Members: 17,687
Threads: 32,346
Total Online: 705

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads

Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:51 AM   #1
lancelot link
Forum Member

Just got back , very tired , good to meet you guys that came over and said hello.

I didn't get many pics but heres a couple..

The Roadster pickup is a local guy , Frank , who has built this very much like Butcher/ Hebs Truck. He runs a type 3 engine giving him a bit more room.
lancelot link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:52 AM   #2
lancelot link
Forum Member

The bare metal '51 , undoubtably the star of the show for me , is a car we supplied a beam extension kit for a few months back but I was sworn to secrecy on her until she debuted here.

Its a genuine '51 , Swedish import , chopped 2'' and some great little touches.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 10:53 AM   #3
lancelot link
Forum Member

BEAUTIFUL.....
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:02 AM   #4
31hillard
Forum Member

yes it was a good show,i wasnt very impressed with the volksrod stand,because of no one was on it.the stand with dr gonzo was good though.and i liked the black wizard roadster.
31hillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:06 AM   #5
lancelot link
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 31hillard@Apr 3 2005, 11:02 AM
yes it was a good show,i wasnt very impressed with the volksrod stand,because of no one was on it.the stand with dr gonzo was good though.and i liked the black wizard roadster.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

I was floating around there most of the day , went for some lunch and a look aroung mid dayish , sorted some parts out for my customers about 2-ish , other than that I was about , can't speak for anyone else though....

We had the chopped '64 on the end , I was out the front chatting to a lot of people about it....sorry I missed you.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:21 AM   #6
Top_Fuel_Thomas
Forum Member

that bare metal car is awesome

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UAAAAMMW3pZ...516577902842355

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UAAIA8gWGJh...516575985505324

i stole these pics from http://www.hertsvwclub.org/

should have come, but was working on my car instead.

lancelot your man hasent rung me yet about front end stuff??

cheers,
TFTom
<span style=\'color:orange\'></div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>I'll kill you you sick english FREAK!</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'> alltypesvw</span>
Top_Fuel_Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM   #7
funkypunk89
Forum Member

Good to meet you Gary (even if you didnt/dont realise who i was)

and the others [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]

i was also hanging about the stand for a good few hours here and there.
funkypunk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM   #8
FONZY
Forum Member

WOW! man that split is freakin shweet!
incredible work on the moon tank protruding from the hood like that too...
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM   #9
31hillard
Forum Member

thats ok gary you wouldnt have known me if you was there,i should have had a volkrods shirt on but it didnt come in time for the show,yes the bare metal car was nice,i was talking to martin smith on the gonzo stand for a while he is cool.and we had a word with the insurance there and they said there is no chance of getting insured they said keep as standered as possible.i sea a few people walking round with volksrods shirts on i had a blink 182 shirt if anyone saw me
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:51 AM   #10
funkypunk89
Forum Member

if you saw a young looking monged out hungover dude with one on it was me

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hello.gif[/img]
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:02 PM   #11
31hillard
Forum Member

did you have spiked up fringe.
Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM   #12
wizrod
Forum Member

I finally made it home, after a b1tch of a journey...the fuel pressure problem I had on Saturday morning struck a back and I had to get a tow truck home [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Any way, I reckon that was a great way ro spend the weekend. It was was great to meet up with everyone (sorry I missed you 31hillard)

I spoke to the organizers, and we may be able to get more cars in next year, if we book early, so look out towards the end of the year.......

I have to agree, the baremertal '51 was awsome, as wa Mikes car and the bug pickup, though I really liked the roofless razor egde ghia. The other vlksrod at the other end of the club area was pretty cool, too....

I have some pics here.

Paul

http://www.wizrod.com
wizrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 01:39 PM   #13
vwcalbug
Forum Member

cool, thanks for the pics! -JustinD

Its Cut, Weld, Drive!!!

Current Project: 2017cc w/ aj simms 40x35 heads, web 218, cb super race crank 78mm, cb supercase, 46mm aj simms kadrons, 1.25 rockers, aircooled SLR'd lifters.

Have it built out to the pistons and cylinders, ready for heads
vwcalbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM   #14
Dr.Freakinstien
Forum Member

That ride looked really sweet.The bare metal, tank and those cheap headlights [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] .
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM   #15
jay m
Forum Member

Hey guys, what a top weekend [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]

Cheers for letting me join the show Paul, much appreciated....look forward to seeing your car run with the rebuilt motor, very impressed! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]

Alain........shit the bed you're tall!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] haha

31hillard...that would have been me with the spiked up fringe, apologies if I seemed rude for some reason?!?.....I'm not really much of a people person unless someone speaks to me first.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/unsure.gif[/img]
jay m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #16
Mike Python
Forum Member

The VolksWorld show has been and gone for another year. It's such a busy weekend for us organising the show that we rarely get to see much of what goes on over the weekend but, at 9pm last night, when the halls were finally cleared, we sat down for a break and the general concensus was that it was the best one yet. The sun shone, the numbers were up and once again the quality of the cars was breathtaking.
For me, the high point was seeing the new Inch Pincher replica wheeled in on the Friday. The car is out of this world, closely followed by Mark Bailey's bare metal Split. This car has been put together in literally a matter of days. It's far from finished but had so many neat touches that you just had to come back again and again. It also took the NSRA pick trophy - a new trophy for this year chosen by a "real" hot rodder [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] who came to the show because he was hearing so much about these new VW hot rods!
What's really interesting to me though is how the VW hot rod concept as a whole is evolving. Last year Dr Gonzo was there, albeit unfinished, and there were a few black 'n' flamed Beetles in the club area. This year, a club display outside, Nick's superb fenderless Wizard-based Bug which was fully MoT'd and on the road, numerous black 'n' flamed vehicles, three cars inside the show chosen to showcase the idea, a personal visit from Marty SoCalook Smith, a newsletter, people wearing Volksrods.com and SoCalook t-shirts and a new company dedicated to building VW hot rods.
Two of the cars on display inside (Dr Gonzo included) were built at home for very little outlay and were driven to the show, the third was a professional build by one of the leading VW customising companies in the UK. Simon Emery, head honcho of the Paintbox, who built the bare metal Split was even moved to say "I thought I was almost out of ideas for VWs but building this car has made me want to build another VW for myself." And for me, that's what it's all about.
I doubt many people noticed all the wiork we'd put into Gonzo for the show - I made a whole new interior (300 all in), it had working steering, brakes, a new fuel tank, all the under bonnet area detailed, new wiring, new Melliard pinstriping, wind-up chopped glass one piece windows, a new engine etc. And I know for a fact that few believed we'd driven the car to the show, but that really doesn't matter. The few people that did notice made it all worthwhile and yes, I did drive it there and back, round the M25 and without fenders. My great friend and build buddy Steve has videos and I'll try and work out how to get them on here some time soon.
Like Dave Cormack, I've been battling to get the VW hot rod idea the coverage it deserves and what happened at the VolksWorld show this year was a huge step in the right direction. And 'they' said it was just going to be a passing fad...
Mike Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #17
joedirt
Forum Member

damn sorry i couldnt make it but next year i hope to be rolling along in mine....lets hope the numbers have risen again by next year!!...good job guys and props to everyone making a dent on the scene!!...it really is a breath of fresh air!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:00 AM   #18
freestyler
Forum Member

wicked weekend glad i made the effort, nice to meet you all. sorry to hear you had problems paul, we still have the noise from the front end but it did`nt get any worse so we belted home at 80 all the way even over took a copper. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
freestyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #19
Agrypno
Forum Member

I was there all weekend trading on the Akciddento stand. man, it was an awesome show.
anyhoo on sunday morning i had a look round the volksrods and thought "I want one, right now!" and so begins my epic journey to build a car! i figured that i'm 15 now so i'll plan the project now build it when i'm 16 and drive it when i'm 17....or something like that.....
thanks for the inspiration!
Agrypno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #20
hotrodheb

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Python@Apr 4 2005, 12:40 AM
My great friend and build buddy Steve has videos and I'll try and work out how to get them on here some time soon.
Have your buddy Steve email the videos to our buddy Steve!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:21 AM   #21
vwlilackid
Forum Member

Thanks for all of the positive feedback about the car over the course of the weekend and in the forums today - it really made it all worthwhile to see the smiles and looks of astonishment on people's faces! It was touch and go to get it there, with no panels on the car connected together until 3pm on the Friday, and the only reason Shane stopped welding then was because we ran out of gas! What has really amazed me is the way the whole VW scene has got behind this project from the newer Rod focused guys right through to the long standing resto parts suppliers - too many people to go into it here.

I also cannot thank the guys at Paintbox enough; Simon, Shane, Dean and the Hobbit worked ridiculous hours to get the car to the show.

I can't wait to get it out on the road!

Mark Bailey
vwlilackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #22
funkypunk89
Forum Member

how many of you guys will be at big bang?

we should have greenie there.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #23
freestyler
Forum Member

should be going to bi bang will try and get my mates volks rod down there aswell.
paul did you get that rear view mirror as just found some in the new big boys toys cataloge
freestyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #24
wizrod
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freestyler@Apr 4 2005, 06:05 PM
should be going to bi bang will try and get my mates volks rod down there aswell.
paul did you get that rear view mirror as just found some in the new big boys toys cataloge
No still, looking...I'll check out their website. I found some retracting 3-point 'race' harnesses, though, on the corbeau USA site - I need to see if corbeau UK will sell me a pair, or ilse I'll just order them from the US....(they're 99.95 USD - and I bet they'll be 99.95 GBP over here!!!!)

Paul

http://www.wizrod.com
wizrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:28 PM   #25
57Drag
Forum Member

PaintBox Rocks [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] ...They need to use Marks car in their ads [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wub.gif[/img] As for the show [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek1.gif[/img] Some nice ACVWs on that side of the pond [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] ....Donald
57Drag is offline   Reply With Quote