Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by DrHax
- by Bugula

Old December 8th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #1
My3ninos
Forum Member

Default Point me to threads on Scat shifter install/repair? Thanks! Finished

'67 has a Scat shift. Separated and ball joint. I cant for the life of me figure out this simple re-install.
Not having luck using the search feature here so can
anyone who can guide me to an install instruction pdf or a thread with instructions/details etc. ?
greatly appreciated!!!!

*Edit*
Turns out to be the shifter guide bracket broke. The following is my path to learning and fixing the shifter guide.

Last edited by My3ninos; December 14th, 2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: change of topic direction.
My3ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:55 AM   #2
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums
Default Re: Point me to a thread on Scat shifter install/repair

Do you need someone to hold your dick while you piss too?

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #3
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Found on the samba
Quote:
With old shifter, put it in neutral, then remove the old shifter. Set the SCAT shifter in, then get the bolts caught, but don't tighten. Leave them so you can still slide the base.

Shift into SECOND gear, then slide the shifter base as far to the left and to the rear of the car as you can. Tighten the bolts.

Check to make sure you can find all of the gears.

****EDIT*** Scott, that was my initial thought too but for some reason I'm in a good mood. His first 2 posts are his Intro, he's a bike and hot rod guy and this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3ninos View Post

God I hope this forum is f'nin worth it.
in his intro. Figured I'd give him a break and maybe he'll stick around.

a silent neighbor lady watching bremelo seeking canadian pinstriping lurker~

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkl Ian View Post
Don't worry about other people.Most of them don't care about you.
ThrasherBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #4
My3ninos
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott76 View Post
Do you need someone to hold your dick while you piss too?

Depends on how drunk I am or how good looking your mouth is.
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #5
My3ninos
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherBill View Post
Found on the samba

****EDIT*** Scott, that was my initial thought too but for some reason I'm in a good mood. His first 2 posts are his Intro, he's a bike and hot rod guy and this :

Thanks Bill for the response.
To be clear I am NOT a hot rod guy. Havent owned a cage this century and dont plan to. This is your world not mine and I accept that my ?s are weak.
Wont be sticking around once its sold but will turn the new owner to this forum if its helpful.
Old December 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #6
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Quote:

Awesome!

Welcome to the funny farm Rob, even if it is only temporary. If I didn't live in the Great Wet North I'd be strictly 2 wheels too (but I still have a soft spot for these damned old VW's). Check out our Motorcycle Thread if you get a chance, there are a few good builds/projects going on here.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Quote:
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #7
tequilla
Forum Member

Quote:
Found on the samba

My Initial thought was...... Hey Tommy Chong....... Step away from the bong and you'll figure it out

Seriously if you stick around long enough you will find out what a great place this is whether you currently have a VW or not. Who knows...... when the VW is gone you might just miss it enough to want to get another one....... I just bought my first Harley...... This place covers everything and there's room for everybody....... Except Ass Holes

Share your cheese....... here kitty, kitty.......

Last edited by tequilla; December 8th, 2010 at 10:31 AM.
tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #8
Scott76
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

I was going to say Bill was in a good mood today. Now I understand the bikers have to stick together.

If you stick around or not you should learn how to search stuff. We try to cover everything here, but if its not here, there are other sites to search too. Learn those also. Just don't post stupid ass questions and hope the answers are handed to you. Trial & error are some ways to learn. Give it a try, you might learn something. If not sell the freakin car and buy one already done. If you can't fix a VW then just give up and stick with paper airplanes.

Fleetwing Camper

Going to the Basement
Scott76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #9
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Scott, he only got the car as part of a debt payment and is only putting it back together enough to sell it. He's not into or looking to get into VW's he is just looking for some help. I know how things work here but I don't see any harm in helping him out. Like he stated, if he can find what he needs here he will pass the site on to the eventual new owner of the car.

Rob, everyone gets some shit from everyone else here, it's just the way it works. Those that can take it and give some back generally stick around and find what they are looking for.

Quote:
Old December 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #10
My3ninos
Forum Member

Thrasher
Dont mind me I can take the shit. Every forum has its token share of fucktards who lay in wait of the fng. Scotty boy didnt read my intro, doesnt know my intent with the car, and could care less about reading all my post. To him every post I make will be stupid. Its in his mindset.
I had already attempted some lame ass searches here, on Samba, and on AirCoolers forum.
What you give was great for final install and ajustment of the shifter. Bookmarked. But I now see there is shit broken in the tunnel, collars, guides, all kinds of crap. Whole diff problem than what I asked about.
Thanks for that lead but if I am in the wrong damn place just run me along. I do that to the unwanted fngs in two of my bike forums. Those who give shit right back at the cannibals are easier just to pass off elsewhere, because I will indeed have some "stupid" questions. Thanks for the consideration.
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #11
AirheadZim
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

Anybody who builds their own shit, can dish it out as well as take it, and has enough spirit to grow hair like you Rob, is A-OK in my fuckin' book. You oughta hang around even when that build is done, just to piss off the volksrod purists!!!
Zim'rod (zim'-rod)n.- a handbuilt Volkswagen hotrod or jalopy, sometimes a pick-up, from several different years of the classic German automobile. In particular, 67', 69', 72', and 74' model years. Built from the realm of an insane mind, with a volksrod theme or style. Thank you bugdust.
Daily driver: 91' Cadillac Brougham.
AirheadZim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
This guy's alright... I think he'll fit in just fine around here.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #13
Choppercabra
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott76 View Post
I was going to say Bill was in a good mood today. Now I understand the bikers have to stick together.

If you stick around or not you should learn how to search stuff. We try to cover everything here, but if its not here, there are other sites to search too. Learn those also. Just don't post stupid ass questions and hope the answers are handed to you. Trial & error are some ways to learn. Give it a try, you might learn something. If not sell the freakin car and buy one already done. If you can't fix a VW then just give up and stick with paper airplanes.
To bad the search function sucks ass.
Choppercabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #14
vwfanatic
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

and scott sucks ass
vwfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Steve
Administradora El Polacko

Member Photo Albums

Not taking the time to learn how USE the search function sucks ass. Works just fine.

It's the dumbasses that can't SPELL for shit when they're writing a kick ass topic that screw it up for everyone else.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #16
My3ninos
Forum Member

I had started a thread for help yesterday re installing repairing the shifter mech. Just asked the wrong ?s

What I need help with is the shifter rod mount holding it up in the tunnel is broken.

Attached pics shows the rod has broken free of retainer and dropped down. The bushing looks plastic? and in need of replacement. The upper "clip or retainer or guide or ring" from the top of the tunnel dome is broken or twisted or .... well NOT good.

Wouldnt cutting an access panel to this "guide" area help?

Suggestions, directions to threads, greatly appreciated?

the "guide" or maybe that bushings retainer is just broken and hanging. Bad stuff

Old December 9th, 2010, 10:34 AM   #17
tequilla
Forum Member

I'm not gonna tell you to go buy a book since you are going to sell the car.............

There is an access plate at the front of the car under the hood / trunk lid. Remove the access plate. There is another access plate under the rear seat on top of the tunnel. Remove that one too and disconnect the shift coupler from the shifter rod. Then stick your hand in the shifter hole and start sliding the rod out toward the front of the car until you get to the end that was connected to the shift coupler. Now take your new plastic bushing and coat the inside with grease. Then slip the little retaining ring on into the groove. Then stick the bushing, pointy end first into the shifter hole toward the rear of the car and stick it into the bracket with a hole in it. Then grab the shifter rod and send it back to the rear (smear some grease on it) through the bushing back to the shift coupling. Re connect the shift coupler..... add the shifter (put some grease in the pocket on the shift rod) and you are done

Share your cheese....... here kitty, kitty.......
tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #18
ThrasherBill
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails...-111-701-255-B

You can cut an access panel in the tunnel, just cut 3 sides and bend it open. Bend it closed when you are done and tack it back in place.
You will need to remove the shift rod. Unbolt it from the coupler at the trans end (under an inspection panel under the back seat) and feed it out the front of the car through an access hole between the front beam. That plastic bushing is the only one in there and should be replaced at the same time.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails...-111-701-259-A
and the clip that holds the bushing
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails...WC-111-701-263

Quote:
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #19
My3ninos
Forum Member

Quote:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails...-111-701-255-B

You can cut an access panel in the tunnel, just cut 3 sides and bend it open. Bend it closed when you are done and tack it back in place.
You will need to remove the shift rod. Unbolt it from the coupler at the trans end (under an inspection panel under the back seat) and feed it out the front of the car through an access hole between the front beam. That plastic bushing is the only one in there and should be replaced at the same time.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails...-111-701-259-A
and the clip that holds the bushing
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails...WC-111-701-263

Perfect! Exactly what I needed in one posting. I had already found and read up on removing the rod, the bracket was what I needed to find.
Grats!
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #20
My3ninos
Forum Member

Thanks for the instructions! I found several like it in my search. The bracket itself has to be replaced but will bookmark this post as its going to be helpful.
Old December 9th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #21
rodderdan
Forum Member

I just did this (the bushing not the bracket).The bushing I got,West Coast Metric, was a CH too small in the ID.I took a dremel with a sanding drum and opened it up.The first time I tried to put the rod back in it pushed the new bushing out of the bracket and I had to fish for it.Also when you pull the shift rod out,if you haven't done so, pull a string along with it.It'll help get the rod back in without hitting the clutch,fuel and throttle cable tubes in the tunnel.The new bushing didn't close all the way on the shift rod and I couldn't get the metal ring on at all.Good luck.
rodderdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #22
My3ninos
Forum Member

The shifter lost the shifter rod at the ball and cup. The hanging bracket was shot. Got many great points, directions, links, suggestions, etc.

Finished the repair. I spent about 4 hours on the forums searching and reading the best methods for repairing the broken shift rod bracket. The actual job took me probably about 3 hours given I work slow on most everything and especially since I'm not a car guy much less a VW mech. If I use the wrong names or terms describing my process, just deal with my lack of VW background. My neighbor helped me about 15 minutes of the final feeding of the rod back through the car.

If anyone thinks this could be helpful as a separate thread let me know and I will post as a new topic. It will go away if I ever shut down that photobucket site. So consider it short lived.

Yes its been done before, here and other forums, sites, places. Just a different way of making the repair. Rates as a difficulty factor of 2 outta 10 for me mostly because I had to read so much to understand the repairs needed.

Shifter guide bracket replacement and bushing install.

In the motorcycle forums I host/Mod/Admin we encourage the newbies and those "in and out types" or "search onlys", the "lazy shade tree dudes", to leave behind what they have learned no matter how simple or difficult their task.

Thanks for the help and patience. Wont be here after the sale so best to all.
Old December 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #23
purplemyth
moody witch

Member Photo Albums

Looks good, someone will pick up the pics and save them for future searches. Maybe someone with a pd unlimited acct who has no ideas of ever leaving this nut house lol!.
45 pics would probably be over limit in attachments and profile albums and those would live on this server solely. But yeah, it would be cool in the tech bin .
My attraction to volksrods is that these are bottom-feeders where things are still real ... people scraping together parts, doing their own work and often on a tight budget. Real hot rodding is still alive here.
purplemyth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shifter bracket, shifter rod