Latest Threads
- by Zee
- by horshak

Old September 21st, 2018, 08:52 AM   #1
kustomkreep86
Forum Member

Default Frankie 2.0

Hey everyone,
It's been a while. This thread as you can see in the title is gonna be for Frankie 2.0. Got Frankie running and driving and had some fun with her, but it's time for a change. As much as I love the little bug, I can't shake my hot rod ways. This was kind of my plan form the start, but I had the parts, and had never drivin a bug before so I had to see what it was all about. Here's a rough photoshop idea of what's going to be going on. I was trying to do as much eyeballing as I could as accurately as possible to see what I was working with.Keep in mind my finished product won't have rear fenders. I'm heading into actual volksrod territory now!

I've had a chevy 355 and an 82 s10 chassis lying in wait for a good project and I think this is going to be it. The S10 Chassis is for an extended cab short box, so the frame is way too long. They have a 122" wheel base and my design above is brought down to 100" wheels base. I bought a pair of leaf springs for an early model Jeep Yj to shorten up the back end. I'm going to leave the front spring mount in the stock location. The Jeep springs are 44" long vs the S10 springs which are 54". This will move the axle forward slightly and let me take a lot off the back end. I should be able to keep my shock mounts in the stock location as well.

I'm going with the open engine hot rod look so I will be cutting the front end of the body off but I'm gong to keep some of it and go with a flat firewall. I'm going to try and keep the stock hood hinges in place and make like a mini hood. I want to have a place closed off from the engine and elemnets for my wiring and fuse blocks. This way if I have to do work I can just pop it open and work from the top rather than having to climb under the dash. I'll be finding an old grill shell and rad for up front. Just didn't include that in my design. Just going to work with what I can find or make something.

That's all I have for now. I will keep updating here as I go. Plan is to have it all ready to go for cruising in the spring.
Old September 21st, 2018, 09:23 AM   #2
kustomkreep86
Forum Member

Default Re: Frankie 2.0

I forgot I started to talk about these seats in my last thread, but didn't end up showing the finished product.

Oh and I did get one thing done so far. since I won't have any back fenders I needed some new tail lights. Had some old trailer lights and some old 350 pistons so I put the 2 together.

Old September 21st, 2018, 09:45 AM   #3
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Your new project looks pretty cool. A Street Vee-Rod. Love the tail lights!
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 11:08 AM   #4
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Seat bottoms look very horizontal.
Might work better, angled back a touch.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 05:36 AM   #5
kustomkreep86
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Seat bottoms look very horizontal.
Might work better, angled back a touch.
Yeah, they were a little flat. I'm going to address that when they go back in.
Old September 24th, 2018, 05:52 AM   #6
kustomkreep86
Forum Member

Finally getting back to the fun stuff. Hopefully getting my chassis back in the next couple weeks so I can get going on that. In the meantime, I worked on getting the body cut back off the chassis. If you saw my first thread you know the body got welded down. I bassically have just cut the floor out. I'm going to keep the frame rail/"heater channel" pieces I made and will put my body mounts through them.

I took off the fenders and cut away what was left of the rear apron mounts. I'm going to follow the shape of the deck lid and fill in the back to make it like a trunk. I will also be putting my fuel cell in there.

I also got to work measuring and marking out where the front was going to get cut off at. I stopped it right in front of the hinges. This will let me keep the hinges in place and have a mini hood. I wanted to do this so I could have access to all my wiring under the dash. stopping it here also put my pedal placement pretty close to where it was stock. I also won't need to move my steering wheel location. The front line in the picture is where it will be cut off. I will be making a flat panel from top to bottom where the wheel arch is.

Old September 24th, 2018, 12:14 PM   #7
V8Transporter
Forum Member

So, you're cutting back the sheet metal to eliminate the, um, 'WRENCHEADS Excess?"
Old September 24th, 2018, 02:45 PM   #8
Harold
Forum Member

Love me some Super Rats , did one a long time ago . Was a lot of fun .
Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2018, 07:16 AM   #9
alykat
Site Supporter

Nice work on the seats...and boy are they GREEN !
Old October 1st, 2018, 04:37 AM   #10
kustomkreep86
Forum Member

Back at is this weekend. Scored this 1925 Chevy grill shell for up front. Came with 2 rads, but they are beat. Probably going to end up ordering in something new. Stoked to find this though!

Got to chopping on the front. No going back now! hahaha

My plan was to cut the hood right in front of the hinges so I can still use the mini hood. I'm going to fill in under the dash and use this for access to my wiring and battery. I'm going to use hood locks to make sure it's all nice and secure.

This is a quick rough idea of how I'm going to square off the front of the body. The red squiggly area will be where my engine is sitting and the front wheels will be farther forward.

Old October 1st, 2018, 10:45 AM   #11
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Slick. The curvature of the top of the Chevy radiator looks like an excellent match for the Bug. Should go well with the Chevy engine too. Plus, there's a classic Chevrolet emblem.
Old Yesterday, 05:12 AM   #12
kustomkreep86
Forum Member

Progress has been a little slow, but I got back to it this weekend. Got into some more cutting on the body. Just a few more cuts and it will be free again.

Finally got my chassis back home so I can get going on that. It's a 2004 GMC Sanoma chassis. Regular cab, short box. It has a 108" wheel base so I won't have to cut the middle of the frame for what I'm doing.

Here's my new leaf springs. They are for a Jeep YJ. They are the same width as the Sanoma springs. But they are are 44" eye to eye instead of 57". this will bring my rear end forward a couple inches and lower the car a bit too. I was eyeballing them in the below picture. You can see a bit how much it will shorten the end.

This picture shows how much my new shackle mount will come forward.

This is the new rad I picked up. It's a champion 3 core aluminum rad. Looking like it should do good to keep things cool.

Here it is sitting in my grill shell. Was eye balling it to check the fit.

Got these headlight buckets from Speedway Motors. Really diggin em. I'm going to run the conversion bulb with led lights. Use the little built in amber leds for my signal lights. Have a pretty good idea for headlight brackets. Just need to see how it all works out.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM   #13
Zee
Forum Member

That's awesome! Love the tail lights and how it's looking overall.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote