Threads: 32,349
Total Online: 571

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by alykat

Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:07 AM   #1
1776super
Forum Member

I have a 72 Super and have big ideas about chopping the top. The huge square rear window would look ridiculous though. Obviously, a split window or oval could be grafted in. I don't know how easy it would be to find those in a junkyard. Though I do know it would be near impossible to find them in a junkyard around Detroit. Anyway, do you have any other clever ideas of a cool window that could be used?

I have this silly idea about mounting a couple of "triangle" shaped vent windows upside down next to each other, a split window type look, but it would open to vent. Maybe those could be sourced from a pickup truck or something. Don't know how well that would work considering the "flatness" and making it work with the curve of the rear sheetmetal. Do you have any other crazy ideas that might spur some brainstorming?
1776super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:35 AM   #2
hotrodheb

Ok, crazy Idea #1

Modify the window frame area to be able to mount the stock glass on the inside of the body. Then make the opening in the roof any size and shape that you want.

"READ more... post LESS." - Steve

"Girls who weld kick ass!" - Notched

"Grumpy, the new master of Anti-Donk." - TurboPunk

hotrodheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM   #3
Nick
Forum Member

Putting in different rear windows is pretty hard to pull off and make it look correct. It can be done, but IMO most don't look right. Most to me looks like it was done "just to be different" but still looks out of place to me. IMO don't imitate a split window, if you want a split window get a split window (figberlass if you have to) and use that to graft it in.

The easy way out is an Oval section, they can be bough on Samba regularly from $75 up + shipping, shouldn't cost too much to ship though shipgreyhound.com or fedex ground.

You could chop the glass lower and use lexan at back. Or you could put a louvered hatch, but that'll be pretty lame [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/FreakinSmiley.gif[/img]

some ideas IMO that doesn't work

these is doable but alot more has to be done to the car to pull everything together

better ideas:
maybe from a cut down vert glass?

pop outs

anotehr idea is to make the entire roof to the rear window plexi glass, somewhat like this

or this excapt glass instead of a ragtop

Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM   #4
1776super
Forum Member

Wow, thanks Nick! I really like the windowless one and the popout. All of these are great fodder to get the ideas going. Anything I do, I'll have to come to grips with having reduced rearward vision. Of course it'll be worth it if I pull off something decent looking.
1776super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:02 AM   #5
carcentric
Grateful Member #484

Here's a low cost option (with an outlaw theme):
- Leave the stock rear window in place, but add a rectangular frame on the OUTSIDE.
- Make the frame and add some vertical bars about 6" apart from 1/2" rebar, bent to fit the curves of the vw body snugly.
- Do the same to the side rear windows.

The theme? Late-1800s frontier jail. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old May 4th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #6
Cat Box
Forum Member

Member Photo Albums

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/imwithstupid.gif[/img] now that is crazy!

http://www.Rosecityvolksters.com
Cat Box is offline   Reply With Quote