Total Online: 217

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old January 1st, 2014, 06:55 PM   #26
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: V8 Bugrod Design Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ghia View Post
Shit...I need AutoCAD (and the brains to be able to figure it out)

You guys and your amazing computer program stuff. Definitely can see the use in them - this one is quite interesting.
You can do it. I don't have a brain and I can do it!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2014, 06:12 AM   #27
jkien65
Forum Member

I have done AutoCAD for 23 years and I am learning SolidWorks now. If I can do it, any one can.
Old January 10th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #28
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Shit...I need AutoCAD (and the brains to be able to figure it out)

You guys and your amazing computer program stuff.
I got AutoCAD back in 2000, I messed with it for about 3 years & couldn't do anything but simple drawings with it, then when we got a new computer it wasn't able to run the AutoCAD program I had, so that was the end of AutoCAD for me, that is unless I can ever afford to buy it again & get some kind of lessons to get me started, I knew nothing at all about it, matter-o-fact, that was the 1st thing I ever did on a computer besides CNC programming, I learned that in 1986 all on my own, but that was simple programming, I forget what it was called, something like conversational programing, super easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiI View Post
You can do it. I don't have a brain and I can do it!
Jeff
Jeff, you have no brain??? Damn, ya could a fooled me
Hell my brain has been damaged quit a bit over the years, I blame it on all the meds I hafta take, as well as all the anesthesia I've been on over the past 14 years, I could also blame all the blood they transfused into me, or, maybe I should say, the blood that "went thru" me & ended up on the surgery room floor

But hey, I'm still able to do just about everything I could always do, it just takes me 3 to 4 times as long to do it

OK back to the topic of this thread, I just couldn't resist replying to Jeff's "I have no brain" comment
Sorry

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #29
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

You can ask my wife, she'll back me up on this one!!!!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #30
DrHax
Forum Member

Took a class on autodesk inventor (Autocad but fully 3d) did well in it, just I don't know. I like using my eyes better.. However using yer head, and then trying to relay to people what you want to do.. Don't really work out well ahaha. I want to chop the car this much, drop this part to here. (Watches their eyes go cross eyed) I look forward to see where this build goes.
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2014, 09:13 PM   #31
d3ghia
Rabble Rouser

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
Took a class on autodesk inventor (Autocad but fully 3d) did well in it, just I don't know. I like using my eyes better.. However using yer head, and then trying to relay to people what you want to do.. Don't really work out well ahaha. I want to chop the car this much, drop this part to here. (Watches their eyes go cross eyed) I look forward to see where this build goes.
Yep. I have had a vision since '98...tried to explain it a few times over the years. Most look at me like I am crazy and can't see what I can see in my mind's eye.

Soon though... the build will begin.

This approach though, very cool. Both the drawing and then all the specs and tech to see and plan ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't be Fucking stupid.

The bolt is Fucked, it won't fix it's self,
the Bolt Fairy won't fix it, and you can't fix it.

I know there is a Full Moon, but quit Fucking around.
d3ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #32
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Yep. I have had a vision since '98...tried to explain it a few times over the years. Most look at me like I am crazy and can't see what I can see in my mind's eye.

Soon though... the build will begin.

This approach though, very cool. Both the drawing and then all the specs and tech to see and plan ahead.
Yeah I've tried drawing it out its just.. whats in me head doesn't match what gets scribbled out paper. Actually what i have done for my bug is find a similar bug from a hot vw magazine trace then use scissors to cut and chop it. And actually proved some ideas I had about what to go through. I'm a very visual person. So I can see it all in my head Probably why I enjoy writing. Still I've planed out some things for this car, can't wait to have fun with it. I love it when people doubt you and say that won't work or just go crossed eyed. then you do it and Suddenly they want the damn thing you just made Happened in school, welding class, hell anywhere. Guess i have a talent for making people underestimate me.
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:12 PM   #33
v8bugrod
Forum Member

02/17/2014 – After getting to closely examine the Beetle shell I acquired on New Year’s Day and more research on VolksRods.com, I have been able to refine how the 2” x 4” main rails will run under the heater channels. There is a long straight vertical wall in the heater channel that runs from under the rear quarter panel up to the bend in the footwell. You will notice in the bottom view, the trapezoidal main rails in red under the doors. I also improved how the 1” square tube bracing will tie together the rear suspension, transmission mount and front rails:

The real design work has been in doing a bunch of research on suspension design and reviewing different solutions from a number of the top name chassis manufacturers. I am leaning towards a specific vendor that has very good offerings for weld in Mustang II IFS and triangulated four link rear end suspensions. Once I make a final decision, I will fully design the chassis in SolidWorks based on their product specifications and details obtained from the donor Beetle I cut up this weekend (See V8 BugRod Build Thread ). I want to be able to work with the vendor to review my design to ensure I am integrating their product correctly, and get their feedback on the overall design. I won’t reveal who the vendor is until after the design is complete and I am satisfied with the results, but it will be a name you should recognize.

There are several design changes that I have held off until I start the detailed chassis design in SolidWorks. Some of the significant items include:

• Lengthening the lower rear trailing arms, will require changes to rear cross member and everything in the corners ahead of the rear wheels.
• Lengthen the upper rear trailing arms and reverse the angles so that they connect to the chassis near the middle and extend to the axle near the shock mounts. This will change the chassis around the driveshaft hoop.
• Move the 70 degree angled face of the rear suspension framework back about 1-1/2”, this will put the rear seat back at about the same location as stock.
• Widen the chassis rails on either side of engine from the current 28” to 31”, and front track width from 56” to 60”.
• Replace current SBC/4L60E powertrain with LS1/4L60E package, changes engine and transmission mounts.
• Identify source for radiator and incorporate into detailed chassis design.

I expect the detailed chassis design and vendor reviews to take a couple months. So don’t expect a whole lot of activity here until Tax day. I will be posting on the Build Thread as I get the Beetle Shell and Donor Parts back to Minnesota, set up shop and do some preparatory build work.

I don’t expect much to change with the body design going forward, I am really happy with the overall shape. But I do have to resolve the bumper issue, and may need fenders to get licensed in Minnesota. I may reach out to someone who does car renderings to create a good perspective drawing of the body based on the current design. Then tinker with different bumper/fender options. One idea I had was to change the current Prowler pods to be made from early 60’s vintage Beetle bumpers (cut two feet out of the middle, weld on ears that mount to the chassis). This would add another Beetle element to the design.

A rendering would give me a warm fuzzy to have some visual confirmation of what is in my head before committing and starting work. Would hate to build it and end up with a butt-ugly car. If you know of someone who might do this kind of work, please let me know.

I know this is a pretty long post, but that’s how scary the inside of my head is.
v8bugrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #34
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozawhat View Post
the one and only jaransonT3
Yes

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #35
v8bugrod
Forum Member

09/18/2014 – It has been way too long since my last post. Cross country moves, selling and buying houses in different states, major remodeling projects, and life in general has slowed my progress on the V8 BugRod this year, but I have made some tangible progress.

To begin with, I have updated the design to the point that were I am ready to freeze the chassis, driveline, suspension and most body countours. The following are the changes made since the 02/17/2014 post:

• Lengthening the lower rear trailing arms, changed rear cross member and everything in the corners ahead of the rear wheels.
• Lengthen the upper rear trailing arms.
• Widened the chassis rails on either side of engine from 28” to 31”, and front track width from 56” to 60”.
• Replace SBC/4L60E powertrain with LSX/4L60E package, changed engine and transmission mounts.
• Refined wheel and tire package, selecting specific brands and sizes.
• Incorporated a ½ degree rake into the design.

An underlying design decision is that I am going with Art Morrison IFS and Tri-4 rear suspension packages. I will use AME control arms, 2” drop spindles, trailing arms, steering rack, coil over package and many other component parts. I will not be using the AME front crossmember.

Here is a composite view with the body, chassis, driveline, wheels, and front seating:

Here is the body without all the underlying clutter.

And here is the chassis, driveline, suspension, etc. without the body:
Old October 22nd, 2014, 07:42 PM   #36
v8bugrod
Forum Member

10/22/2014 – Well I finally got in touch with John Jaranson to work on a rendering of the V8 BugRod. What a phenominal talent he is. Here is the first rough sketch of the front/driver perspective:

After some email exchanges, here is version 2 with some side view mirror concepts:

We have another iteration in process now, and it will should be pretty darn close to the final form. Will post when its ready.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:55 AM   #37
1slo3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Prowler nose? I like it!
1slo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2014, 02:30 PM   #38
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

I Like it... Similar to my design thoughts for mine... Cep't mine will be topless and Will also have a Prowler-fied rear end as well... My Headlight design will be kept secret though... until I have it under construction... Then I will share. The Hood on the renderings is VERY nearly exactly what i was planning... A little more Pointy though.

I like the direction you're moving...
SCOTTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #39
v8bugrod
Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't really going for a "Prowler" look, it just sort of ended up that way. The open wheel IFS and split bumper are just going to leave that impression. I am toying with some ideas that get away from the split bumper, trying different generations and variants of beetle bumpers. But I really like how everything is looking from the headlights back.
Old October 25th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #40
V8Transporter
Forum Member

How 'bout a set of 'traditional' looking nerf bars, maybe with frenched turn signals? The design is beaucoup cool.
V8Transporter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:26 AM   #41
metalmaster1766
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I'm liking it

Mirrors can be tough, what looks good, is tough to see out off, I need to finish a set I started years ago, if I can find them

Ron

RSS
metalmaster1766 is offline   Reply With Quote