Total Online: 537

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads

Old January 4th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #1
escoyne
Forum Member

Question Advise, Help, Some direction
Re:: Rust area!!   

Ok, I'm looking for some advise, help and some direction in repairing the common rust areas on VWs.

I know that these cars are over 30 years and they are going to have rust areas on them. I've been lookinig at Samba and seem that there are several common areas that they rust in.

I'm wondering how hard is it reair/patch these areas. Seems like there are several companys out that make replacement panels, channels, etc. I just dont want to get to the point of having to find another body to "rob peter to pay paul".

Any advise is appreciated

Jason
escoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #2
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Advise, Help, Some direction

Like you said, repair panels are available for most parts.

When you get one, what do you plan to do with it? chop? roadster, truck, fenders, non? Depending on what you are going for, some areas may just be cut out .
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #3
mkparker
Forum Member

My advice is to buy a car with as little rust as possible, especially if you've never dealt with it before. There are a lot of good bodies still around. Just drive over west a bit and pick one out. You may spend a couple of days on the drive, but at least you won't have to jack with rust. It also depends on what your final vision consists of...a restored Bug, Volksrod, Ratrod etc.

mkparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 05:57 AM   #4
escoyne
Forum Member

I'm going to make a rod of some sort.

Seems like I'll have no choice but to head west. I haven't been able to find anything around my area that once I bring to media blasting, they would hand me back my bettle in a plastic bucket.

Is there any areas that there are NO replacement panels?
escoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Blackbomber
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by escoyne View Post
Is there any areas that there are NO replacement panels?
The tunnel. Most will tell you once the tunnel is gone, the pan is worthless. I had mice get into mine, and build a nice soft (absorbent) nest with the padding from the interior. This led to the bottom plate of the tunnel rotting (as well as much of the framehead).

Buying and shipping a dry state car is definatly the way to go. The price of the shipping is much less than what most repairs end up costing. Not to mention in the case of a beetle, the price of the car is less initially, just because good ones exist.

I have a friend who has a shop in Van Nuys who might be willing to go look at some cars, and help facilitate a transaction for a car in the San Fernando Valley area. I don't know his fees, and I do know things are busy for him, but it's going to be better than flying out and inspecting a car in person, for sure. I'll be driving him to JFK on Thursday, and I can ask if he'd be interested.
Blackbomber is offline   Reply With Quote