Total Online: 831

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by DrHax

Old December 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM   #1151
Hotrodpez
Forum Member

Location: Mission Viejo, Orange County, Kalifornia, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way.

since the body was only bolted to the pan on my 67 by 3 bolts, i decided that now would be a good time to lift off the body. Takin' the pan to my sandblaster after cristmas. Got the body supported up on my scissor lift and after some [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/AssScratch.gif[/img] (hey... thats my smiley) got to the [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Sawzallsmiley.gif[/img] part of this project. did some [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/welderface.gif[/img] too. Still wating for the replacment firewall to fix where the bastard PO cut a big ass hole to get to the starter [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img]
Originally Posted by bugdust
If you can't measure your own floor then this project may be too much for you...just my opinion.
People who say im hard to shop for must not know where to buy beer...

Common parking lot conversation...

Its a volksrod...
Yes, it runs...
Yeah I drive it...
No, I'm not crazy.

Here's to living single, seeing double, and sleeping triple!

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/lukepezanoski
Hotrodpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #1152
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

<span style="color:#993399">re~wrote you vrodders a christmas poem,,, worked some more on the large vw emblems, took teen to store to get hubby's gift(needed an adult id), then took him to work, came home, made a strong drink, watched legally blonde,,, I wouldve hit some people in that movie. Read all the funny replies to night before,,, [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img] I like it when you all seem to be laughing! Steve being top guy here, I think he'd make a great santa,,, besides, he already seems to grant our wishes,and keeps us going....more smilies!!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/FreakinSmiley.gif[/img] </span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> learnt to juggle [/b][/quote]

<span style="color:#993399">Pete, I hope your talking the fun kind..?.. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img] </span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'> looked over my bug-project [/b][/quote]

<span style="color:#993399">Ga~boy, glad to see you still got the project, pics!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] </span>
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #1153
ConductorX
Forum Member

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas..

Today Jerry and I pulled the engine out of the Thing. Big Bug and I built that engine back in May 2003. The date was on the block. We didn't do the bearings or rods. Just installed new pistions, riings, cylinders, heads back then.

We tore the engine down today and #1 rod bearing was melted onto the crank looks like it had no oil. #3 piston was scuffed but the heads and everything else looked good. The Flying Squirrel had a good running engine so I plan to build up that engine for the Thing by transferring the tin and exhaust system.

I also took some comparison photos to compare my '66 to the wife's new '06. Imagine owning 2 of the the same model of car 40 years apart.

That is all for today.

"G"
No one ever says "It's only a game." when his team is winning.
ConductorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #1154
jaransonT3
Type 3 Nut

I pulled my first ever lines with my new Mack 00 pinstriping brush. Had a blast and think I did alright for the first time. Will clean it off tomorrow and try some more.

Here are the results....

'69 Square (Panel wanna-be)
'70/'71 Fasty (Jane - the Lead Sled project)

My Home Page
CarArt by John Jaranson
2010 Type 3 Invasion
jaransonT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #1155
Ian
Forum Member

That looks good.

While it wasn't yesterday...I put down $200 on the SOLID '66 Beetle...for $600 total.

I also found a job delivering car parts...in their car, which'll get me the Beetle first pay check in January.

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/driving.gif[/img]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Punk View Post
it went to a Samba Monkey.
It's all fun and games until the strippers call the cops.

Volksrods.com - Re-engineering the VW Bug one at a time
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 06:02 AM   #1156
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Well, it was Friday, but it was the last day that I was here, so might as well have been yesterday...
So let me know what you think so far.

Old December 27th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #1157
Hebster52
Forum Member

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">WOW!!</span> That is turning out real good!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Sawzallsmiley.gif[/img]

HebsterWerks The secret workshop..
Hebster's projects in the introsection.
Cuttin' them splits up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
"What stripping?... all I see is bare metal!"

Hebster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #1158
Romain
Forum Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img]
Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #1159
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Damn Ray-Dean...

That looks great! Awesome work on the body lines! Keep it up!

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #1160
walt
Forum Member

Outstanding Ray [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #1161
BullDog
Forum Member

Well... got my bug in the shop yesterday. cut into the heater channels to inspect and they are GONE! so I decided to replace the heater channels and firewall. pulled the bumpers, fenders, and actually got the body off the pan today. Tried to order from Wolfsburg but they are closed... hoping its not for the week. Anyone know where else I can get the parts from?

I wasnt sure about the fenderless look... only because it looked so good the way it was. But I am sold now... With a little more rake and the right wheels and tires this thing is gonna be even better.

I will have original bullet fenders for sale as well as a pair of early brazillian rears. 2-3 sets of snow flakes, early headlights... complete, 4 window regulators out of a 66, RHD dash, and misc other little parts. I will get a list together and post in the "Shit for Sale" section. But thought I'd throw it out there to see if there is any interest in any of the bigger items first so I can try to finance the extra work to be done.
Old December 28th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #1162
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

I went to RI. yesterday to my friend Tim Schellers house. He recently added burgandy paint to his black '58 and I helped him put the windshield and driver side windows in. He's in the process of rebuilding the engine, going from a 2276 w/ worked over IDA's to a 2276 with a huge turbo with nitros!! With a 60 shot he is expecting a little over 300hp. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/eek1.gif[/img] This is the same car that won First in Class and Best of Show at Litchfield this year. Kind of makes me wonder what he'll do next year? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
We also installed the whitewall inserts on my front tires for "Skeletal Remains". I need to redo one of them because it wrinkled a bit but that's not a problem. Here's some pics. ...Tim

Turbo Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2006, 03:52 PM   #1163
speedfreak
Forum Member

got my pans all wlede in this weekend! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] That was a feat for a guy learning how to weld! but, they're in and actually welded! then today I was really brave and made a patch panel for the tunnel and got it welded in! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img] I am happier than hell!! I kinow that this may not seem like a big deal to some, but it sure gave me a shot in the arm!

Larry
speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 05:28 AM   #1164
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Well I cut out the lower left corner that was all messed up...

And then I started figuring out where I kept going wrong. I would always get a flat spot in the center of the corned about half way up. So I cut out the hindge end of the door pieces left after making the rear of the cab. Then I welded them in the center of the corner (kind of at a 45 to the side and rear pannles). I then was able to lay the pieces in and...

It will look better after I get it primed. There is to much "flash" for the pic to come out good. That's all for now. I need to go make some money.
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:08 AM   #1165
ConductorX
Forum Member

I've been out sick and the wife had surgery last week. So not much bug stuff happening.

This weekend, I transferred all the tin, dizzy, carb to the flying squirrel motor. I put the motor on my rolling test stand and started it up, set the timing and checked the oil pressure. The engine seems real good and doesn't leak! Hopefully soon I'll get to install the engine in the Thing and get it back on the road.

I also have a video of the engine running. It is a big file so have patience. Click the link then click the movie camera to watch.

Motor Movie
No one ever says "It's only a game." when his team is winning.
ConductorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #1166
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

Sorry I'm a day late with this but on sunday Tom (busguy71) Rob (brokenbeetle66) and Tim from RI came over for a little part swapping action. Rob and Tim brought me some oval doors and a "W" decklid, I passed an engine over to Rob from Dan, and gave Tim a sweet set of oval doors for a project he's doing for a friend. Tom was there just so we could all give him shit [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]
We all piled into the rental minivan, popped "Fight Club" into the DVD player and headed up to Northampton for burgers and beers (except Rob, he had a hotdog and coffee).
Had a great time and can't wait to do it again. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img] ...Tim
Old January 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #1167
BullDog
Forum Member

Well... shes back from blasting. They did a pretty good job. the front end has been hit pretty good. And the original chop is pretty rough. The flash in the pics actually makes them look much better than they are. But its workable. The rag will be cut out and flange the roof to except the lip flush mounted. the oval clip is in crooked, off center, and with a at least a 1" lap all the way around so it sits too high. The oval clip is absolutely pristine... it was a good buy, as clean as it is. the old clip should come out pretty easy and will be available with all the rest to be posted later.

Will be spraying it with epoxy sealer in the next couple days then the heater channels and firewall are first on the list.

Its all pretty rough... but it could have been a lot worse! I didnt know what to expect under all the mud.

Old January 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #1168
Turbo Punk
Forum Member

I think it's been long enough so I pulled my horn button apart and clear coated it. I think I'll pull it apart again in a few weeks and give it a couple more coats just to be safe. It came out real nice. Thanks again Unkl Ian!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/bowdown.gif[/img] ...Tim

Old January 15th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #1169
BullDog
Forum Member

Heater channels are out and will start fitting the replacements tomorrow I hope. Spent most of today getting all the undercoating off the fenderwells. have found more rot here and there that needs to be taken care of then I can start with the por15 and button up this part of the job.

I was gonna take the time to strip the underside... but will probably, just knock off the big loose stuff (undercoating) and respray it.

If I had to do it again... I would have sandblasted the wheel wells... the wire wheel took HOURS! but it'll be worth it in the end. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old January 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #1170
ducktape

removed 9 beams at the vw farm and started pulling parts. getting ready for the smasher.
Old January 16th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #1171
jroymcd
Forum Member

hotrodheb and i almost finished the rust repair under my rear window.

before

cut out the rust

after

jroymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #1172
Zappally
Forum Member

Well sitting at night I decided to make a quick t shirt for our club meet on wednesday, one of my mates has earned the title Queenie, so I kinda borrowed the text from the billetproof t shirt & came up with this after some time in photoshop.

I then put this on the front

But did I think about the heat transfering through to the otherside! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/FreakinSmiley.gif[/img]

WTF I'm still gonna wear it on wednesday at the meeting, as it's my first attempt at making a t shirt I think it has come out ok, only thing is, now I wanna make loads more

Don't think, Accept the mystery, Stay in the moment!

Visit the all new Salvage Sanctuary.

'70 Beetle project 'Excentrifugal Forz'

'91 VW 1.9 Transporter
Zappally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1173
lunatic_magnet
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

i said goodbye to my invader kit car... someone drive 6 hours up from PA to get it. good luck... send pics! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/hello.gif[/img]
volksrods member #39
forget wd-40 and duct tape... i have a sawzall and a welder.
lunatic_magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #1174
69calookrat
Forum Member

got all the parts for the new engine liad out on the dining table pissed of the wife. but the engine will run by fri i hope. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/driving.gif[/img] still got 2 days of work too do.but i will have to do it in one day [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]

ian
Old January 18th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #1175
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

painted my sprintstars
vwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
what did you do, yesterday