Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,687
Threads: 32,349
Total Online: 565

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by alykat

Old November 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #26
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Default Re: O/T: project Hillbilly Meet

Got the rest of the west wall rocked, and did a bit more work on the heater. This is just the hardybacker, but we just got home from Lowe's, and I think we decided on the tile for the surround. It's starting to take shape.

Now I just need to fine a 10" x 26" piece of copper flashing.
Old December 17th, 2008, 06:17 PM   #27
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Did a bit of a redesign on the corner. Actually, I just didn't think of it at first. So I removed the sheetrock from the top corner and replaced it with 3/4" plywood, and had to make a recessed area...

Then I added a top and electric to the back of the recessed portion...

Then I built a wall on top of that.....

Then I covered the wall with 3/4" ply wood....

Added a 2x4 to each side of the corner flush to the edge of the sheet rock....

And then added a "pony" wall across the top(between the last 2x4's I added.And this is where I left off Sunday night....

I'll have more progress later. Got sick Monday night and yesterday, while I was sick, the pipes to the washing machine broke so I crawled my sick butt under the house to fix that. So once the weather co-operates, and I'm not so sick, I'll finish this thing so you all can see the methods of my madness.
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:45 AM   #28
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Went out this morning and picked up three more pieces of sheetrock so I can finish the upstairs. It's also enough to "face" the section above the heater. I'll throw up some pics later today. Then you all will "get" what's going on above the heater.
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM   #29
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

So it's been a few days since my last visit. But in my defense, I've been a little busy.

But on to the update. Since my last post, I have installed the sheet rock on the top part of the "fire place".....

Then I added a few pieces of Schedule 40 and some bondo.....

And then I painted the back black, added 1/4" Birch to the sides and back, and installed the outlets. I still need to finish it all off, and install the new breaker in the box, but it's looking good so far....

And all of this for what????

This!!!!

Old December 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #30
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Yesterday was a busy one. I started off by removing the plaster from the west wall of the new"laundry" room and a portion of the ceiling. Unfortunately, I found some wires that a "critter" had eaten all the insulation off of. So I traced it down, pulled the breaker, and since it went to a plug in that will be removed anyway, I went ahead and pulled it.

Then I framed in the old door from the laundry room into the breakfast room. With the door framed up, it was time to head into the crawl space and move the plumbing. I had to get creative since I'm removing thin wall and replacing it with schedule 40, but we now have hot and cold water to the new washer location.

Next, it was time to do a little electrical work. Previously, the washer was plugged into a circuit that fed all the plugs and the lights in the mud room. I'm not the safest guy on the block, but I like major appliances to be on their own circuit. So, using the breaker I removed earlier, I pulled a new, "stand alone" circuit for the washer. I'm going to install a light off this circuit also, but a 3' florescent light will not pull enough juice to cause a problem.

On to the dryer.... To start, the breaker for the dryer was on the right side of the box, and the washer was on the left. But there was a 30A 220 breaker on the left just under the washer breaker. It was the breaker for the A/C unit in the living room. So I rewired the two breakers so that the dryer is now under the washer, and the A/C breaker is now on the right side of the panel. Then I went ahead and pulled the circuit for the entertainment center to the panel and wired it up. No more extension cords to run the TV and DVD player.

And that's where I left off for the night. As for today, I all the stuff to reroute the dryer vent. It's going to be hidden behind a set of cabinets, so I want a permanent vent duct. A trip to the lumber yard and I found out that a piece of 4" thin wall PVC is the same size as the dryer vent. So in a few, this will be installed and the dryer will be operational again.

I will also be removing the rest of the ceiling and old insulation. Then I will be installing, and wiring three new light boxes for the laundry room. Once they are all buttoned up, I'll be re-insulating the ceiling of the laundry and bath rooms.

I know, a lot of reading and no pics, but I didn't figure you all wanted to see pics of piles of rubble.
Old December 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM   #31
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

It took the largest part of the day, but the ceiling and all the insulation has been removed from the new laundry room and the new bathroom. I also rewired both rooms. Just taking a little brake, and Jamie just went for "lunch". When I'm finished eating, I'll be installing the new insulating in preparation for the dry wall that will be arriving in the morning.

That's all for now... Back to work. I only have 8 months left!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:51 PM   #32
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Got the bath room finished. Well, not finished, but fully sheet rocked,wired, and the sink is installed. The floor is next on the list for the bath room.

As for the laundry room, I'll be insulating the "wet wall" in a few, and the sheet rock is already cut, so it won't take long to finish.

I'll try to get a few pics up later.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #33
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

And we're done....

I ended up building a few other pieces also. I added the "shaft" for the cold and hot water lines and the gas line into the attic of the mud room. We are going to be installing a whole house, tank less hot water heater and I needed a place for the supply and return lines.

I still need to finish one small section of the wall around the door into the mud room, but it will take all of 15 min. to do. And I also need to finish the north wall. I saved it for last due to the "chilly" weather we are having. Once it's finished, and I clean up the mess, I'll post up a few pics.

Old January 9th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #34
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Feeling a bit better today and so it's time to get back to work. I hope to have all the sheetrock finished up today and be ready for mud and tape. If I get that far, I'll snap a few pics. As it is, there is way to much stuff in the room to get any clear shots of anything.
Old January 11th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #35
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

After 66 (+ hours now) of being up working on this, watching kids, and one 2 year old birthday party, the new bath room, laundry, and mud room are now ready to mud, tape, prime, and paint. I'm going to be working on the floor tomorrow night so I can get it ready for tile and carpet. Mud and tape work shouldn't take more than a few days to a week. Hope to have the shower installed by the end of the month.

That's all for now.
Old January 15th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #36
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Had a few issues to tend to this week, so I haven't been able to work on the rooms. But that is all about to change. The gun is loaded, compressor is charging up, and the sub floor will soon be shot down. I also have the mud and tape ready for as soon as the floor is done.

Should make for another fun filled weekend.
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:06 PM   #37
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

The bathroom is ready for sanding of the final mud coat. I also have the first coat of mud in the entryway and laundry portion finished up. With any luck I'll be putting the primer on the walls tomorrow or Monday.
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #38
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Damn... Guess I've been kind of slackin' on the pics for a while. I just realized I haven't posted any pics of the bathroom or any of the other areas since the demo process. So here is a quick pictorial update.

Here is the first new wall for the bathroom standing in place. The shower will be where the hot water heater is. For some reason, I didn't get a pic of the second wall when it was framed up...

Then I removed this door leading into the breakfast room. The washer and dryer now occupy this space...

And with that all removed, and the shipment of sheetrock from junkyardoval, it was time to remove the old ceiling. In the first pic, you can see the framework of the breakfast room wall with the doorway framed up...

And once I had the ceiling removed, I found that a critter had been chewing on the wiring. So I replaced all the questionable circuits....

With the wiring replaced, new circuts ran, and all the sheetrock on hand, I rocked the bathroom and mounted the sink. This was just a test fit to get the wall mount in the right location and height once the tile floor is down...

So with the sink mount secured to the wall, all that was left to do was the mud and tape work. This is after the first mud coat. There are now three coats and all the joints been floated out...

There's a new window on order to replace this old wood single hung...

Once again, this is where the new shower will be...

And here is how the laundry area turned out...

The "open" area to the left of the washer is where the plumbing and gas lines will lead into the attic for the new tank less hot water heater...

And finally, here are two shots of the entryway/hallway created by the addition of the bathroom. This door will also be replaced with a new insulated steel door...

So there you have it. Finally got the pics off the camera and posted up. The bathroom is now ready for primer, and the joints in the entry way have been mud and taped. I'll see if I can remember to post pics a bit more often in the future.
Old February 7th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #39
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I forgot to add these here:

And today I decided to relax a bit. So I started out this morning by dumping the brush out of my truck, checking the oil wells, stopping off at the oil field supply store to pick up new belts for one of the wells, then I headed to the lumber yard to pick up the new window for the new bathroom. While I was there, I also picked up some lumber. Once I got home, I cleaned up the bathroom, added a third coat of paint to the walls, and then blew the dust off the shaper. Then I spent the rest of the day milling out the crown molding for the new bath. Came out nice if ya ask me. I just put the primer coat on it, but I'll get a few pics once it's all dry.
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #40
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Got the window installed and I'm in the process of installing the crown molding now. Jamie has a really bad head ache, so I'm working and watching the boys at the same time. So it may be a little while before I get the pics taken and posted.
Old March 28th, 2009, 08:54 PM   #41
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Been a little while since I posted here, but I now have the bathroom finished to a point. I am ready to lay the tile and then put in the fixtures.

So it's on to the rest of the room. I mentioned in the other thread how I needed to find a new location for the hot water heater. Well, this is the place I chose:

But since you walk directly toward it when you enter the back door, I wanted to add a door so you didn't see it. This meant that I needed to remove the sheetrock and build a wall with a doorway. I also put horizontal 2 x 6" boards in the wall for the water heater to mount to. This is what it ended up looking like:

and here is the 180 looking from the new utility closet out:

As you can see, I have most of the mud work done. This was about 7:00 yesterday morning. I did the final sand on the closet and primed it before going to bed last night:

This morning, I sanded the rest of the entryway and began the final mud work on it. I also had to finish off the access hole into the attic for this part of the house:

I have the boards that will support the cover panel cut, but want the ceiling finished and painted before I add them.

So with the primer in the utility closet dry, it was time to paint the ceiling in there:

Like the color? It's that color change ceiling paint. It goes on purple so you can see where you missed, but dries white. Works great.

Then after it had dried for about two hours, I painted the walls. Started out by trimming all the corners and around the outlet:

They look orange in the pics, but it's due to the 100 watt bulb I have in there to aid in the drying. They are actually a kind of khaki tan color:

Then while that was drying, I finished up all the mud work and sanding in the entryway. Tomorrow I will be priming the ceiling and walls in there and getting the color coats in them. Slowly coming together, but still coming along.
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #42
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Been working all day trying to make the walls as smooth as possible. I'm not going to texture them, so it takes a while. But I'm done. It will be ready for primes in a few. Just taking a brake from cleaning up the dust before I start priming.
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #43
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Other than a lot of sanding this was the most productive part of the day:

Old April 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM   #44
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

well.... I FINALLY got everything smooth enough for my likings. And the ceiling is now fully primed. I'll hit it with one more coat tomorrow night after I prime the walls. Pics will fallow...
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #45
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I got the walls primed and ready for paint by Friday night. Then yesterday the temp was in the upper 70's, perfect for painting. Unfortunately, my temp was in the 103 range and I laid in bed all day.

Today the temps are in the 40's, but I have a heater going in there to try to get the temp up enough to get color on the walls today. Here's hopin'.
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #46
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

As I said earlier, I got the walls all primed and the ceiling painted Friday:

Then tonight, I started applying color to the walls:

I still need to hit them with a second coat tomorrow night, but I think they look good. Jamie got home and really liked them. She was a bit skeptical about the color at first.

The last "construction" thing to do in here is replace these two windows and the smaller on in the previous pics.

That's all for now.
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #47
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

I've had a lot of other stuff going on so not much work has been done in the new rooms for a while. However, yesterday, I finally finished all the "little" things that were holding me up, and I got the remaining few areas primed.

Then we went to the ball game (which w won 56-something).

So this morning, I applied a second coat to the ceiling. While that was drying, I did my best Cinderella impersonation. On my hands and knees with a bucket and a scrub brush.... That's right, I had to get all the crud off the floor so I can paint it tonight before we go to bed.

So with the ceiling dry, and the floor all clean, it was time to put another color coat on the walls. I just finished that. I'm gonna take a brake for dinner while the walls are drying and then I'll be painting the sub floor. Now I know some are asking them selfs "why paint the sub floor"?

Welp.... The paint is actually more like a sealer. It will help to "water proof" (if there is such a thing) the sub floor. I'll be installing an overlay on top of it and then we will install the carpet over that. Still not sure when that will be, but not to far off now.

Til next time...
Old April 19th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #48
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

Just finished painting the first coat on the floor. Time for a little rest. Then I'll do another coat.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:49 PM   #49
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

As I said in my last posts, I cleaned the floor:

Then I applied one coat of decking paint (then the kids tracked sheetrock dust on it ):

Then tonight I added a few things to make the place look a bit better. I just have them held up with push pins for the moment to get the spacing right:

Old April 25th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #50
Ray-Dean
Forum Member

So like I said, had to decide whether to build the fence or work on the floor. Well, the floor won...

The first thing that needed to be done was to remove this old floor drain:

As you can see, it was sticking about 1/4" above the floor. So I went under the house and removed the pipe and drain. Then I screwed a piece of 3/4" plywood to the under side.

Looking a little better:

Then I filled the top portion so it is now flush with the rest of the floor.

Looking even better:

Then I went ahead and covered the rest of the floor. The 1/4" OSB is screwed and glued to the sub floor. I cut out the area where the tile will be under the washer and dryer.

Now that's what I'm talking 'bout!

Now I just need to move the washer and dryer so I can put the Hardy Backer down. Then the floor will be ready for carpet and tile.