Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > The Cutting Board

The Cutting Board Cut... Weld... DRIVE.


User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,564
Threads: 32,386
Posts: 547,511
Total Online: 598

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by RichG
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #401
EVOlyn
Forum Member
 
EVOlyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Greer, South Carolina
Posts: 432
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Well, not to get all sappy, but I've been dealing with some sort of progressive illness that is slowly but surely taking the use of my arms and legs away. Haven't gotten all freaked out yet, but the doctors still have no clue what's going on. A month or so ago I had to concead that I wasn't going to get Evolyn done this summer and unfortunately it may be sometime after that if the doctors don't figure something out.

I thought the motorcycle was a good distraction and something I could drive around for the summer. Kind of rethinking because it's not the easiest thing for me to handle and frankly there are days I just can't drive it becuase I'm affraid I won't be able to hold it up.

Well, enough wining, I still hope to finish Evolyn, just not sure when. I manage a little work on it every now and again when I'm able. Over the 4th I got the brackets made to support the steering column and the hold down for the gas tank fabricated. Even though it killed me, it felt good mentally to do something on the project.

By the way, thanks for asking.
__________________
Harley powered roadster.
EVOlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #402
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member
 
crazyman_stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rodeo, Ca
Posts: 1,194
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

oh bummer man. hope all turns out alright
__________________
FolksLaggin Represent
1986 Ford School Bus
2000 Yamaha V Star
1965/67 V-Bucket:
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11494
crazyman_stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #403
max16v
Forum Member
 
max16v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Palm Desert, California
Posts: 1,196
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

I thought I'd post this here to get some feedback from you v-rodders since I never hear from anyone when I post in my intro.

Well, since I've had my bike running there have been several issues that plague me to how I can correct them.

The first problem is a constant miss at idle. I haven't been able to set the timing right due to the miss and can can't get an accurate reading from the timing marks. I'm not sure if it's ignition or carburetor caused. The miss seems to go away once I'm cruising around.

Also, the second problem is a surge during idle. When the bike is cold, I have to manually give the bike throttle until it warms up or it will stall.

The third problem is cold idling rough but all of a sudden the RPMs will jump up to 2k from 1200 and run fine. After about 5-10 seconds the RPMs will drop back to 1200 and idle will be rough. It does this without any throttle input.

I'm stumped.

Here's a little info on the spark plugs: Cylinders 1-2 look good - light brown-ish, no oil deposits or fouling
Cylinder 3 is pratically clean. There is a little carbon on a corner of the insulator - the direction of the spark but the rest of the plug is clean. I'm thinking a weak spark. I put in new condensers and points. Bad plug wire?
Cylinder 4 gets oil deposits and fouls really easy.

If anyone can offer some advice, I would appreciate it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
To err is human, to forgive is not my policy.
'56 Royal Enfield Super Meteor -The NorField
'69 T1 "Das Straßenzerstörer"
'86 Scirocco 16vT
max16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #404
V8Transporter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern CA, near the Russian River.
Posts: 5,738
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Sounds like the carbs still aren't up to snuff. I rebuilt the carbs on my `82 Seca last spring (52 k miles since new, and I'm the first and only owner). I had `em off three times (oh, joy...) before I got them straightened out; and the bike ran, but lacked power and had some idling issues prior to pulling them down. Check the float levels and make sure the needles are really seating (my number three decided not to seat and kept flooding and bringing up the idle to about 25 hundred). Check the pilot jets for clogging. Make sure the throttle plates are all opening and closing at the same time. Touch the pipes when the bike is running and look for a cold pipe, which will tell you that that cylinder is not running. Check compression. Shoot the rubber mainfolds with WD-40 when the bike is running and if the idle drops you have a vacuum leak. If wiggling the carbs while the bike is running changes idle speed, etc, it's likely the manifolds. A small amount of gasget sealer can really help here (at the manifold to head, and a tiny bit on the carb flanges when you slide them into the manifolds//makes then easier to install). When the Seca was finally going good, I dropped some gas treatment in the tank for luck. Oh. and make sure the tank is clean. It doesn't take much to clog the carbs up. All this is a pain, but once the bike is running well, you can give yourself a pat on the back for sticking with it. A lot o bikes get `For Sale Cheap' signs at this point. For some reason the site won't let me and probably others from responding to intros...but it's probably just me.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #405
V8Transporter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern CA, near the Russian River.
Posts: 5,738
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Hey EVOlyn, I live in a woodsy area and a few years back one of my neighbors had something like that and it was from a tick bite. Once the docs figured it out it took him months to recover, but he got through it. At the time he was in his seventies and he's still around. Good luck my friend.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:27 PM   #406
max16v
Forum Member
 
max16v's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Palm Desert, California
Posts: 1,196
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Sounds like the carbs still aren't up to snuff. I rebuilt the carbs on my `82 Seca last spring (52 k miles since new, and I'm the first and only owner). I had `em off three times (oh, joy...) before I got them straightened out; and the bike ran, but lacked power and had some idling issues prior to pulling them down. Check the float levels and make sure the needles are really seating (my number three decided not to seat and kept flooding and bringing up the idle to about 25 hundred). Check the pilot jets for clogging. Make sure the throttle plates are all opening and closing at the same time. Touch the pipes when the bike is running and look for a cold pipe, which will tell you that that cylinder is not running. Check compression. Shoot the rubber mainfolds with WD-40 when the bike is running and if the idle drops you have a vacuum leak. If wiggling the carbs while the bike is running changes idle speed, etc, it's likely the manifolds. A small amount of gasget sealer can really help here (at the manifold to head, and a tiny bit on the carb flanges when you slide them into the manifolds//makes then easier to install). When the Seca was finally going good, I dropped some gas treatment in the tank for luck. Oh. and make sure the tank is clean. It doesn't take much to clog the carbs up. All this is a pain, but once the bike is running well, you can give yourself a pat on the back for sticking with it. A lot o bikes get `For Sale Cheap' signs at this point. For some reason the site won't let me and probably others from responding to intros...but it's probably just me.
I appreciate the reply.

I had a MAJOR manifold leak but fixed that by boiling the boots in the wintergreen oil and water mix for a couple hours. Also I installed new (aftermarket) worm drive hose clamps which seals the carbs pretty well. All the exhaust pipes are running hot - had that issue before with the clogged idle jets, and fixed that by cleaning the tank, petcock screen, and installing inline fuel filters. When I rebuilt the carburetors I set the float height and installed all new idle jets, main jets, jet needle,s and fuel inlet needles. I know the mixture screws still need a little adjustment - #2&3 spark plugs are a bitch to pull out to check them. The timing still needs setting. I'm thinking an ignition fault with the clean spark plug (has hot exhaust but weak spark...) and probably the miss.

I'll pull the idle jets and give them another cleaning tomorrow.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
To err is human, to forgive is not my policy.
'56 Royal Enfield Super Meteor -The NorField
'69 T1 "Das Straßenzerstörer"
'86 Scirocco 16vT
max16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #407
road_dog
Forum Member
 
road_dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northeast Texas
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOlyn View Post
Well, not to get all sappy, but I've been dealing with some sort of progressive illness that is slowly but surely taking the use of my arms and legs away. Haven't gotten all freaked out yet, but the doctors still have no clue what's going on. A month or so ago I had to concead that I wasn't going to get Evolyn done this summer and unfortunately it may be sometime after that if the doctors don't figure something out.

I thought the motorcycle was a good distraction and something I could drive around for the summer. Kind of rethinking because it's not the easiest thing for me to handle and frankly there are days I just can't drive it becuase I'm affraid I won't be able to hold it up.

Well, enough wining, I still hope to finish Evolyn, just not sure when. I manage a little work on it every now and again when I'm able. Over the 4th I got the brackets made to support the steering column and the hold down for the gas tank fabricated. Even though it killed me, it felt good mentally to do something on the project.

By the way, thanks for asking.
Yea...Tell your Dr. to check you for Lime Dieases (How ever you spell it!).

Had a freiend that got ot and Damn Near Died! Couldn't walk, hold his kids, Feed him Self....all that Shit!

It's been almost Six years and he is better, but not back to the same. He doesn't have to usse crutches any more, but he still walks easy.
road_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #408
BRUISER
Forum Member
 
BRUISER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 17
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

figured some you may like the last bike i built..

started life as a 1995 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan cruiser.. knickname = BUBF(Butt Ugly But Fast)



__________________
Ken C
www.impaks.com
BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #409
BRUISER
Forum Member
 
BRUISER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 17
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

more pics





__________________
Ken C
www.impaks.com
BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #410
BRUISER
Forum Member
 
BRUISER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 17
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

more





__________________
Ken C
www.impaks.com
BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #411
BRUISER
Forum Member
 
BRUISER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 17
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

more




__________________
Ken C
www.impaks.com
BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #412
BRUISER
Forum Member
 
BRUISER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 17
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

then i decided to repaint it







__________________
Ken C
www.impaks.com
BRUISER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #413
Mikelrome
Forum Member
 
Mikelrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AmrilloTexas
Posts: 3,859
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Nice job. I liked it better all black.
__________________
Hot dogs are good !
"That thing's gona look nice when he's done"
"It is done, Thats how them people like them"

Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #414
V8Transporter
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern CA, near the Russian River.
Posts: 5,738
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Wow! From daylight between the rear tire and fender, to reeaally low. I like what you did with the rear fender and hidden light..nice touch. Great looking bike, and you won't find yourself parking next one just like it.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #415
road_dog
Forum Member
 
road_dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Northeast Texas
Posts: 1,257
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Very Nice Scoot!
road_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #416
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member
 
crazyman_stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rodeo, Ca
Posts: 1,194
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

hey bruiser lets make a club that specializes in customizing ugly ass kawa into customs. haha
nice improvements!
__________________
FolksLaggin Represent
1986 Ford School Bus
2000 Yamaha V Star
1965/67 V-Bucket:
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11494
crazyman_stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #417
bugdust
Forum Member
 
bugdust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Middleburg, FL USA
Posts: 8,812
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

I was at a guys house today that has a garage full of BMWs and Moto Guzzis. He probably has 25 bikes easily...most of them very nice. He told me I could have the BMW with sidecar, 400 miles for $6k
__________________
my photobucket page

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #418
ThrasherBill
Forum Member
 
ThrasherBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burnaby, B.C. Canada eh
Posts: 5,479
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Got the tail light mounted and removed the fender and stock light this weekend.
Next step (hopefully in the next 2 weeks) is the seat cover and then paint.


__________________
ThrasheR

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:02 PM   #419
Mikelrome
Forum Member
 
Mikelrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AmrilloTexas
Posts: 3,859
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Bill, any chance your going to move all the letric into the tail for that clean look?
__________________
Hot dogs are good !
"That thing's gona look nice when he's done"
"It is done, Thats how them people like them"

Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #420
ThrasherBill
Forum Member
 
ThrasherBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burnaby, B.C. Canada eh
Posts: 5,479
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelrome View Post
Bill, any chance your going to move all the letric into the tail for that clean look?

I'd like to but me and wiring don't get along so I think that's more than I want to get into. If I end up tearing the engine down over the winter I might think about it then. Right now the bike is my only transportation so I don't want to take a bunch of stuff apart and then have problems where I can't get it back together right away.
__________________
ThrasheR

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #421
Mikelrome
Forum Member
 
Mikelrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AmrilloTexas
Posts: 3,859
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

That thing is looking great, Nice work!
__________________
Hot dogs are good !
"That thing's gona look nice when he's done"
"It is done, Thats how them people like them"

Mikelrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 06:26 AM   #422
crazyman_stanley
Forum Member
 
crazyman_stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Rodeo, Ca
Posts: 1,194
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

comin along nice bill. It looks like your bike might be the same as mine. Mines a 79 650. How much get-to-gettin does it got? Any balls at all? Did you rebuild your carbs? Whats the milage?
__________________
FolksLaggin Represent
1986 Ford School Bus
2000 Yamaha V Star
1965/67 V-Bucket:
http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11494
crazyman_stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #423
ThrasherBill
Forum Member
 
ThrasherBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Burnaby, B.C. Canada eh
Posts: 5,479
Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

It started out as a 78 KZ650SR. Some previous owner stuffed an 81 KZ750 in it with a 4-1 Kerker exhaust and Mikuni carbs. It really needs to be jetted down a bit, it bogs out in the top end. It's pretty quick off the get go but the only thing I have to compare it to is my buddy's ZX11 so it seems a little slow.
__________________
ThrasheR

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #424
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut
 
jaransonT3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 3,304
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

I have one of these (Honda Trail 90) in the garage that needs some work...



and I have not been able to get the idea of doing this to it out of my head...



What do you all think?
__________________
Later,
John Jaranson
'66 Square (Sophy)
'69 Square (Panel wanna-be)
'70/'71 Fasty (Jane - the Lead Sled project)

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion

Last edited by jaransonT3; July 15th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
jaransonT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #425
mkparker
Forum Member
 
mkparker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sherman, TX
Posts: 5,914
Default Re: Motorcycle Thread

It's cool, but a lot of work. Maybe that 90cc in one of these would be better?

__________________
Michael




mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bike, bikes, motorcycle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ALL text, images, graphics and content herein are Copyright ©2002 - 2020 Three Pugs Design - Cut Weld Drive Forums