Members: 17,687
Threads: 32,345
Total Online: 496

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads

Old April 7th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #1
madpballer232
Forum Member

what is the easiets way to route a throttle cable. yes i am prepeared for the newbie jokes and jabs so go ahead and fire away if u have some useful info to go along with it
madpballer232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #2
hotrodheb

Basically, you pull the old one out and shove the new one down the tube next to the throttle pedal. Once you have it pushed all the way in, you need to crawl under the car and feed the end of the cable through the tube that goes through the fan housing and the rear tin. Then it is just reconnecting it to the carb or linkage. PapaSmurf and myself did this in about 2 minutes outside of the Billetproof show last year.

Oh and since I gave you some useful information first, I can hit you with a newbie joke...

Knock, Knock...

Who's there?

Newbie!!!

Okay, so it's not a real funny joke! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #3
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

What's the question? Are you just installing a new one or are you running a new tube in a non stock location? If you are installing a new one in the stock location just feed the cable into the tube in the tunnel beside the pedals until it comes out the back behind the fan shroud. Run it into the tube through the shroud and then go back to the front and hook it on the pedal. Go to the back and pull it tight and attach it to the throttle linkage on the carb. Done. If you are not using the stock tube then I'm no help [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

ThrasheR

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #4
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Damn, Rob types faster than me!

ThrasheR

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #5
madpballer232
Forum Member

thanx alot guys. ive just never done it so i didnt really know what to expect
madpballer232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #6
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I think the only thing easier to repair on a VW is the speedo cable.

ThrasheR

Quote:
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #7
Turd Ferguson
Forum Member

I say this all kidding aside guys...there are plenty of kooky ass situations where a Chilton's or John Muir manual just won't give you the whole answer...but changing the throttle cable is NOT that situation. If you don't already own one (probably both) of these books, drive someone else's NON-air cooled VW to Barnes and Noble and buy them immediately. Without them, you're just guessing or incredibly gifted mechanically speaking. Just because people refer to VW's as being "easy to work on" or the like does not mean that all people were born with the knowledge base to work on them.

I'm not getting down on you in particular MadPB, but these kinds of questions confuse more than irritate me, for your own sake if not everyone elses, go buy those books or you'll end up fucking your own car up in the long run.

If you plain refuse to buy the books, a search on here, shoptalkforums.com, and thesamba.com WILL yield you the results...if it hasn't been discussed any of those three places, it's not on an air-cooled VW. I've wondered if maybe there couldn't be a thread made up completely of questions that people preface with "I know this is a stupid question but..." or "This is a newbie question but..." All that being said, I've asked dumb question just like everybody else.
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #8
dayzwalker
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThrasherBill@Apr 7 2005, 08:08 PM
Damn, Rob types faster than me!
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>

Thats cause he's typing with two hands! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

A Fetivus for the Rest-iv-us

dayzwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #9
p-nor
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@Apr 7 2005, 10:31 PM
I say this all kidding aside guys...there are plenty of kooky ass situations where a Chilton's or John Muir manual just won't give you the whole answer...but changing the throttle cable is NOT that situation. If you don't already own one (probably both) of these books, drive someone else's NON-air cooled VW to Barnes and Noble and buy them immediately.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
i'll agree with the idiot manual but i think chilton and haynes manuals aren't worth the paper they're on. if you only buy one manual get the muir idiot manual. if you're going to buy another, get the bently manual for your specific model. they have TONS of information and unless you have an early car, they're pretty reasonable. in fact, i just got my jc whitney catalog today and even the early type one bentley's are only $55. well worth it if you ask me. think of it as a text book.

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
p-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:17 PM   #10
vwcalbug
Forum Member

i like the idiot manual, and the official service manual....and haynes...those are the main ones i use! -JustinD

Its Cut, Weld, Drive!!!

Current Project: 2017cc w/ aj simms 40x35 heads, web 218, cb super race crank 78mm, cb supercase, 46mm aj simms kadrons, 1.25 rockers, aircooled SLR'd lifters.

Have it built out to the pistons and cylinders, ready for heads
vwcalbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 02:23 PM   #11
alltypesvw
Forum Member

I've sait it before and I'll say it again....

GO TO WWW.ABEBOOKS.COM

only because you can get used copies of the muir idiots guide AND a bentley official manual for like 20.00 TOTAL SHIPPED

the last time I checked the lowest muir was 7.00 plus and the cheapest bentley official was like 5.95 depending on model (just got a dasher manual for 2.95 plus shipping... I don't own one.. but what if I WILL???)

there are multilple haynes, clymer, fix your vw books for a buck too.. just incase you like to collect them (I do!)