Total Online: 437

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads

Old January 4th, 2010, 04:44 AM   #1
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums
Question O/T smoking

Yes, we've had other smoking threads but this is different.

I just found this on another board, did a search and it explains alot .
In the last few months, I noticed the smokes tasted weird, they'd go out. Pall Malls. But dorals were still ok, no matter, But the nausea is worse, the metal taste.
So any of you who still smoke, take your pack, roll it around, look for 'FSC' on the pack, some sites say it's on the upc label , but his pall malls it was in the corner with some other numbers.
FSC is an additive to the paper. { from wikipedia =Fire-safe cigarettes (FSC) are special cigarettes designed to extinguish quickly, if ignored, with the intention of preventing unintended fires. They are also less commonly called Fire Standards Compliant (FSC) cigarettes or Reduced Ignition Propensity (RIP) cigarettes.}
It's kin to carpet glue?

Do the search , read up on it. I have had 1 in the past 48hrs, it tasted nasty, made my stomach turn. It explains why in the past 12 mos, I have gone from 15 per day to 3 or 4 and can hardly breath. I was ok while on dorals, but he switched to pall malls cuz they are cheaper, now I know why!

So please, look at your packs!

I think this is the last smoke for me!

I am not posting this to start a political fight about rules and regs, and all the gov bullshit and if it turns to that, I will lock it and leave it as a info to the rest who smoke to check it out for themselves~ Just letting my family know of some other dangers to be aware of.
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #2
carlbugs
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: O/T smoking

Ive noticed the taste change as well, guess I won't notice after a few packs, kind of like switching brands!

Das machine is nicht fur gerfingerpoken und mittengraben!

Is too easy schnappen der springenwerk und blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitzensparken!

Ist nicht fur gerwerken by das dumkopfen das rubbernecken sightseeren!

Keepen der hands in der pockets!

Relaxen und watch all der blinkenlights!
carlbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:59 AM   #3
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

yeah, I heard about that about a year ago.. we noticed at work because when you're outside talking to someone, you don't constantly have the smoke in your mouth and after about 20-30 seconds it seems, it would go out all by itself, really pissed us off actually..

That's on good thing about being out of the country, the smokes in the rest of the world require you to have some personal responsibility :P

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #4
eros8201
Forum Member

The FSC stuff makes them horrible. I was able to get the non-FSC from Virginia for a while but it looks like they have gone to the FSC stuff as well.
eros8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:33 AM   #5
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

[QUOTE=purplemyth;439236

I think this is the last smoke for me![/QUOTE]

You have my support. If you need to vent or blow off steam, give me a call or shot me a message. I know how hard this can be and its better to take it out on someone 1500 miles away then someone in the same room.
Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #6
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Thanks Tim :)
i've been backing off since dec08, fell back during summer 09, but after seeing this? nah, I inhale enough poison without actually buying it to do just that.

It's weird to look at old packs sitting in the trash out in the garage or the wood shop from last year, and not see fsc, explains why sometimes I felt ill and other times not.

Yeah I agree Matt, it goes into the political area I want to stay out of in here. There are sites to fuss at the you know who about it too.
Yeah we cut, grind, weld ,clean, paint and inhale shit too, but we KNOW about that. This was a surprise.

I just wanted to let the rest of the fam know about this crap~
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:11 AM   #7
cdscowboy
Forum Member

So is that in (on?) all cigs now? I've never smoked and never will, but BLEH! That sounds horrible!

Best luck on quitting PM

Build

www.99westcustoms.com
cdscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM   #8
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

It's glue they use to hold the papers together, but from my understanding it's IN the paper now, causes it to self burn out when not puffed on . yeah, it's nasty. Repelling enough for me~
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #9
RichG
Forum Member

Good for you! It's been since September '08 for me...the longer you go the easier it gets, but I still have moments where I really debate having one, I just have the power now to ignore the craving.

A quick note to those who are still smoking: Most chemicals used in the production of cigarettes are not made in this country anymore (WAIT! This isn't a political rant!). A large number of supplies are coming from China and others... these are places that are rapidly becoming famous for contaminated products. Just food for thought.

...one last thing and I promise to shut up. I was told that the smoking conclusively led to the blood clots and edema that crippled me last year...
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #10
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

I am a life long non smoker of tobacco. Never smoked, never even pondered it, still cannot even fathom why anyone has ever wanted to. My wife is a smoker and I can't stand it. She's tried to quit countless times, and actually quit for 3 1/2 years when we had our first child, but smoked throughout her second pregnancy. she has asthma, she coughs, etc, yet she continues. I know it's tough. I quite drinking for a year and have never gone back to to how I did until my daughter was born.

I remember when the gov't mandated the self extinguishing smokes. Yet another case of poorly thought out government regulations that likely carry the unintended consequences.

Please do yourself a favor, the next time one self-extingushes itself, make it the last one you ever light and spend the $7.00 a pack on VW parts from the vendor of your choice to help stimulate the economy rather than your lungs..
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #11
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

on an oddly timed related note... the Turkish officer that shares the office I work in recently went to a Russian ship and tonight at our nightly meeting with the Admiral he came over and handed me a pack of Russian smokes! I can't read anything on the package except the number "20" on a couple of the sides.

It doesn't take much to amuse me, haha, i thought it was cool. Gonna wait until I'm on land to try them though, smoking on the ship means fighting a 5-20knot wind for your smoke, you wind up winning about half, the wind smokes the other half for you :/

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========

Old January 4th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Oregon has had that crap in their smokes for about 2 or 3 years now. They never have tasted the same since. The only smokes that I don't think have that in them are amercian spirits. I used to smoke those before ciggys started going way up in price, When Marbs were $3 a pack A/S were at $4.50. Now that marbs are at 5.30 a pack the spirits are still only 4.50

Looking back at it i started smoking because it was one of those things that was constantly crammed down your throat - don't smoke, don't smoke- everyone else was smoking and I just wanted to see what all the hype was about. that was 10 years ago and I'm wishing I never would have started. I'm down to smoking 2 a day or so from 2 packs, but it has been replaced with smokeless tobacco
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:13 PM   #13
eros8201
Forum Member

Yeah I started when drinking. Mom smokes dad did smoke sister smokes so I guess it was only a matter of time before I got caught. I didn't start smoking until I was like 23 and I still wish I didn't start. Hopefully next winter I will quit, I am not foolish enough to think it will happen during the summer. I have thought about rolling my own smokes with filters, although it is not good for you it has to be better then everything that major companies place in them.
eros8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #14
notched
Forum Member

I'm just curious, from a purely financial stand point, how are you guys even able to afford smoking? I see the prices when I go to a convenience store. And, man, they have gone up like crazy in the last 10 years! A pack of cigarettes is what, $4 to $6, depending what brand you like, where you live, etc.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
You will make a good wife, some day, John.
notched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #15
dt113
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I can remember when cigs were $ .21 a pack -- that was $2.10 a carton. Same cigs are $28.00 now.
Did not know what was going on, that they kept going out.
Yes -- mine has the FSC on them. Guess all of the Pall Malls do now.
Thanks Carlene, for the heads up on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemyth View Post
Yes, we've had other smoking threads but this is different.

I just found this on another board, did a search and it explains alot .
In the last few months, I noticed the smokes tasted weird, they'd go out. Pall Malls. But dorals were still ok, no matter, But the nausea is worse, the metal taste.
So any of you who still smoke, take your pack, roll it around, look for 'FSC' on the pack, some sites say it's on the upc label , but his pall malls it was in the corner with some other numbers.
FSC is an additive to the paper. { from wikipedia =Fire-safe cigarettes (FSC) are special cigarettes designed to extinguish quickly, if ignored, with the intention of preventing unintended fires. They are also less commonly called Fire Standards Compliant (FSC) cigarettes or Reduced Ignition Propensity (RIP) cigarettes.}
It's kin to carpet glue?

Do the search , read up on it. I have had 1 in the past 48hrs, it tasted nasty, made my stomach turn. It explains why in the past 12 mos, I have gone from 15 per day to 3 or 4 and can hardly breath. I was ok while on dorals, but he switched to pall malls cuz they are cheaper, now I know why!

So please, look at your packs!

I think this is the last smoke for me!

I am not posting this to start a political fight about rules and regs, and all the gov bullshit and if it turns to that, I will lock it and leave it as a info to the rest who smoke to check it out for themselves~ Just letting my family know of some other dangers to be aware of.
dt113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #16
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by notched
how are you guys even able to afford smoking?
That's the big reason HE decided to cut down from 2 (for him- 3, when I was) cartons per check, (14days) to 1 pack per day or 2 now. He looks at his bike, it needs $$$$ to order parts he needs, sprocket, tires, chain etc~ I quit just cuz it's interfering with my art, always wanting to stop to have a smoke and yeah the cost.
After he saw this , this morning, he says he'll get something else, and slack off even faster. He has to do it his way, pushing makes it worse, I was that way.
We were worse though 5yrs ago before they skyrocketed in price.
I have a bag of dark chocolate on my desk, when I want one, I just have one of those instead~ at least it's actually good for me~ 7-8 pcs per day~ lol!

You're welcome Tim, this may explain some of your aches lately too!
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #17
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notched View Post
I'm just curious, from a purely financial stand point, how are you guys even able to afford smoking? I see the prices when I go to a convenience store. And, man, they have gone up like crazy in the last 10 years! A pack of cigarettes is what, $4 to $6, depending what brand you like, where you live, etc.
Its sad looking back at it and figuring out how much you spend a year on smokes. Last year I smoked roughly $2200 worth of the cancer sticks. But when you don't smoke seeing that is different than when you do smoke (it sounds stupid i know). You have to look at smoking like an addiction, what it is (either the nicotine or the action), and figure that when you have $50 for gas you start thinking "I can make it on 40 and get a pack". I'm not stealing stereos to pay for smokes but I am stealing from myself basically. When your jonesing for them you find ways to cut corners, and like most people your used to paying for them every day (or so) so you automatically deduct $5 for a pack or $40 for a carton.
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #18
Choppercabra
Forum Member

I have been smoking now since I was around 13. I am now 37. I am trying to quit right now. I had 4 cigarettes today. Hopefully tomorrow I will only have 3. Hopefully 0. I have tried to quit before but started again. For me it is very hard. The physical withdrawls suck. My whole body will ache. Smoking is a terrible habit. Maybe we should start a support group on here... lol. To all that are quitting good luck. I know I am going to need it.
Choppercabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #19
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

My wife smokes those skinny little Capris, like virginia slims but skinnier. $7.75 a pack, and I see an ashtray of half smoked cigarettes all the time. That's over $2800 a year IF she actually only buys only one pack a day, but I see her spending at the convenience store with the debit transactions and it's probably closer to a pack and a half a day.
It amazes me how often you'll see people doing exactly as Ace said. You'll see them buy two cartons of brand name smokes and then count pennies for $5 of gas.

Marlboros are $7.00 most places around here. If I spent $7.00 a day on beer I'd be an alcoholic and she'd probably divorce me, but I'm expected to put up with it.
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #20
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by notched View Post
Up here in Kanuckistan cigs are $7-$12/pack. I quit in November after 24 years of smoking. I've wanted to quit for a while and when I figured out that a brand new motorcycle payment was less than I was spending on cigs per month the decision was easy. I talked to my doc and got a prescription for CHAMPIX and haven't looked back.

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #21
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

yeah and now you have the new bike.

my pop smoked three packs a day. i saw what i did to him and never started, soda pop on the other hand i am a diet Mt. dew fiend. i am the guy at the store with all of the ones on the shelve in my cart when they are on sale...

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #22
ratlook63
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 View Post
If I spent $7.00 a day on beer I'd be an alcoholic and she'd probably divorce me, but I'm expected to put up with it.

Hey,I resemble that remark! Or did when I had a job...

If you make it to beer 6 without cutting anything you need to be doing something else." - MrChainsaw

Wanted:
Split tail lights. Repop ok!
Split dash pods or measurements to make my own. Repop ok!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Band
http://www.myspace.com/safetynautguaranteed
ratlook63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #23
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Box View Post
yeah and now you have the new bike.
Exactly! For me, cigs = $300/month and the bike payment = $240/month so I actually saved $60/month by buying a new bike!

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #24
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

I started about 10 years ago and nowadays I buy my cartons on base. If I remember right, it's $32 for a carton of Marlboro Red 100's..

I normally manage 1 carton per paycheck, sometimes 3 cartons a month, but typically it's about 3/4 of a pack/day. unless I'm hanging out drinking with friends..

I've thought about quitting, but just not ready to yet I guess. I'm still young/stupid enough to have the mentality of pre-destination. If the world wants me to die at 37, then I can do what I want and enjoy life and die of a disease or whatever, or I could stress out, eat right, live healthy and get hit by a bus. either way I'm dead, to me it's about how much I enjoyed the time before I died.

===========

Old January 5th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #25
Texson
Forum Member

I have been off cigs since March 2007 after 37 years of smoking. Best thing I have ever done. I used Chantix and it did work for me. Within a month, I had no desire for them. But the big difference is this... you have to make up your mind that you are going to do it. If your mind is not ready for it, you ain't gonna make it. Be stubborn.

Good luck to all who try. You won't regret it.
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=23618316...31086546925341
Texson is offline   Reply With Quote