Latest Threads
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3
- by Bugula
- by f4u5t

Old June 8th, 2017, 08:21 AM   #5826
DrHax
Forum Member

Default Re: What did you do yesterday...

I think you two had some holes chewed into your brain. This whole scheme is hairbrained at best.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #5827
JiI
Forum Member

Location: Mokena, IL Yep, that's me falling down a sand dune in Michigan...
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHax View Post
I think you two had some holes chewed into your brain. This whole scheme is hairbrained at best.

Coming from you, we'll take that as a compliment!
Jeff
JiI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 09:40 AM   #5828
V8Transporter
Forum Member

We prefer to think of our "whole scheme" as thinking outside of the 'ol tool box.
V8Transporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #5829
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

My toolbox consists of 3 broken drill bits, a half empty bottle of aspirin and a dry bottle of powerade. Heading out to sharpen bits in a few minutes...
Jeff
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #5830
V8Transporter
Forum Member

I didn't know that Snap-On made powerade.
Old June 9th, 2017, 03:50 PM   #5831
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Never owned anything by Snap-on. Don't have that kind of money!
Jeff
Old June 9th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #5832
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Well, I have a genuine Snap On 3/8" drive ratchet with a matching 7/16" socket . I found them about twenty years ago at the edge of the road while heading to work.
Old June 9th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #5833
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

I have a WHole BUnch of Snap-on tools... but I mechanic for a living... gotta have decent tools or pay the price in time spent jacking with inferior stuff... I have MAC, I have Craftsman, and I also have some rarely used Harbor Freight items as well... Some Stanley, Proto... you name it. But the Snap-On tools are the best. I paid a fortune for the ones I have. Couldn't live without My Snap-On Ratcheting Screwdrivers... I have MANY of them... and they're only about 50 bucks a pop nowadays... I bought a long time ago and none of mine were that high... but they were in their day.

Mechanickin' for a living gives you a solid reason to buy some things that would otherwise be nonsense purchases. Sometimes you buy them due to the convenience of not having to go shopping for them, when the truck shows up and you have just had it with a crap tool. I spoil myself sometimes too... Not many of you guys are likely sporting the S-Shaped wrenches or Offset open end wrenches for limited access work... No matter where you buy those... You shell out more than you would expect. Garage Sales are a great place to buy good used Snap-On or such tools.
Old June 9th, 2017, 09:48 PM   #5834
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have bought many Snap-on and Mac tools at estate sales and garage sales. Mostly because the people having the sales have no clue how to fix anything . They just buy or replace it , not repair it.
Old June 9th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #5835
DrHax
Forum Member

The beetle was stalling out when at stop signs.. hills, intersections. It was as if the engine wasn't having enough omph to go anything. Prior owner claimed to have issues with the ignition cook which has a grounding strap which goes to the hood latch.

Fixed that and everything is better. Repair was swapping out the screws sanding down the corrosion, and using electrical grease so it doesn't happen again.

Dude...you are sooo fucked!
DrHax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2017, 09:52 AM   #5836
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
I have a WHole BUnch of Snap-on tools... but I mechanic for a living... gotta have decent tools or pay the price in time spent jacking with inferior stuff... I have MAC, I have Craftsman, and I also have some rarely used Harbor Freight items as well... Some Stanley, Proto... you name it. But the Snap-On tools are the best. I paid a fortune for the ones I have. Couldn't live without My Snap-On Ratcheting Screwdrivers... I have MANY of them... and they're only about 50 bucks a pop nowadays... I bought a long time ago and none of mine were that high... but they were in their day.

Mechanickin' for a living gives you a solid reason to buy some things that would otherwise be nonsense purchases. Sometimes you buy them due to the convenience of not having to go shopping for them, when the truck shows up and you have just had it with a crap tool. I spoil myself sometimes too... Not many of you guys are likely sporting the S-Shaped wrenches or Offset open end wrenches for limited access work... No matter where you buy those... You shell out more than you would expect. Garage Sales are a great place to buy good used Snap-On or such tools.

It's true. BUying quality tools for what you do is the best way to go. When I was teaching (I miss it.) I bought this new laptop, totally tricked out, so I could run Photoshop, Corel, AutoCAD and Internet all at the same time. Never got lag from any of them on this thing. Not completely happy with a few things but so far, it's a beast!
Just bought a Lincoln welder and have plans to get some more stuff in the future when the money tree grows back.
Jeff
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:27 PM   #5837
BadAttitude
Forum Member

Slowly working on the 1915 Turbo...I wish I was as rich as the carb dropped a few jet sizes, still rich so now I'm on too adjusting valves and timing, although any of you know what to set timing at by looking at the Dist?
Old June 11th, 2017, 08:35 PM   #5838
JiI
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I can't make a VW engine run further than I can throw one.
Jeff
Old June 11th, 2017, 09:54 PM   #5839
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Which is why I run a V8. As to yesterday, I pulled the Edelbrock carb off the V8 because the truck started running rough, needed the mechanical choke on all the time and I couldn't dial in the right side idle mixture screw. In fact, I could remove it without a change in the idle. A couple of years back I pulled the same carb for the same reason and found the inside looking like someone had left bits of rubber cement everywhere. Yesterday it was the same thing, bits of gummy crap everywhere. so I cleaned it out, blew out all the orifices, put it back on, this time with a pair of fuel filters. She fired right up and went into a smooth idle. Pulling onto the main road I lit up the tires and all is very well.
I'd pumped out a bunch of the gas from the tank and it looked okay. But when I built the 23 gallon mild steel tank back in the mid-89's, I sloshed the inside with a tank sealer to prevent rusting. My theory is that the crappy gas available here is causing the sealer to break down. I have a line on a 15 gallon stainless tank which I'll go with. I also have a brand new ten gallon aftermarket stock tank which with a small mod will fit, but I don't know if the sealer inside will hold up. Any thoughts?
Old June 12th, 2017, 04:57 AM   #5840
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Transporter View Post
Which is why I run a V8. As to yesterday, I pulled the Edelbrock carb off the V8 because the truck started running rough, needed the mechanical choke on all the time and I couldn't dial in the right side idle mixture screw. In fact, I could remove it without a change in the idle. A couple of years back I pulled the same carb for the same reason and found the inside looking like someone had left bits of rubber cement everywhere. Yesterday it was the same thing, bits of gummy crap everywhere. so I cleaned it out, blew out all the orifices, put it back on, this time with a pair of fuel filters. She fired right up and went into a smooth idle. Pulling onto the main road I lit up the tires and all is very well.
I'd pumped out a bunch of the gas from the tank and it looked okay. But when I built the 23 gallon mild steel tank back in the mid-89's, I sloshed the inside with a tank sealer to prevent rusting. My theory is that the crappy gas available here is causing the sealer to break down. I have a line on a 15 gallon stainless tank which I'll go with. I also have a brand new ten gallon aftermarket stock tank which with a small mod will fit, but I don't know if the sealer inside will hold up. Any thoughts?
Man.... I just don't like Tank sealers... I've had nothing but trouble with them and for a variety of reasons... For example: Powder coating Motorcycle tanks is fun until you try and coat one with sealer in it... Major mess... Using stripper on it even adds to the mess.
Old June 13th, 2017, 09:52 AM   #5841
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Repeat but not a repeat. For the past 2 weeks, in between my job, extreme heat, high humidity and rain.
Truck #4, 3rd time this design. Different fender lettering, pinstriping and tailgate.

Getting 'aged' today with wet sanding, and it leaves after 5pm.
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #5842
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Hey Ms. Purp, there's a real art to the 'aged' look and your work is brilliant as always!
Old June 13th, 2017, 01:29 PM   #5843
marnat3
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I second that.
Old June 13th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #5844
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Thanks guys.
Is it just me or are there no pics there?
I put 3 links to photobucket.
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
Old June 13th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #5845
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Figures~ I just tried poasting links in facebook and they don't work, yet pics are still in photobucket I hate technology sometimes~
Old June 13th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #5846
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I was just avoiding the attachment way since half the time it doesn't work either~
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #5847
cretin
Forum Member

I work in industrial maintenance. I need good tools, but sticky fingers like them, too. So it's a delicate balance of good tool vs tool I can afford to lose or have stolen

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
cretin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #5848
SCOTTRODS
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cretin View Post
I work in industrial maintenance. I need good tools, but sticky fingers like them, too. So it's a delicate balance of good tool vs tool I can afford to lose or have stolen

There is that... Good tools are rather attractive to people who don't want to pay for their own stuff... I don't have any issues with that where I work, but I certainly treat mine like there is a problem... Keep 'em secure as possible.
Old June 14th, 2017, 08:49 AM   #5849
V8Transporter
Forum Member

Back when I was taking Auto Tech classes on the GI bill, I was also a TA. After hours we got to use the facility for our own projects. With the Tool Room closed we brought our own. One guy was known for 'borrowing' tools, only returning them if he got caught.
One evening he went out to his car, a pretty nice Camaro sporting American mags. The front wheels were missing and there was a note: "I like the mags, so you can keep my torque wrench." He borrowed a couple of the Chevy wheels from the shop's little 'bone yard' to get home. A couple of nights later at least three guys mentioned that their torque wrenches, a timing light and a few other things had mysteriously returned.
Nope, his mags never showed up.
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:54 AM   #5850
cretin
Forum Member

Risky but genius move

cretin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
what did you do, yesterday