Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,687
Threads: 32,349
Total Online: 554

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by alykat

Old October 20th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #26
Ryan
Capt A's super package

Default Re: Volksquad

after i worked on the underside for a while and welded up all the bits and pieces i could. i put it back down on 4 wheels and worked on the battery tray.
first pic shows some bracing underneith and the second pic shows the metal that i cut for it. the metal is from a wrx hood i had. (it was brand new but i guess something fell on it and dented it up in the middle... so it got tossed. and i grabbed it.) i spoted the panel in place.

good enough for today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volksquad 038.jpg (58.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 039.jpg (54.5 KB, 12 views)
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
If a dictionary could take a shit...
it would look like that sentence.~steve
Random stuff I am looking for: Dont think there is anything at the moment
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM   #27
Ryan
Capt A's super package

i did a little work to the quad today.

pulled the trans back out so i can finsh welding back there.. stuff like caping the top or the torsion housing and finshing the rear supports i welded in. i might do that tomorrow.

i also yanked out the motorcycle wiring harness. i think i can make it work for the quad... it is pretty simple harness... only like 4 fuses and they are the blade style so..... oh yeah rear inner fender and tail light came out too.

after that i started laying out stuff like throttle cable stuff. i put a little tab inside the frame to hold it close to the frame. from where the stock one ends i will have to rig something to work with the rest.

also picked up a universal battery tray and it fits on what i made pefectly.

i am kinda kicking around not running a fan shroud. the bike has a nice size oil cooler that was mounted to the front... if i used it i could not put it in the exact spot but close. any thoughts on this would be appreciated. you can see from the other pics that the motor would be just alllllllll open. and i kinda would like to use the stock brake light..... or does anyone have any alternate ideas that wont cost me an arm and a leg to do???

i
So don't tell me that I wouldn't drive to VT to pick up a rusted piece of shit.~scott76
Quote:
www.solar4soldiers.org (I am starting a non-profit to put solar panels on to disabled veterans homes. PM me for more details)
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:05 PM   #28
Ryan
Capt A's super package

got a little time on the quad today.

its the little things today.....

first pic is the clutch cable keeper i made. in the pic you see the circle? well that was on the other side too... until i cut it off and moved it to the top of the tube.

second pic is from the trans point of view. you can see the clutch cable on the left side.

third pic is of the bowden tube i made and bracket to hold it. i think the tube started off as a ebrake tube that was in the frame horn... i'm not sure but i think so. i made a little stop on it on the trans side. still need to do the same on the bracket side.

i also started cutting some tubing for the throttle cable guide back towards the motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volksquad 040.jpg (57.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 042.jpg (80.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 043.jpg (61.9 KB, 18 views)
Quote:
Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:34 PM   #29
Ryan
Capt A's super package

today i welded up some of the bits and pieces and preped the tops of the rear torsion housing. i ran out of cut off wheels so i couldnt make them.

but i started off working on the gas tank. i cut the fuel tap out of an old tank and repaired the rusty metal. then i took all the stuff off the bike tank. i got a bit of a suprize when i opened the tank.... it had about an inch of mud in it. so i took out the hose and washed it out best i could... there still is a lot oc scale and shit in there but that is what por 15 tank sealer is for.

so i cut a nice hole into the tank and welded the vw piece in and also closed up another hole that was for the fuel guage. and that is your pic of the day.

i also welded in the throttle guide tubes.

i have been debating on how to 'finish' the frame. i know i dont want it to shine... and i think the best thing would be to have some texture to it because of the use of some metal that was pitted (like the front braces) and it will hide the monstrosities of my welding. i was thinking aobut hammertone paint, just a satin black paint, or an undercoating/bed liner type stuff. every piece i can take off of the frame was going to be satin black... rest of the paint i am unsure of... i was thinking dark gray or maybe something loud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volksquad 044.jpg (70.7 KB, 10 views)
Quote:
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #30
Ryan
Capt A's super package

between yesterday and today i got a little done on the quad.

first order of business is the oil cooler mounts. i am using the original oil cooler from the 600 gsxr.

first pic. i took this random strap i had from a mower deck and cut them to this shape.

second pic. here they are welded into the frame. picture is looking up from under the quad.

third pic. so i had to make the upper mounts and what better to use than a bumper bracket? so i split it in half.

fourth pic shows the braces (the X) and the cooler in place after some grinding and bending

i also grabbed a junk motor i have and attached it to the dummy trans so i can work on the oil lines
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volksquad 045.jpg (46.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 046.jpg (53.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 047.jpg (53.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 048.jpg (62.9 KB, 5 views)
Quote:
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:01 AM   #31
Ryan
Capt A's super package

sweet! the oil plugs from the bike fit the remote oil mount on the vw motor... how killer is that??!!!

so in this pic it shows the tubes on the remote mount. this end is actually the ones that were supposed to go on the cooler up front. i will run the lines up as far as i can and then adapt new lines to the rest .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volksquad 049.jpg (59.9 KB, 5 views)
Quote:
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #32
Ryan
Capt A's super package

continuing on the oil lines.....

first pic is some 1/2 inch tubing i bent up. did 2 of them

second pic is them welded together with inch long spacers

they kinda sorta follow the frame lines. and then under the gas tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volksquad 051.jpg (98.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 052.jpg (50.4 KB, 8 views)
Quote:
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:30 PM   #33
Ryan
Capt A's super package

update from the last 2 days.

first 2 pics show the oil lines welded in and additional minor bends.

third pic is the front end without the light/guage mount. i need to figure out what to do about the horn. it sticks out in front of the forks.

to explain the last 2 pics i have to go back to a week or so ago when i modified the gas tank... well i decided to put the speedometer into the tank. to do this i cut out the guage hole from a dash. then cut out the filler hole from the tank. i am going to fashion a tube that will go through the entire tank. that way i can mount the guage and run the associated crap to it. unfortunately this caused 2 issues... 1. its eating up about a gallon or fuel space. and 2. the tube will go right through the fuel piece i welded in the other day.

now, to remedy these issues i did some cutting. cut most of the bottom out of the tank. the tank will grow about a gallon on the back half. so with a nice access to the tank i decided to work a bit on getting ready of some rust and mud
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volksquad 053.jpg (174.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 054.jpg (142.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 055.jpg (110.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 056.jpg (142.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg volksquad 058.jpg (164.6 KB, 8 views)
Quote:
Old November 3rd, 2007, 07:17 PM   #34
Ryan
Capt A's super package

here is some update pics.

this one shows another view of the oil lines

and here is the speedo test fitted with the metal just tacked in. i have started some of the expansion of the tank but i dont have any pics of it yet
Quote:
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #35
Ryan
Capt A's super package

this morning i made my new shifter.

started out with this old rusty shifter

as you can see i cut it a few inches from the bottom. the shifter isnt very thick so to make it bigger i took a bicycle seat post and cut it. the end of it narrowed some so i cut that and made it a step from the larger seat tube down to the shifter. so here is all the pieces laid out.

and here they are test fited together

i did a little welding and here is the finished product. ill put a shift boot on it later to finish it up
Quote:
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #36
Ryan
Capt A's super package

whooohooo! my seat came in the mail today. it was a really good deal so i snatched it up.

went out to the garage and tossed it on. it will have to get recovered but now i can figure out the sides (the area above the frame and below the tank).. dont know if i am gonna do fiberglass or metal
Quote:
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #37
Ryan
Capt A's super package

nothing to exciting today to report... worked on the steering a little. got the tie rod hole on the forks done and started making the one that will attach to the long tierod beetween the front tires. besides that i just tacked a little piece to the gas tank to make sure it clears the lines inside the frame
Quote:
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:00 PM   #38
Ryan
Capt A's super package

went back out there and took some cardboard with me. this pic shows where i am going to cover some stuff.they are a bit dark. what i am thinking as of now is the lower open areas is to cover them with mesh. i tried to put a lower belly pan that i have on but i think it is too low to use it.
Quote:
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #39
Ryan
Capt A's super package

here is the update from todays work.

here is the front bracket for the steering stabilizer

and the rear bracket

here it is installed and the new front tie rod that i made. steering is now done
Quote:
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #40
Ryan
Capt A's super package

ok the other bit that i thought about today is finishing the frame. the katana normally is covered in plastic. i like the look of the streetfighter style motorcycles. the problem with this style and the katana is around the seats. the seat sits about 1 1/2" wider than the frame on each side. so this looks kinda stupid and i need to remedy it.

what this pic shows is how i am going to use conduit to bump out the frame. the conduit is not for structural use. but i can use it for making the frame look bigger than it is. i am going to do it in 2 pieces per side. the first one is going under the seats and attach to the frame about mid way. this is what you see in the pic. the second piece is taped on but represents what i plan. the second one will travel up and around the tank. once on these will be painted or line-x'ed or what ever.
Quote:
Old November 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #41
Ryan
Capt A's super package

got a little time on the quad today. i will post some pics tomorrow since it is dark.

i started to build out the fake frame pieces. looks pretty good so far.
Quote:
Old November 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #42
Ryan
Capt A's super package

ok i couldnt help it.... i had to go out and mess with it until i could take a pic.

i didnt have a bender around so i pulled a gumpy (thanks bud!) and cut slits in it and then bent it. this will be fine for my application since these are not structure pieces and when the frame is covered you wont see any of it

i am using 3/4 inch for the bottom piece... bent in 3 places. i tacked it on in one spot but i will need to make a few braces tomorrow

the top piece you can see took a bit more

from this angle you can see all the turns that twist and turn around the tank.
Quote:
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #43
Ryan
Capt A's super package

i got to work a little on the quad today. i took a few pics but they are still on the camera and it is down stairs.

got the extra 'frame' pieces welded in. looks good. it looks just like the pics above but they are actually welded in and it is both sides

the wind right now is beating the piss out of the garage. i hope it is still standing in the morning
Quote:
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #44
Ryan
Capt A's super package

a bit of good news today... the garage is still standing. some of the eyelets tore out.

more good news. my buddy george called, he has to work like an hour north of me this week so he made a little side trip and dropped off a motor for me. he is a member of a porsche club and some guy was giving away a vw motor. he tried to get it but it was already claimed. 2 weeks go by and he get a message to come grab it from the new owner. so he brought it up tonight. its a 1600 single port. stored inside for a good long while.

looks like it is time to learn how to rebuild motors
Quote:
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #45
Ryan
Capt A's super package

wow its depressing that it is the end of march and i just now went back out to the garage. what did i accomplish you ask?????

i drilled 2 holes.

seriously i was out there for 4 hours and i drilled 2 fucking holes.

first show of the season here is in 36 days and i want the quad to be there. so i found a lawnmower gas tank that i mounted (i.e. drilled 1 hole) it sits under the back seat. it should work until i get a new real tank.

the second hole i drilled to mount a starter switch. it sits below the rear pegs.

i made a list of things i need to pirate from the bug:
starter
fuel pump
regulator
battery
flywheel
generator
coil
possibly the trans

things i need to find or order
1600 exhaust
1600 single port manifold
trans paper gaskets
brake lines (soft) all 4 corners
hard brake lines for the rear
Quote:
Old April 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #46
Ryan
Capt A's super package

got outside for a little bit yesterday. i hot a hook up with some wheels and tires... just need the wide 5 to chevy adapters... not sure what size though. some wide ass meats though. they rock... ill take pics as soon as i can.

also when i was out there i pulled the starter and most of the rear brake lines form the bug.
Quote:
Old April 15th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #47
Ryan
Capt A's super package

yesterday i got all the other stuff on my list off of the bug... except the flywheel and trans.

i need to pick up some of those paper gaskets for the trans that go on the axle covers. then i can clean it up and be ok there.
Quote:
Old April 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM   #48
Ryan
Capt A's super package

went to campbelton today. picked up some front brake hoses. and i got some wheel adapters... but they were for the wrong chevy bolt pattern. so now those are listed up on the sale section.
Quote:
Old May 13th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #49
Ryan
Capt A's super package

in the past few days i got the front brakes all bent and cut and put in.

tonight i pulled the motor out of the bug. hopefully tomorrow i will grab the trans
Quote:
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:23 AM   #50
Ryan
Capt A's super package

no pics from yesterday. after i got back from picking up a golf to use for work i got out and started playing with the quad some more. i swaped nosecones on the trans. then i wheeled out the quad into the yard. picked it up by the rear frame horns and walked it outside. spun it around and back inside it went. that way i could have easier access to the motor and trans. hooked up the trans and put the rear wheels on. also hooked up the shifter.

today i need to go get another piece of tubing so i can fix my screwup with the steering cross bar. i originally made it about 2 inches too short.

i also found a single port intake manifold out in my pile of crap. so i need to clean that out too. other motor suuff i need to do is put a flywheel and pulley on... then i can build the rest of it up and instal it
Quote: