Latest Threads
- by Ozrod
- by alykat
- by Bugula
- by Bugula

Old April 5th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #1
ppp
Forum Member

just wondering what the largest choptop could be without having to add a section to the roof. leaning the A and B pillars like that guys a SOCAL did seems to have gotten them 3".(not sure thats enough for my taste) realy curious because my ragtop is getting chopped after the suspension is done. any input welcomed.

thanks...Mark
ppp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #2
lancelot link
Forum Member

If you are looking for more than a 3'' chop then I would say you need to lengthen your roof....why are you so against doing that?
lancelot link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #3
ppp
Forum Member

[attachmentid=4347]not against add section...just looking for ease of construction
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #4
p-nor
Forum Member

a wedge chop with just cutting the a and b pillars will get you down a few inches in the front without any filler metal. i think jon has done it before. it sounded pretty straight forward. only works if you like the wedge look.

or...

if you don't mind raking the posts, or narrowing the body, or shortening the body, or narrowing and shortening the body, i suppose you could chop it as much as you want. all of those above seem like more trouble than just getting a second roof and adding in some filler.

paul

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

http://rocksteadyplumbing.com/
p-nor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:04 PM   #5
cdubvdub
Forum Member

papasmurf diddnt use a any extra filler on the roof im pretty sure. He slanted the pillars
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #6
ppp
Forum Member

i've got the donor already...just not sure where or if i can cut it behind the ragtop and it not look "strange" [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Idunno.gif[/img]
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #7
ppp
Forum Member

just dawned on me...i'm asking the wrong question.

new question:

is it possible to use Walt's narrowing body-choptop-technique without adding the donor piece in front of the B pillar, but instead, adding the donor piece behind the pillar?

the add donor panel would be seamed on the curved part rather than in the traditional location just forward of the B pillar.
Old April 5th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #8
Iowa Mark
Forum Member

My '57 sunroof is chopped 4" in the front and 3" out back in one piece. I cut the roof down the sides of the rear into the engine opening, down the firewall, and rolled the whole works forward. The hard part is leaning all the window and door posts to meet back up. Even raked the quarter posts forward so no extra doors were harmed in the slamming of this oval. The sunroof is still where the factory put it, as is the rear window. If our @#!!*& scanner worked, I'd include pictures. But, I'm a computer dunce. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
Iowa Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:01 PM   #9
Jon
Forum Member

If you cut C pillar just like your drawing and then cut out the A&B pillars and do not cut the firewall, you'll be able to bend the roof down like 4" or maybe more. You will have to bend the windsheild post but you could just add a section to the front only if you don't wanna lean the windshield back.

This will be pretty easy and will give you a consistant curve without as much of the slant. It will also lift the bottom of the decklid up a little if you cut all the way down to where the body lines meet.
If I decide to chop mine thats how I will be doing it. I also have a windeshield section from a oval so with that chopped and sectioned in the windshiled will be even smaller.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:58 AM   #10
Top_Fuel_Thomas
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iowa Mark@Apr 5 2005, 04:58 PM
My '57 sunroof is chopped 4" in the front and 3" out back in one piece. I cut the roof down the sides of the rear into the engine opening, down the firewall, and rolled the whole works forward. The hard part is leaning all the window and door posts to meet back up. Even raked the quarter posts forward so no extra doors were harmed in the slamming of this oval. The sunroof is still where the factory put it, as is the rear window. If our @#!!*& scanner worked, I'd include pictures. But, I'm a computer dunce. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
id like to see those pics, send them to me at

top fuel thomas @ fsmail.net (no spaces)

if you cant post em up

cheers,
TFTom
<span style=\'color:orange\'></div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>I'll kill you you sick english FREAK!</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'> alltypesvw</span>
Top_Fuel_Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #11
Iowa Mark
Forum Member

Sorry, Tom but the scanner isn't working, don't own a digi camera, so no pictures out of me right now. That and I can get all screwed up roaming around on this computer without trying to load anything in. I do a lot better with a welder, out in the barn. Except for the times I set myself on fire. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/Dancing.gif[/img]
Iowa Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #12
PAPA_SMURF
Forum Member

On mine, (old picture above), I cut like 2.5 inches outta the c pillar then slanted it to size, kinda a combo of walts chop and a little slant so I would not get the slant roof look. The result is a very slanted windshield. If you like the look of a slanted windshield you have to solve the problem of moving the window seals to the right angle so you can cut glass to fit. I have plexiglass so its very bendy and I also added a bar in the middle. Similar to a 49 ford. I am now correcting it. I spent 8 hours per A pilar post and it looks like shit. So I am scrapping it so It looks better with the natural windshield rake. Just buy another roof piece, You can usually find the whole car on samba for free if you wait it out long enough, crap it doesnt need registration if your cutting it up for peices so why would you pay for it.

66 schwinn, 04 Jetta
https://www.facebook.com/joe.lynch.739
vwclubofhawaii.ning.com
PAPA_SMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #13
walt
Forum Member

I can chop the roof 16" without adding anything to the roof. But the car would need to be shortened as well as narrowed and the B pillar at the roof will need to be moved back to match the B pillar at the quarter pannel.

God.............. how I want to do that chop.

I'm bilingual.......I talk to men and women

My Volks-Rod
Rat Patrol Web Page
Rat Patrol photos
Rat Patrol Car Build Thread
Rat Patrol Timeline
Rat Patrol Videos
(RIGHT click and choose SAVE TARGET AS and download to your PC)
Movie1
Movie2
walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 10:26 PM   #14
PAPA_SMURF
Forum Member

working on that chop right now, I am actually shortening the roof, cause I took a good 14" outta the quarter panel area.

66 schwinn, 04 Jetta
https://www.facebook.com/joe.lynch.739
vwclubofhawaii.ning.com
PAPA_SMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #15
Top_Fuel_Thomas
Forum Member

Isnt that how griznat did his chop? shortening the body to meet the stock sized whole roof?

check his intro, it ended in a world of shit with the rear suspension and engine loacation if he wanted to run a decklid.

TFTom
<span style=\'color:orange\'></div><table border=\'0\' align=\'center\' width=\'95%\' cellpadding=\'3\' cellspacing=\'1\'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id=\'QUOTE\'>I'll kill you you sick english FREAK!</td></tr></table><div class=\'signature\'> alltypesvw</span>
Top_Fuel_Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #16
hotrodheb
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walt@Apr 6 2005, 09:06 PM
I can chop the roof 16" without adding anything to the roof. But the car would need to be shortened as well as narrowed and the B pillar at the roof will need to be moved back to match the B pillar at the quarter pannel.

God.............. how I want to do that chop.
<div align="right">Quoted post</div>
Are the side windows that tall???

Get a bug from the junkyard and start cutting!
I'll help after I am done with this running shit!!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/funny.gif[/img]

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 06:05 AM   #17
mikeschramm
Forum Member

I chopped a sunroof 15 years ago. I first cut the sunroof section out, cut the roof into sections, chopped it to my likeing, then welded the sunroof back in. I do remember adding like 2" of filler metal behind the sunroof. May not have been the easiest way but it turned out good.
mikeschramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #18
pistolpete76
Pinstriper Extraordinaire

my roof still needs choppin if one of you guys are getting an itch for it again [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
pistolpete76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #19
ppp
Forum Member

guess i could cut thru in front of the ragtop to add the section. i think i've decided on a 4" chop. i think that means about a 1.81" section to be added. maybe taper down to 3" out of the back. what you guys think? Walt...you out there? i value your input.

thanks...Mark