Latest Threads
- by RichG
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old June 9th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #826
Nick
Forum Member

Default Re: O/T computer help desk thread

godaddy as registry but hosted through zzhosting. I'm satisfied with ZZ hosting, for what I'm hosting they do the job well. My gallery's screwed up lately and need to upgrade though, but that maybe because of my lack of maintanence on my part.

I use an average traffic of 14gb transfer per month. I have around 3.4gb total including my massive gallery and some personal stuff.

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:51 AM   #827
Steve White
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcentric View Post
I have two domains (carcentric.com and docnugent.com) and have never heard of fantastico - is it the Mexican blanket of web editors? . . .
Well Mike, Fantastico is a script that allows the webmaster to install quite a large number of the most popular Unix based software packages with the click of mouse button, no knowledge or skill required. It also allows for backing up and restoration of your files and or database with very little skill. Examples of software would be a number of different forums similar to volksrods here, a variety of CMS's like the one I use on www.quintewheels.com, or blog software like wordpress, gallery software and much much more.

The deal with cheap servers is the hidden spec's. CPU utilization is one that they rarely mention until you dig into the user agreement. A lot of cheap servers cap you at 1% or 1.5% of CPU which will result in server errors being spit out if you run a forum or any number of other scripts or if your site gets busy.

carcentric.com is a personal hobby site based on the following
pagerank - 1/10
Alexa - just shy of 4 million
MSN - doesn't list the site at all
Yahoo - has indexed 59 pages and shows 1573 inlinks with 229 backlinks
google - only has one listing that it pulled from Yahoo
no metatags
no robots.txt

your other domain is redirecting to carcentric.com.

Mike I have to tell you I've never seen such low results for a domain as mature as this one. Reg'd in 2001 it should be well ranked by now.

All in all you can use any host you want as you are placing no real demands on the server at all and you are running no scripts or using any databases.

I would personally suggest you have a look at Wordpress. It is perfect for the type of site you are running and it allows you to add or modify content without editing and uploading html. Everything is done right from in your web browser and you can do it from anywhere on any computer that has an internet connection.

If you wish to get y our site noticed by the search engine I'd be happy to give you a hand.

Bottomline is use any of the suggested hosts and you should be happy. If you are interested in experimenting with Wordpress look for a server that supplies Fantastico, 1000's do so it should not be an issue.

ohhhh, let me know if you ever decided to sell the domain carcentric. Aged domains are not that common and the search engines love them once they are setup and indexed.

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Last edited by Steve White; June 10th, 2008 at 07:55 AM.
Steve White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #828
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Thanks, Steve and Nick!

Sounds like godaddy's economy plan (the cheapest one) should work for me.

Yes, both are hobby sites. Being pretty competitive, I flinch a bit at having "such low results for a domain as mature as [carcentric.com]" but I don't really want a "job" running a true business or honchoing a forum. On the other hand, I'm not ready to sell it, either (it's "my baby"). At least I can claim that carcentric.com is "#1 in Google's pageranking!" [Don't bother telling me that 10 is best, I already looked that up . . . .]

If I ever start writing my pop psych book, I'll be using docnugent.com as a platform for that (maybe with a related blog). It'd need to be hosted separately for that (it's just "parked" on carcentric.com now).

Couple of new questions:

1. Is there a way to batch transfer all my files directly from the current host to the new one, or do I need to ftp everything to the new host from my home computer?

2. All htm, jpg, gif, and mp3 files are stuck in a single public_html folder now - what, if anything, would I gain by setting up a separate pix folder when I set up the site on the new host? On my home computer, each project (with its htm and related pix files) is kept in a separate folder, but that means I have duplicate files for any graphic used on more than one project page.

Old June 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #829
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

OK so I finally replaced mt piece of shit Gateway with a new Laptop.(Circuit City in my building closed up. 50% off the open box price on every display item in the store.!!)

What's the easiest way to transfer all of my Outlook bookmarks over to the new laptop? This is the first time I've actually replaced a computer BEFORE it took a shit.

I tried using Yahoo in the past so I didn't have to go through this but it just irritates me. Too busy.
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #830
hogey
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

for transferring bookmarks either a flash drive or just e-mail them to your self.
hogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #831
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogey View Post
for transferring bookmarks either a flash drive or just e-mail them to your self.
Damn, emailing them would take FOREVER. I'll try the flash drive. I can never seem to copy the folder right and then get it into Outlook.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #832
Steve White
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidelbergJohn4.0 View Post
Damn, emailing them would take FOREVER. I'll try the flash drive. I can never seem to copy the folder right and then get it into Outlook.
go to menu item file > import and export and choose to export it as a PST file. You can mail that file or burn it or whatever. Choose import on the other machine and tada.

That works on Outlook, not sure if it works on Outlook Express.

Don't argue with idiots, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:38 PM   #833
Steve White
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcentric View Post
1. Is there a way to batch transfer all my files directly from the current host to the new one, or do I need to ftp everything to the new host from my home computer?
there are programs that will ftp from one server to another but it would be simpler to just copy it from your hard drive to the new server. A slow process if you don't know how to compress files and uncompress them remotely but still quicker then dloading and learning a new program.

Quote:
2. All htm, jpg, gif, and mp3 files are stuck in a single public_html folder now - what, if anything, would I gain by setting up a separate pix folder when I set up the site on the new host? On my home computer, each project (with its htm and related pix files) is kept in a separate folder, but that means I have duplicate files for any graphic used on more than one project page.
It looks better, is easier for you to find stuff and makes it easier to change the design as your site evolves.
The computer don't care. It's all 0000101011110010101011010101010101010101 to it

Old June 14th, 2008, 04:44 PM   #834
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I want to have internet on two (maybe 3) computers and possibly the laptop. I have a small place. I'm thinking a wireless router is the way to go. I'm looking for a recommendation here...brand, model, etc. I'm a total dumbass, somebody tell me what to do. I'd like to keep this under $100.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #835
Nick
Forum Member

Linksys is a good brand to go with, but for the most part a router is a router. Just make sure they all can talk to the router (ie: router is a "G" and PCs should be "G" or older/slower, but not the other way around...router are usually backwards compatible). Meaning if you have a G router with an N wireless adapter on your PC, the router probably won't be able to see it since it's newer technology). 802.11G is the most common one BTW, internet speed is alot slower than G so don't need to go any higher for 99% of the home users out there.

It doesn't really matter how many PCs is connected to the router neither, 3 is fine. When you start getting to ALOT more then going faster maybe an option.

Also if you'll be doing online gaming, there's some routers marketed specifically for that to give you better ping time, etc.

Old June 14th, 2008, 07:40 PM   #836
Steve White
Forum Member

I got my last wireless router for 4 bux cause it had a mail in rebate for just shy of the sale price. Have a look around as there are some wicked deals to be had.

wireless rocks. I got wireless NAS (networked attached storage), scannng, faxing and printing to three printers. It totally kicks ass and I'm lookin forward to getting my TV attached to the network so I can stream video to it. Best part is it is so simple to do these days that skills are pretty much optional.

Old June 14th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #837
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I have no idea what you mean by "G" or older? My pc is a newer (few months old) Dell running Vista, the other pc is a custom-built, 1-1/2 or 2 yrs old max athlon ? running 98SE and the laptop is an older Dell Latitude pentium 4 running xp. It sounds like I shouldn't have a problem. I will go get one tomorrow. Thanks.

Now, if I could have a keyboard in the living room and use the 42" TV as a monitor and leave the pc with the 24" monitor in the den without wires running everywhere and use the big screen and...nevermind.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old June 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #838
Nick
Forum Member

802.11B, 802.11G, 802.11N... they're standards, basically different max connection speeds. Windows version doesn't matter, but combinations can be tricky trying to talk with each other (file sharing), but just internet isn't too hard.

But for the Win98 PC, make sure the wireless adapter you use is 98 compatible, some aren't. I think Microsoft brands are easy for 98's. Would be best to plug a PC directly to the router (LAN cable, not wireless), which ever the most commonly used one is usually but doesn't have to be. Makes it easier to diagnose future issues using that hardwired PC.

Old June 15th, 2008, 12:45 AM   #839
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Gotcha. The plan is to hook the router to the new Dell directly. It is the most used and the "main" computer. Thanks.

Quote:
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM   #840
XISLED
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

here is an easy criteria for asking a comp related question. please provide the following with your question.

1. what os are you running. (windows 95,98,milen,xp,vista) Mac

this helps a lot when i do tech support as it can narrow down the possibility to the answers.

2. Is this a new or existing problem? if new did you change something recently such as adding a piece of software or a new device? if recurring how long has it been going on? do you run all your updates on a regular basis?

3. is this a perphrial problem? router, printer, external drive.etc...

These are the top three i ask when helping folks. Just like our v-dubs a good troubleshooting guide helps. and documentation is key. I reccomend if you are making a change to your system. keep a note pad handy with change and date it was made. if a problem occurs you can start by removing or reinstalling the software or hardare to see if it makes a difference.

All techs have thier own way of doing and handleing things. The answers i see on this site are very helpful. Good Job Guys.

If i can be helpful at any time i also do remote desktops at no charge just because it keeps my mind sharp and i enjoy helping others.

thanks

Roger.
XISLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #841
XISLED
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
OK so I finally replaced mt piece of shit Gateway with a new Laptop.(Circuit City in my building closed up. 50% off the open box price on every display item in the store.!!)

What's the easiest way to transfer all of my Outlook bookmarks over to the new laptop? This is the first time I've actually replaced a computer BEFORE it took a shit.

I tried using Yahoo in the past so I didn't have to go through this but it just irritates me. Too busy.

Hello did your new laptop come with vista? the easy transfer and migration is a good tool to use and fairly straightforward.
you can pick and choose what you want to transfer from one comp to the other? I have done this with the belkin easy transfer cable as well as over the network using a switch..
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:24 AM   #842
HeidelbergJohn4.0
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XISLED View Post
Hello did your new laptop come with vista? the easy transfer and migration is a good tool to use and fairly straightforward.
you can pick and choose what you want to transfer from one comp to the other? I have done this with the belkin easy transfer cable as well as over the network using a switch..

I found that in vista. i got my favoritesd transferred but I still need to get my outlook addresses switched over. I have to get my full office suite installed first. The express version sucks onec you are used to using full outlook at work all day.

Thanks. Is there a way to use the wireless to do that between computers? (Vista and XP). I do have a router.
I don't have any of them set up for file sharing, but it would seem like it should be possible.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM   #843
XISLED
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
The express version sucks onec you are used to using full outlook at work all day.

Thanks. Is there a way to use the wireless to do that between computers? (Vista and XP). I do have a router.
I don't have any of them set up for file sharing, but it would seem like it should be possible.

Vista ans Xp dont play well together when trying to networkthem and getting them to see each other on the network.

here is the microsoft knowledgebase article though on how to back up outlook express. i hope this helps you out.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

Xisled
XISLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #844
Steve White
Forum Member

Personally I'd kill Vista. It's hard to imagine the performance hit you take with it. In almost 20 years as a tech I've never seen anything strangle performance like it cept maybe OS/2 Warp but at least Warp gave something back in return. I know, if ur not techy it is easier said then done. I suppose you can live with it for a while and see if you like it.

Old June 17th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #845
road_dog
Forum Member

I love XP.........My new Dall Lappy has Vista and my son put it on our desktop last x-mas.

I hate Vista......I wish all my Shite had XP.

It's what I know!
road_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #846
Nick
Forum Member

I like Vista, except that it's a HOG. Why is it necessary to make it such a system hog. And on top of that I need a minimum of 30gb set aside just for the system files when before I set less than 1/3 of that space aside. In the end I do like it better than XP though overall... except for file sharing, I just gave up on that. Some days it works, some days it doesn't.

Old June 17th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #847
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Some days it works, some days it doesn't.

Classic Microsoft.

Good thing they don't build planes,guns,or Nuclear Power Plants.

Reminds me of Lucas.
"Inventor of the Intermittent Switch."

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2008, 04:45 AM   #848
Unkl Ian

Anyone using AVG 8.0.1 ?
The latest Freebie version.

Installed it last night.
Total crap.

And no way to reinstall the earlier version.

Any freebie suggestions ?

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old June 25th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #849
Unkl Ian

OK,just got AVAST 4.8 Home edition.

Seems to work,but it doesn't find Tracking Cookies ?
That was the one thing i liked about AVG.

Too many Tracking Cookies slows the system down too much.

Any suggestions ?

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old June 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #850
Nick
Forum Member

Windows Live OneCare. I was skeptical at first since it's from Microsoft but it's the best anti-spyware program out there, and has a full anti virus as well and other stuff. And free. Microsoft is pretty good with not keeping any info from the users with their programs. It's the ONLY spyware program I tried that completely removed a particular bad one I've had for weeks.

Tags
computer, computer help, computer help desk, pos computer, qwerty