- by RichG
- by 1slo3
- by 1slo3

Old July 14th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #1126
XISLED
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: O/T computer help desk thread

i just asked the wife she was supposed to take it to the po the other day. i will do it myself tomorrow. or you can have all my first borns...

its been tripple digits here in cali the past weekand in the high 90s the past two weeks. makes it hard for me to get out. i do apologise

roger.
Old July 15th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #1127
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by XISLED View Post
i just asked the wife she was supposed to take it to the po the other day. i will do it myself tomorrow. or you can have all my first borns...

its been tripple digits here in cali the past weekand in the high 90s the past two weeks. makes it hard for me to get out. i do apologise

roger.
No worries man, I just haven't heard from you in a while. I've got a first born myself so you can keep all of yours.

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
bugdust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1128
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by XISLED View Post

roger.
Hey man, it's been two more weeks. What's it going to take for you to stop holding my hard drive hostage? I've offered to send you money. I've asked for it back multiple times. What's it going to take?

Quote:
No pics, but oh well, if you really, really need to see metal removed, turn off your computer and work on your car... ~ Ray-Dean
Old July 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #1129
XISLED
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

check your email boss. its on its way.
Old September 9th, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1130
grumpy
Mr. Asshole Moderator

i am a sys admin for a const mgmt firm

from yesterday

user - I am getting an error when I send an email, it bounces back

me - are you using the correct email address

user - yes, i will forward you the error.

I get it and see the problem

www.sbradshaw@****.com

me - i see the problem, the email address is not right.

user - ya, when you figure this one out call me

me - i see the problem

user - ya no rush

me - shit, listen to the words i am saying **pause** i see the problem.

user - and?

me - its not the right email address, there is no "www" in front of any email address.

user - OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH, ok, we will figure it out

me - huh? nothing to figure out, its the wrong address

user - ok, thanks i will call if it still does not work

me - **hangs up**
Old September 28th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #1131
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

got an email from the USPS, looked fucking legit... looked.... opened it, auto DLed the attchment when I opened it and bam, I have a new "anti-virus" program
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU

Last edited by Ace of Shades; September 28th, 2010 at 06:58 PM.
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #1132
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of Shades View Post
got an email from the USPS, looked fucking legit... looked.... opened it, auto DLed the attchment when I opened it and bam, I have a new "anti-virus" program
hindsight can be a PITA... but when you get a new e-mail, ALWAYS disable "auto-download/auto-run".

also, for new computers or re-installing the OS, ALWAYS disable "Auto-run" for usb drives and/or CD/DVDs..

sucks about your download.. keep your regular virus scanner up to date and you should be alright. most stuff get's identified pretty easily these days..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========
Feel free to stare and admire,
but kindly tell me if it's on fire!

1972 VolksRod "Effigy" Build Thread
1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 Work Thread
tattooed_pariah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #1133
Ace of Shades
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattooed_pariah View Post
hindsight can be a PITA... but when you get a new e-mail, ALWAYS disable "auto-download/auto-run".

also, for new computers or re-installing the OS, ALWAYS disable "Auto-run" for usb drives and/or CD/DVDs..

sucks about your download.. keep your regular virus scanner up to date and you should be alright. most stuff get's identified pretty easily these days..
My main computer is now the proud owner of "security tool" anti-virus. That post was the last thing that computer did before it locked up tighter than a frogs ass. The only thing I can do is in safe mode. I have been fighting with it since that post was made and there isn't any end in sight.

The bright side is that I have this computer to work off of and there are a lot of "portable", single file anti-virus/malwear products just for this type of thing. I thought my auto run was off, I guess I thought wrong. At least I don't really have to work tomorrow so it looks like its going to be a long night of trying to fix this. The greatest thing in the world is, I got windows vista already on the computer when I bought it, and they don't give you a operating disk when you get it pre-loaded I might just be going back to ubuntu and hope there wasn't shit on the HD I needed and didn't have backed up

[edit]

I *think* I have it taken care of thanks to the page here
I found it in a shop in Raton New Mexico. I bought it for a quarter. Cracked me up it was called a Gay Camper. It must be old as hell. They would pull that shit off the shelf now days. Because some Homo would get offended.
If you don't chew big red then FUCK YOU

Last edited by Ace of Shades; September 28th, 2010 at 11:19 PM.
Ace of Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #1134
Unkl Ian
Trouble Maker and Bad Influence

You might be able to use a Restore Point, to put the computer back the way it was.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #1135
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

yeha, restore points can help, but I always forget to set em, so my most current restore point is normally like 5 months old...

I've never used anything beyond XP Pro, but in that OS, if you can get into safemode, you might be able to pull up the registry editor and stop things from running at startup.. sometimes you can stop the maliscious program from running during start and then boot normally and remove it..

there's also another random virus running around facebook, when you get it, it send a mass message out to all your friends with a link to some blog site.. Luckily I don't care enough about what some friends send so I didn't click it, but the person who sent it is a mutual friend with my girl and she infected her computer at work. lucky for her, there was someone there who spent about 2 hours cleaning all the crap off the system so her boss never found out..

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.
===========

Old October 18th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #1136
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

just got this one, I'd like to know how when I have not 1 single f***ing card
Quote:
Originally Posted by from Comala credit Union
We recorded a payment request from ''www.HostGator.com'' to enable the charge of $4.95/month on your account.

Because the order was made from an European internet address, we put an Exception Payment on transaction id #PO008331 motivated by our Geographical Tracking System.

THE PAYMENT IS PENDING FOR THE MOMENT.

If you made this transaction or if you just authorize this payment, please ignore or remove this email message. The transaction will be shown on your monthly statement as "Web Hosting - www.HostGator.com".

If you didn't make this payment and would like to decline the $4.95 billing to your card, please download attachment file and complete the form to cancel the payment.

NOTE: Because email is not a secure form of communication, please do not reply to this email.
Only 2 sites have this email. I am not opening the attached file either. F888ing spammers.........
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2010, 05:20 AM   #1137
RichG
Forum Member

Uh, why would you have to download a form to deny the charge anyhow??? No bank that I know of would require you to download anything to be sent back to them, they would have you do everything on their secured server... sneaky scammers
Old October 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1138
Unkl Ian

Thumbs up Re: O/T computer help desk thread

If anyone doesn't have Malwarebytes, you need it.

Saved my ass yesterday.

Thanks for the recommendation.

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1139
Unkl Ian

Thumbs up Re: O/T computer help desk thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
If anyone doesn't have Malwarebytes, you need it.

Saved my ass yesterday.

Thanks for the recommendation.

And it's FREE !!!

www.FlyingEyeballs.net

Old October 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM   #1140
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

I update it and let it run just about every week, just cuz :)
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
Old October 29th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1141
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

I hate redirect bugs

It was a bug Matt, but It didn't hit me until I hit a yahoo answers link.
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #1142
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemyth View Post
I hate redirect bugs

It was a bug Matt, but It didn't hit me until I hit a yahoo answers link.
so was it something that my account actually sent? or that your browser made you computer think was coming from my account?

===========

Old October 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #1143
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

no, what ever that thing was that was talking to me this morning thru your acct in IM. I still have the conversation. But I think it stayed still until I hit a yahoo answers link in a search, and right then every search was a redirect, firefox and IE, both. Scanners knocked out 9 bad files immediately, 5trojans, 2 something or others bad code key and another hijack rediect. After the scanners killed them, I had to restart, THEN I lost all my proxy settings, and had to call support to get those reset,,, f***ing bugs~ but all good now~
Old October 29th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1144
tattooed_pariah
Site Supporter

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemyth View Post
no, what ever that thing was that was talking to me this morning thru your acct in IM. I still have the conversation. But I think it stayed still until I hit a yahoo answers link in a search, and right then every search was a redirect, firefox and IE, both. Scanners knocked out 9 bad files immediately, 5trojans, 2 something or others bad code key and another hijack rediect. After the scanners killed them, I had to restart, THEN I lost all my proxy settings, and had to call support to get those reset,,, f***ing bugs~ but all good now~
that's lame, my computer's clean and it hasn't even been online for the last 3 or 4 days... so someone got a hold of my login info, which is odd because I only normally log in to messanger for about 2 minutes at a time maybe once a month..

but i changed my password, glad I didn't do any permanent damage to your system :(

===========

Old October 29th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #1145
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Nah, not your fault, was mine for even checking the link, figured since I didn't follow it thru, it went dead, guess I know better. But next time if 'they' don't answer my questions they'll get a as I block them then contact by that real person by email instead.
lesson learned so no biggie
Just the rest of ya, beware if what appears to be a contact shows up at an odd time and sends you links to something that you doubt your contact would send you to begin with. :)
Old November 21st, 2010, 07:08 PM   #1146
Ryan
Capt A's super package

i am looking at 2 handheld camcorders for my kid. To give you an idea of how out of date i am... my camcorder uses full size vhs tapes.

I am looking at the kodak mini and the flip ultra hd. staples has both on sale on black friday.

we are also thinking about getting a second one of whatever we get to film our little wedding and honeymoon (the family friendly parts would be sent to family that could not make it)

anyone have any experiance with either of these cameras or have any advice on what to look for?
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2010, 11:21 PM   #1147
tequilla
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crack monkey View Post
.......to film our little wedding and honeymoon (the family friendly parts would be sent to family that could not make it)
Does that mean the not family friendly stuff will get posted here........

Share your cheese....... here kitty, kitty.......
tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM   #1148
Ryan
Capt A's super package

i am a large man.... mix the Saw movies and Telatubbies and you get an idea of the disaster i am. i wouldnt wish that on anyone.
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1149
bugdust
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I could use some electronics advice as well. I would like to buy my wife a camcorder that burns straight to dvd. Any suggestions?

I'm also in the market for a computer for m son, preferably a laptop but a desktop may be all I can afford. He wants a "gaming" computer. The games he plays (wow, etc) work fine on my desktop. My specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ 2.80Ghz
SATA 1.0 tb hard drive
3.0 gb ddr
nvidia GeForce 6150se nForce 430
???

I looked at some of the "gaming" computers and they all seem very expensive. What do I need to look for (minimum)? I get a discount through work for Dell and HP but I may be able to beat that price this weekend.

Quote:
Old November 25th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #1150
RichG
Forum Member

My daughter just bought herself a refurbished Toshiba 17" laptop for under $600 that seems to have some decent hardware in it. I've always had good luck with Toshibas, they're tough and the older ones I've used on the job have held up really well.

Looking at your specs, I think hers are pretty close except for maybe the harddrive size, I think hers is only a 500GB (listen to me, "only"...sheesh!)

Tags
computer, computer help, computer help desk, pos computer, qwerty