Cut-Weld-Drive Forums

Go Back   Cut-Weld-Drive Forums > The VolksRodders Forum > Members Intros and Project Updates!

Members Intros and Project Updates! New member introductions and project updates...
Your ongoing "journals"...

User Information
Your Avatar

Stuff to check out...

Cool stuff you NEED!

Forum Stats
Members: 17,687
Threads: 32,348
Total Online: 550

Newest Member: Tylerted

Latest Threads
- by alykat

Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:50 AM   #51
squidfire
Forum Member

Right, sorry for not updating for quite a few days, but I have been working on it honest!

I've taken back the paint and huge amounts of filler on the passenger side, and have added a repair patch to the passenger rear inner wing.

Dez has been working on my floorpan, has shortened it already and now prepping it to make the engine cage :cool:
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:53 AM   #52
squidfire
Forum Member

Couple more pics (Thanks Dez)
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:01 AM   #53
squidfire
Forum Member

Right, today's pictures. As you can see I've been sanding back to bare metal, adding patches where needed etc. I've put a patch on the rear inner wing where the bolts holes should be, and I've done the same to the front inner wing. Have welded around the bottom of the A pillar, tidied up a few bits on the inside of the door, around the top etc, just filling in pin pricks and bit's I'd missed. Starting to come together now
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:26 AM   #54
squidfire
Forum Member

Afternoon again.

Today I just finished a couple of things off on the passenger side, and gave a quick shot of primer to stop corrosion until I properly paint it...and ground a bit more paint off where I had missed the day before, so the passenger side looks like this now:
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:30 AM   #55
squidfire
Forum Member

Then I made a start on the drivers side, basically doing the same thing, tidying up welds, filling in pin holes, welding up wing mounts, grinding the paint and filler back and adding repair patches where needed.
You can see in the pictures...the remains of my first car and donor...awww, my ugly mug getting in the way, and the bare metal drivers side that I ended up with today, still needs some more work but doesn't it always!
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #56
squidfire
Forum Member

yes I do have blue hair - attention seeking ponce I know I know... it's errr...in respect to the dying donor beetle which is errr blue, yes that's right. Hmnn
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:26 AM   #57
squidfire
Forum Member

That blue donor has to go next week, gonna get it taken to the crusher , I don't want to as it was my first car, but it's just getting in the way. Ah well.

Unless someone wants a free rotten beetle, it'll be gone soon :cry:
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #58
squidfire
Forum Member

Injury update!!

Check this beauty out.... it's developing nicely, 3 or 4 weeks in I think, haha
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:10 PM   #59
squidfire
Forum Member

Injury update!!

Check this beauty out.... it's developed nicely, 3 or 4 weeks in I think, haha
Old August 28th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #60
squidfire
Forum Member

Went up to the 31st Street Rod Nationals in Ipswich today, was a great show.
Check out my Pics
Old August 29th, 2005, 09:05 AM   #61
squidfire
Forum Member

Did a little today, tried not too make too much noise today with the grinder as it is bank holiday monday n'all..., so I cut the braces off the bottom of the doors over the heater channels, becuase I havn't welded up the bottom of the heater channels the is still quite a lot of slack in the doors. I welded a cross brace on the B pillar to set the right door gap and got it so the doors open perfectly combined with a pillar going from the base of the B pillar to the top of the A pillar near the dash the doors are now sorted. Well....they open and close properly with the braces on...I hope it all stays like that after I've welded the bits on.

I've lifted up the side in preparation for welding the undersides.
Old August 30th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #62
squidfire
Forum Member

Today I have cut out some heater channel bottoms out of the old roof section, I welded I both sides and will trim it to shape tomorrow....as ANOTHER angle grinder died today!
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #63
squidfire
Forum Member

So the heater channel idea has worked out pretty well I think, It has made the channels only about an inch thick and the door bottoms the lowest part of the sides, which is exactly what I wanted. I have only spot welded down each side at the moment, I still need to work out what to do under the rear quarters, but I think there is enough metal to be able to weld it all together without adding any new bits in. I still need to finish up the top end under the A pillar...but again not sure what to do...but I'm sure i'll work it out if I stare at it long enough! :cool:

I guess I'll have to go and buy another angle grinder tomorrow :mad:
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:33 AM   #64
squidfire
Forum Member

I've worked hard today, got a new angle grinder which is considerably more powerful than the last, grinds through metal much better than the last. Today I have cut back the extra metal from where I used the oversized heater channel bottom, so that the edges are flush and reasonably straight, I have continued welding the bottom part up and under the rear quarter, and bent it up on the inside edge to meet the heater channel side. I welded all the sides together, but I have left the end open for now, until I get the body dropped over the floorpan, I won't be able to tell quite where it will fit. I have done this both sides, and I have noticed a huge increase in structural strength now, which is reassuring. So tommorrow hopefully I will fill in the pin pricks in the welding, and check around the B pillar and around the inside and underside on both sides.
I will then hopefully make a cap for under the A pillars, again I'm not too sure what to do there until I know how low the body will be. I'm still not sure quite how low I want it, as I want it to be practical..but still as low as possible
Old September 1st, 2005, 08:47 AM   #65
squidfire
Forum Member

Today I finished up the bits of welding along the sides of the passenger side heater channel, filling in the pin pricks etc, then ground it all smooth and gave it a quick shot of primer. I then spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning and sweeping the garage - it really needed it after taking all the filler/paint off last week.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 09:08 AM   #66
squidfire
Forum Member

Today I stripped the front beam on the blue bug, so now have a load of things on ebay, stub axles, spindle, calipers, disks, stinger,quickshift etc to fund more grinding disks.

Have a look:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZsquidfire