes to worst, I'll just flip it up again when I'm ready to weld them in, but, for the time being I gotta get the garage cleared enough for Shorty to hang out in there.

Edit: I can't get pics to dl from my phone to my computer for some reason, so, I'll have to add pics later...

Last edited by 66 Shorty; October 8th, 2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: couldn't add pics...
Old January 14th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #194
66 Shorty
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

LMFAO! & I thought rounding 4 years on the Buggy project was bad... What was I thinking?!?!?

I have done some work since the last posts, but, I've also has some health issues that prevented me from going into my garage.,.. or anywhere for that matter. LOL!

I hope to be adding some up-dates to this soon!

Gotta sell the Opel Gt if anyone is interested...

Tags
buggy, lowered, spatz, street