Total Online: 533

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old January 5th, 2015, 12:46 PM   #1
DrHax
Forum Member

Default Been acquiring welding supplies.

Well i've not been as active as I was due to life taking a bit of hold. Between work and me going to be going into schooling. Failing my drivers test two times (Second time was a bit of bullshit Fucker in a 2008 black surburban flew through the intersection causing the instructor to scream stop! Automatic fail!)

Well I got a mig welder a lincoln weld pak for 213.50 total price on ebay... Until the seller this morning canceled the bleedin' order. After canceling my payment through paypal directly I sighed and looked at the other items I purchased on a whim.

Out of the major things I purchased on my long school based shopping spree a few were just because they're cool. A 1940's welding helmet with a gold lens for 17.50

A 1949 welding book for 10 bucks. it covers only oxy and arc but the information in it should be interesting. Theres some things that got lost over the decades.

Also I collect antique books.. So just having that in my collection is kind've neat! Also it just looks cool.

Now heres the thing I bought on a whim after seeing it pop up on doing some research on it. I got it mainly for a backup piece and to add more functionality to my Lincoln tombstone.

Yeah its a arc stitch welder. Got it for cheap. Viewed it as a backup piece. but after having my mig welder pulled out from under me.. I'm not regretting getting this. It says it can weld up to 20ga sheetmetal. It's a bit interesting. And I'm curious about it. I'm still gonna be looking for a mig welder.. just wanted to share the new toys I got.

Also another cool thing I got is they make autodarkening lenses for 4 1/2 by 2 welding helmets. So I got one for another helmet I got. It's going to be interesting seeing how these things are.

Mainly the arc stitch welder. Not sure how well it's gonna work, but i'm highly curious and 1/16 and 5/64 arc rods are cheap so it should be an interesting back up option.Also I have the 1966 to practice on

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Loren in MN
Forum Member

Default Re: Been acquiring welding supplies.

Have a vintage 110 volt stick welder I've never used in the shop. It has a metal red box with a similar rod holder as you have. Good luck in school!
Loren in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #3
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren in MN View Post
Have a vintage 110 volt stick welder I've never used in the shop. It has a metal red box with a similar rod holder as you have. Good luck in school!
Yeah going into welding is a much.. wiser investment then college. If I can land a job I'd start off debt free. Should make things easier in the long run.

Old January 5th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #4
bigguy
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

798 welders union. You willbe debt free in less then 4 months once you break out with your own welding rig.
Old January 6th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #5
DrHax
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy View Post
798 welders union. You willbe debt free in less then 4 months once you break out with your own welding rig.
I'll look into that. The interesting thing is apparently my program does placement. they had 100% placement with the last batch of students.. and the wages start at a min of 20 dollars an hour! So if I can land that.. it'd be a living wage. My class is going to cost me and my family 3500, but thats it maybe 4K with all of the supplies and other costs. but still. that's a better deal then going to a 4 year college and forking out 80k and 4 years of my life.

My fiancee however is going into animation.. her school costs 120,000 for 4 years but she's gotten a 60k scholarship from the school due to academics and portfilio work. She hasn't even applied for FAFSA yet. So yeah.. I'm telling her if she plays her cards right she can go for a free ride. Since she's a female, from a lower income family that's divorced and her mom is working at walmart! She has the advantage I never had. Even the job corps told me to pound sand since my family makes more then enough income....

I'm lucky my fiancee's stepfather manages a DQ I got my first job through him. Interview while I was helping my fiancee (girlfriend at the time) sand down his truck for her practicing pinstriping. I've been fortunate. My fiancee's family has been helping me more then my family has. I'm glad to have gotten work experience. Even if its being the kitchen bitch at a DQ grill and chill. It's nice working at Minimum wage.. sure as hell makes you want to get out and do more with your life

I'll see how I do in the courses I already got the text books. I got the day off tomorrow so maybe i'll look through the technique book and look up some stuff. I enjoy welding, and metal working. I'd love to get into some fab work of some sort.